Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Who has a house cleaner?

It's kind of embarrassing and makes me feel lazy but I'm seriously thinking of hiring someone to come out once or twice a month to clean my house. It's almost all I can do to keep the laundry done and put away, the fish tanks cleaned, and the dogs taken care of. I HATE cleaning with a passion. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to have someone come in.

What do you guys pay? How do you find someone that is responsible and all that stuff?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I made a thread about this a while back. I still really want to get a housekeeper, but I'm a little weird about having a stranger come into our house. I'd feel the need to be home while he/she cleans, and then I'd feel weird not helping! Haha. It would definitely be worth the cost to me, since I don't like to clean.

I started looking on care.com, and there are a TON of listings. Some of them have background checks done and everything. Do you have any family members or friends who have house keepers for word of mouth references?

ETA: Here's my old thread if it helps

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129960

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I made a thread about this a while back. I still really want to get a housekeeper, but I'm a little weird about having a stranger come into our house. I'd feel the need to be home while he/she cleans, and then I'd feel weird not helping! Haha. It would definitely be worth the cost to me, since I don't like to clean.

I started looking on care.com, and there are a TON of listings. Some of them have background checks done and everything. Do you have any family members or friends who have house keepers for word of mouth references?
Lol, this is always how I feel.

I still live at home, but whenever we have cleaning people come in, I feel like a freakin' BUM when I'm, like, sitting on the couch watching them clean. lol. I feel like I should be helping... but my parents paid them for a reason.

They only get them out around once a month. I am not entirely sure what they pay. But my dads house has these two American girls who just started their own company, I think. And my mom used to use a company that was a franchise.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Thanks! Yeah my dad has a housekeeper that comes weekly. I'm not sure if she's got openings or not or how much she charges. I would think mine would be cheaper since my house is less than 1/3rd the size of his. He found her through his neighbor's. My coworker has one she loves but it's across town.

I HATE cleaning!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Thanks! Yeah my dad has a housekeeper that comes weekly. I'm not sure if she's got openings or not or how much she charges. I would think mine would be cheaper since my house is less than 1/3rd the size of his. He found her through his neighbor's. My coworker has one she loves but it's across town.

I HATE cleaning!
I hate cleaning SO much, but I love having a clean house- so it's a constant battle. It would be really nice to get someone to come once a week or once every other week to get the big chores that I'd rather not do. I just have to get over my fears of having someone do it, because it would be very much worth it to me!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

I was interested briefly in the deep cleanings (like scrubbing floor boards and cleaning fridge shelves and such). The vacuuming/dusting/straightening I can do myself, and generally enjoy, but it would have been nice to have a true cleaning done once in a while. Unfortunately, even just for vacuuming/mopping/etc, the average price is around $150 for every/other week. I'm not comfortable paying $300/month for it.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

My parents hired someone a few months ago because of my their lack of time to really get to cleaning the house. (They both work full time & my mom is going to night school).

We found her through neighbours I think we pay 10 (about $13) an hour. She comes once a week - for about 4 hours.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Chihuahua Power!

From what I've researched, I had expected to pay $10-15 an hour for someone. I was guessing $50-60 a week for 4-6 hours of work.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM
orange iguanas.

Yeah. Her name is Mom.

Lol but seriously my mom is super obsessed with cleaning, so there's no way she'd ever let something sit for someone else to do. I hate cleaning very much but I can't see myself ever wanting to pay for someone else to do it.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Are you dead yet?

My parents have a housekeeper who comes once a week and changes the sheets, mops the floors, cleans the stone courtyards and dusts everything indoors. They LOVE her, she's very respectful of their things and they haven't had an issue in 3+ years.