Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Taxiderpy

Default Prospective new puppy. CAN'T DECIDE. HELP!

AUGH! I need chazzer helps!

So... what should I get? This is so hard!

Basically, I would really really like/love a guard/watch dog right now. At the very least something alert that will bark a lot when people come on the property, or at least wake up when people freaking try to break in the front door!!! (I'm looking at you, borzois )

Option 1: Fila. I've always wanted a fila. Like, really really bad. Of all the molossers there are three I've adored. Tibetan mastiffs, filas, and kuvasz. I can't afford a Tibetan, and don't know any kuvasz breeders. But there's a fila breeder whose dogs I have met who are amazing, and stunning, and stable. And they just tied yesterday. And this pair has produced a litter before, and that litter turned out awesome as well. Also, of the three I adore filas because they double as hunting dogs and have plenty of drive and ability to do tracking. Fantastic with kids too.

Cons: Renting with a fila at some point might be a challenge. The general challenges of having to crate when my kids have friends over, and uberdy dubery super socialization, etc. And I'm not super crazy about the gigantimous size. I wish filas came in 60-100 lbs. because that would be perfect right now.

Option 2: Working-bred hunting cur of some type: There are a couple of hunters with Kemmer curs and catahoulas that might have something available. The dogs are hunted hardcore on coyote and very successful. They're guardy of home and family, smart, could totally track. Fantastic with kids.

Cons: If I have to move into a place without a yard it will be a lot more difficult to tire out a cur with that kind of breeding. Also, DA is a possibility.

Option 3: Beezer!! They're sight hounds and would meld in with the current pack extremely well. They've got great noses and scent drive so I can play around with that. They are incredible and vocal watch dogs and would likely be a good deterrent. I suspect that a barking beezer would get my nosy borzois up to see what's going on, so anybody trying to break in would totally see three giant dogs. Their size is a good too.

Cons: Kleptos. They jump really reeeeaaally high. Guarding ability is an unsure thing. Probably more active than a fila.

Option 4: Some type of scent hound, like a walker or a redbone. Maybe just an alert barrroooooo type of dog that will bark at people and stuff. Plus it can go hunting and barrrooooo at raccoons.

Cons: Not sure if I want one right now.

Option 5: Anything I haven't thought of? I'm not really interested in any herding breeds, and don't really like any of the sporting dogs except gordons and don't want a gordon right now. Anything I get MUST be dog friendly, at least with my other two. And I'm planning to start with a puppy, so am not worried about kid friendly since that will come with being raised around the kids.

Option 6: This is the hardest one. I have the opportunity to get a borzoi puppy from lines I ABSOLUTELY ADORE. In caps. And it wouldn't cost anything. And I would love it. I might have a similar opportunity again in a few years, but it's not a sure thing. This isn't a sure thing either, as futurepuppy hasn't been born yet, but it's due and the offer is there.

Cons: It won't be a watch dog and at three dogs, that the absolute limit for now.

AAUGH WHAT DO I DOOOOO!!!!?!?!?!!?!111eleventy1
Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Personally? I think I'd go for the borzoi puppy and just invest in an alarm system.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Felurian

Frankly, knowing what I know about your situation -- Fila, especially considering what you know of the breeder and the lines.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Jelly baby?

I'd go with the Borzoi or the Beezer, but I'm sort of partial to sighthounds :P

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Taxiderpy

There are two beezer puppies from awesome lines available as well. They're two weeks old.

Why does this have to be so hard? lol

ETA: and I could get one of them on show/sport co-ownerships too. Gah.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
*Now with Snark*

You can buy alarms that will bark... between that a shotgun I think you'd save money on the deal.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

My vote goes to the cur or beezer.

(I'll add that it depends how seriously you need an alert--if you really need it I guess I'd get an alarm system. Personally I don't like alarm systems but then I don't feel in need of one.)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Taxiderpy

I've been checking out alarm systems. There are gate alarms, but I haven't found one that sounds remotely inside the house. The other issue with that is it only sounds once the gate has been opened. Ideally it would be nice to know when someone is approaching/messing with it.

Are there alarms with remote sensors that beep when something passes through it? Like awesome little lazer beams that shine across your driveway or something? Cause that would be rad. lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would go with Borzoi personally You really want one, and with Filas, more-so due to weight than breed..renting is very very hard :/

Totally kind of aside, speaking of security stuffs.. I found this great one on amazon, it's only like $30

it beeps ONCE any time a door is opened at all, and if you don't put in your password within 30 seconds... the alarm goes off.
You can set it to "away" or " at home" and such and it's wireless so you don't have to pay to install it! hurray!

http://www.amazon.com/45117-Deluxe-W...=IQLIUG8AZFX4Y
Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Borzoi so I can be wicked jealous.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.