Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Blue_Dog

Southpaw: Craigslist/kijiji adoptions? I've seen lots in shelters too. Same with hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits and certainly rats.

If you want a more specific animal than you're better off looking for a breeder and may have to be willing to go the extra distance and pay the extra price for them.

Individual pet stores are a whole other story from mills.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

I should add that IME most pet stores here aren't as bad as many in the US. I've been to Petcos (US) were all of the rats and small animals had horrible labored breathing, it was really sad. I've never seen that here though Pet Habitat's gerbil definitely need some sand.

When I got my gerbils at Petsmart (Vancouver) the guy took me around the store, told me what to buy (I knew what to buy but he did it anyways). He said they feed primarily lab blocks, a little seed mix in the bottom, and fresh veggies that wouldn't cause gas (the gerbils in their store had a little fresh grated carrot). I also had to sign a care contract, and there was some sort of guarantee that I thought was pretty good.

All of their animals looked healthy, I saw the back of the store to pick one out and the ones in back were clean and healthy too. They had a skinny pig in back that they were medicating and the employee and it had definitely bonded lol (piggie was excited to see him).

I also remember my mom being pissed like 15 years ago because the pet store wouldn't sell her a turtle to keep in a turtle bowl.

So they do show some discrimination here. And pet stores here take pets back and rehome them (dunno how it is elsewhere).
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I should add that IME most pet stores here aren't as bad as many in the US. I've been to Petcos (US) were all of the rats and small animals had horrible labored breathing, it was really sad. I've never seen that here though Pet Habitat's gerbil definitely need some sand.

When I got my gerbils at Petsmart (Vancouver) the guy took me around the store, told me what to buy (I knew what to buy but he did it anyways). He said they feed primarily lab blocks, a little seed mix in the bottom, and fresh veggies that wouldn't cause gas (the gerbils in their store had a little fresh grated carrot). I also had to sign a care contract, and there was some sort of guarantee that I thought was pretty good.

All of their animals looked healthy, I saw the back of the store to pick one out and the ones in back were clean and healthy too. They had a skinny pig in back that they were medicating and the employee and it had definitely bonded lol (piggie was excited to see him).

I also remember my mom being pissed like 15 years ago because the pet store wouldn't sell her a turtle to keep in a turtle bowl.

So they do show some discrimination here. And pet stores here take pets back and rehome them (dunno how it is elsewhere).
yah, the definitely don't to that here (Ottawa). When I got Allie's guinea pigs, and Matt's hamster... yah, there was something they signed that had their name and telephone number, but other than that, we were on our own for getting supplies etc.

When I was a kid, I got a hamster from the pet store. I really wanted this certain one... they talked me into this "fat male" instead. Yah, 2 days later it had babies.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
When I was a kid, I got a hamster from the pet store. I really wanted this certain one... they talked me into this "fat male" instead. Yah, 2 days later it had babies.
super, thanks guys.

that Petsmart only stocks female animals so there is no chance of a whoopsie.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Dog View Post
Southpaw: Craigslist/kijiji adoptions? I've seen lots in shelters too. Same with hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits and certainly rats.

If you want a more specific animal than you're better off looking for a breeder and may have to be willing to go the extra distance and pay the extra price for them.

Individual pet stores are a whole other story from mills.
Except whenever I see ads on Craiglist, it's always "my XYZ species had babies! Please adopt!" and it's like, I don't want to give money to those people any more than I want to give money to the pet store. Granted, I only look at the CL ads once in a blue moon when I get bored, so I definitely don't see them all.

Guinea pigs and rabbits I see in shelters more frequently but it seems you have to wait a while for the rodents. And then there's the issue of, maybe the one hamster sitting in the shelter doesn't fit what you're looking for. I mean, I guess if I were looking for a hamster, I don't have strict requirements for what I need lol but one that isn't old and one that doesn't bite, would be nice.

I guess really my main point is that hamsters/mice/rats/gerbils/whatnot are not as readily accessible outside of pet stores; not as easy to get from a different source like dogs and cats. So I don't fault people or get upset at them for going to pet stores, even though I totally get that they are the results of mills as well.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I've never seen that here though Pet Habitat's gerbil definitely need some sand.
I avoided the Pet Habitat in NV because of the absolute awful condition of the animals when I went in to check the place out. It was hands down the worst pet store I had ever seen in Canada (there was one worse one, and it wasn't in North America lol). The condition of the bird's water bowls was so bad that they must not have cleaned them in 3 days. There was half a centimetre of water and it was BROWN and more like mud (very thick with crap). I went to the front of the store and let them know that the birds had no water very politely (but making the point that they needed some badly) and they thanked me half heartedly and NEVER WENT TO CHANGE IT. I suspected they wouldn't because all 3 of them employees were sitting at the front desk chatting and laughing away but I sat on a bench outside the store and for the 20 minutes I sat there, they did nothing They had 4 cockatiels in a 20 gallon fish tank with no perches or anything, and the kittens all had super runny eyes and looked very lethargic with a big wormy belly.

The visit to that store upset me so much that I never went back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

They're also major puppy peddlers (or the one here was before puppy selling was banned--apparently they still sell them illegal though). Someone from HS got a GSD pup from them and it had to be PTS at 18 months due to severe HD. It's also the only pet store I've been to where someone tried to push a live animal on me ("glass catfish, really cool, impress your friends, try some today" multiple times). Not a very classy place at all...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:29 AM
*Now with Snark*

Petco uses buncher style dealers for most of their animals. Their dealer for ferrets was Real Canadian Ferrets and their dealer for rodents was a local buncher who supplied guinea pigs and chinchillas purchased from local breeders and bred their own mice and rats. The mice and rats were more feeder style for snakes than pets. The regional manager had made a decision to not have rabbits in his stores so I never dealt with that nonsense.

Respiratory issues were frequent but that isn't uncommon for animals kept the way these guys were kept - overcrowded and under plastic or glass. I wasn't very happy about it and my manager wasn't very happy with me for bringing up that we were accepting animals that appeared ill, wheezy, and malnourished. He was happy to remind me that I wasn't a veterinarian.

I also got a look at the aquarium industry, bird sales, and reptile sales and didn't like what I saw. Bottom line is when you're dealing with bunchers and mass sales that animal health is a number where losses are expected and if the cost of treating an animal is 3x what the animal will fetch in profits then it's no debate what needs to happen.

I can't say I miss the job.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My opinion, and my opinion only. (Also, bear in mind I haven't read the entire thread.)

If at all possible, it is always best to go with a breeder whose focus for their animals is to improve their health and breed for well balanced temperaments, as well as the fact that they've typically handled their animals so they are tame.

Rescuing either from a shelter, rescue, or private rehome is never a bad thing. That's how I've obtained a lot of my personal animals.

But I have no issues whatsoever if someone wants to purchase a pocket pet from a pet store IF that pet store provides the proper environment for those animals and the animals aren't ill/sick/genetically doomed from the start. I am very happy with all of our local pet stores (two small feed type stores, one Petsmart). I don't think we have a single store in our area that sells puppies/kittens due to the ones that were in operation being driven under. The three stores we have that sell pocket pets all take fantastic care them of. Good sized, stimulating enclosures, very clean, proper diet, and the animals look healthy and well cared for. Although the gerbil we purchased from Petsmart was evil, I purchased Pikachu (my old dwarf hamster) from Petsmart and Cid was a Petsmart purchase as well (although I got him from a private rehome) and they were healthy and very well mannered from day one and they all passed away from old age. Choco and Bees are also from Petsmart and they're doing just great, as well as being very well mannered. When my breeder bought mice were their age, one had already passed away and the other was starting to be full of tumors (and I couldn't handle either one of the mice).

Casey and Dameon were both pet store purchases. Casey lived to five years old and passed away due to cancer, Dameon is currently six and has cancer. Rinnie and Ruben were rescues (originally pet store purchases) and Ruben passed away at four due to a tumor on his spine, while Rinnie, who is now roughly four, likely has cancer. All have equally good temperaments, although Dameon and Casey were much more reliable with the litterbox because I had them as kits and trained them properly (and the pet store I adopted them from started them on litterboxes).
I have no problem purchasing a Marshall Farm ferret. I do have a problem supporting pet stores that don't care for their animals. And in the case of ferrets, there are typically a TON in rescue due to the fact that people impulse buy them as kits and then don't realize how high maintenance they are, and I think you are better off adopting a private rehome or from a rescue than spending $200 for a kit at a petstore.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

No, I'm not okay with small animals being sold at most pet stores (Petco, Petsmart, etc) - especially more high maintenance animals like rabbits, ferrets, and birds. Way too many people get them on an impulse, and have no clue how to properly care for them.

I don't see any fish, birds, or small animals in my future, but if I wanted one, I'd definitely try to go with a rescue/rehome, or a good breeder.

That being said, there is a small, independantly owned pet store here that I just love - they breed all their own reptiles and small animals, are honest and realistic about what kind of care their animals will need, and don't let just anyone walk out with their pets. Plus, you can return an animal you purchased from them at any time if you can no longer care for it.