Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Puppy Dog

Default What type of dog fits my lifestyle?

I've been looking at dog breeds for quite awhile trying to see which one fits me/my lifestyle the best, and i guess i need some help choosing.
I've figured out what i want in a dog, but after looking at some dog breeds, i don't think any breeds fit what i want. I'm not that experienced with dogs and training them, so I think dogs like Rottweilers might be kinda difficult for me. But yet, I want a dog who is wary with strangers. I'm not that fond of those friendly to everybody breeds like Golden Retrievers.

I want a dog that is vigilant and bark and size alone will restrain intruders. So my problem is, i like the big vigilant intimidating dogs, but yet i'm a novice and experienced dog owners and trainers say that a novice shouldn't own those type of dogs because they are assertive and strong willed. This got me stuck in the mud because i wouldn't be that comfortable owning and controlling a strong willed dominant breed. So now i don't know which breed would fit me because i want a big, vigilant, intimidating dog........(i don't know about an attack guard dog) but i'm not experienced, and a dog like a Rottweiler would probably be too challenging for me. So i'm confused with that part.

Shedding doesn't matter to me, I'm willing to groom but not too much. I like velcro dogs and I'd prefer a more easily trainable dog.

I've looked at quite a few dog breeds but i can't find any that fit me. Could you guys help me out?? Do you know of any breeds that fit this?

I've most often considered either a Bernese Mountain dog, or a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, but a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog might be a little challenging too. What do you think?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Twin 2

I'm posting just to bump this back up, I know when your threads get caught in moderation they tend to fall behind and not get seen.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

From what you are describing..I'd almost think chow. They are pretty easy to housebreak, not horribly destructive, etc. They are somewhat independent and are happy doing their own thing. Their people usually love them. But...your average chow is not going to be social. They do not typically appreciate strangers..dog parks, boarding kennels, social events...you may have to put one away when friends and family come to visit. A lot of groomers won't groom them. They shouldn't be over the top aggressive but definitely wary of strangers.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Dafuq?

Perhaps a more mellow mastiff type, such as a bullmastiff? I don't have any experience with them, personally, so i don't know how dominant/assertive they are. Akitas are very cool, stranger-aloof dogs, too, but they can be tricky to train because they don't exactly jump to please you.

Be aware that a guarding breed without structure/training can be a liability. Whatever you get, make sure to socialize, and you should probably take a few training classes with them so that someone with more experience can teach you to teach your dog. Woth the socialization, even if you don't want an outgoing dog, it is important they have that exposure so that they know they don't have to guard you against friendly strangers. Guardians need confidence, and that comes from experience in the world. JMO.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

To be perfectly honest a big, guard-type breed isn't the only type that will give you what you are looking for. A medium sized dog can also meet what you are looking for. For example I have a standard poodle. Very friendly, extremely easy to train but will bark when someone comes onto our property and will continue until I say it's OK & greet the person. Also, a black dog is more intimidating looking. I can remember one time when I woke up to hear my dogs barking at the sliding door - I knew by the bark that there was a stranger at the door. When I looked it was a deputy sheriff. He came to see if I had seen or heard anything the night before because a street over had a couple of break-ins. He said they were warning everyone to make sure to keep their doors locked but that he was sure that wasn't necessary for me with my barkers! He was surprised how friendly they were once I had greeted him & told them it was OK.

While I agree with the prior post about Chows I wouldn't recommend the breed for a novice. I personally think they need a someone with experience with their type of personality.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

I have a 25 lb black ball of fluff, and I see people cross to the other side of the street when I'm walking her. You don't need an overly large dog to deter people.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Why not go to the local shelter and look at some medium to largeish black dogs, I've found no matter what the breed or mix if the dog is black people will make sure to stay out of that dogs way.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

If you want a dog for intimidation...any large, dark, "scary" looking dog will do the trick. Also, from my experience, even breeds that are "friendly" can definitely have a watch dog type instinct and by very intimidating to something they deem unnatural.

Honestly, especially if you are interested in Bernese Mountain Dogs, I would look into Newfoundlands. They are large, dark, intimidating looking dogs. They LOVE their people and are typically very friendly dogs. Since they are so large, training is an absolute must to make sure they don't get out of control, but I wouldn't call them a breed that needs an experienced dog owner.

Newfoundland, Bernese Mountain Dog, Leonberger (maybe? Don't know much about them), Great Dane, Mastiff, Bullmastiff...you just have to remember that a larger a dog is, the more important basic training is. A 10 pound dog pulling on a leash or jumping up on people isn't that big of a deal, but a 150 pound dog pulling on the leash or jumping is dangerous.

Also, I wouldn't discount adopting an adult dog from a shelter. Then you will have an exact idea of what the dog's temperament is like, you don't have to worry about everything you have to worry about with a puppy, and you'll know if the dog will be a good fit for you or not.

If you don't have any dog-experience, it would be a very good idea with any breed you get to attend training classes in order to help you start off on the right foot. If you are willing to do that and read up on how to raise/train/socialize a dog, then you should be a step ahead of most people that get a dog and have no idea what they are doing.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Not a Border Collie

I think I'd be inclined to look for a rescue, in this instance! I would think any black medium to large dog would do as far as looking intimidating, and in the case of getting an adult rescue you have a little more insight into their temperament and personality so you can pick one that is more "beginner friendly" and suitable for your lifestyle. Not to mention that big black dogs have a lower adoption rate, so you'd probably be helping out a life big time (:

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Sit! Good dog.

What exercise level can you offer? Are you home a lot? Do you have kids or plan to have kids? Do you live in a city or countryside? Do you plan on learning to train or joining a club?

How can we tell you what fits your lifestyle if you haven't described what that lifestyle is?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein