Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

I've had pet store rats and breeder rats and shelter rats--the shelter rats were neutered males and were the best (dunno from where the originated but they were awesome).
Then I would rank the breeder rats, then the pet store rats.

If I were getting more rats I would get them from a breeder for sure (unless I fell in love with one at a pet store).

I bought my gerbils at a pet store and would do so again, but would prefer a hobbyist.

I probably wouldn't be too picky about where I got my mice, but would prefer from a hobbyist.

I'd be looking at rehomes if I wanted a medium-large parrot. For a budgie I would go to a breeder. For finches, I wouldn't care where I got them (but would probably go to a breeder).

For most reptiles I would probably look for animals from a hobbyist, possibly rehomes. I might buy something like an anole at a pet store though.

If I were getting a ferret I would either take a rehome or, preferably, I would get it from Europe (I believe I looked into it once and it was pretty easy).

Rabbits from breeders.

I think getting animals from a hobbyist is almost always worth it.
  • Seeing how they're raised
  • Future support/asking questions
  • Financially supporting someone who is knowledgable and breeding nice robust animals
  • More assurance that the animal is healthy, knowing what to watch out for, etc.

All good things that come from getting hobbyist animals.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I think its all the same, they all come from crappy conditions but honestly for most of those species, options are limited. Where else are you going to get mice? I don't think reputable mouse breeders are common and shelters sure aren't filled with them.
Our HS always has tons of mice, rats and hamsters/gerbils. Like, really? You couldn't even give that hamster that one year it would live??

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I've had pet store rats and breeder rats and shelter rats--the shelter rats were neutered males and were the best (dunno from where the originated but they were awesome).
Then I would rank the breeder rats, then the pet store rats.

If I were getting more rats I would get them from a breeder for sure (unless I fell in love with one at a pet store).

I bought my gerbils at a pet store and would do so again, but would prefer a hobbyist.

I probably wouldn't be too picky about where I got my mice, but would prefer from a hobbyist.

I'd be looking at rehomes if I wanted a medium-large parrot. For a budgie I would go to a breeder. For finches, I wouldn't care where I got them (but would probably go to a breeder).

For most reptiles I would probably look for animals from a hobbyist, possibly rehomes. I might buy something like an anole at a pet store though.

If I were getting a ferret I would either take a rehome or, preferably, I would get it from Europe (I believe I looked into it once and it was pretty easy).

Rabbits from breeders.

I think getting animals from a hobbyist is almost always worth it.
  • Seeing how they're raised
  • Future support/asking questions
  • Financially supporting someone who is knowledgable and breeding nice robust animals
  • More assurance that the animal is healthy, knowing what to watch out for, etc.

All good things that come from getting hobbyist animals.
Most ferret breeders I would buy from in Europe, won't ship. Unless you're flying down to get the ferret, it's just not safe for it in cargo. Most that do ship, you wouldn't want to touch their ferrets -- they're just mean.

'tis why I'm hoping to have Fran fly back with a ferret for me in a few years

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Most ferret breeders I would buy from in Europe, won't ship. Unless you're flying down to get the ferret, it's just not safe for it in cargo. Most that do ship, you wouldn't want to touch their ferrets -- they're just mean.

'tis why I'm hoping to have Fran fly back with a ferret for me in a few years
No I would go there myself and pick it out for sure Are there airlines that allow you to have them under the seat (because that would be super, and they're one of the few critters that actually would fit under the seat)? The pet policies on international flights I remember are dog/cat.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Where else are you going to get mice? I don't think reputable mouse breeders are common and shelters sure aren't filled with them.
"Reputable" mouse breeders are more common than you might think, you just may have to ship depending on the variety you're looking for (I'm partial to satins myself).

http://www.fancymicebreeders.com/
http://www.miceandrats.com/
http://www.afrma.org/
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
"Reputable" mouse breeders are more common than you might think, you just may have to ship depending on the variety you're looking for (I'm partial to satins myself).

http://www.fancymicebreeders.com/
http://www.miceandrats.com/
http://www.afrma.org/
Good to know. I'm a "rat person" and know that breeders for them are hard to find, or it seems like no one really sticks with it... none of the "big name" breeders that I used to hear about a couple years ago are around anymore. I think there's like 1 breeder in MN but I don't know how good they are.

Personally I'd have a hard time justifying shipping, too - it's very unlikely I would even want to ship a dog, I can't see myself doing it for a pocket pet. I'd probably just go the Craigslist rehome route. My last 2 rats I got from my school (who originally got them from a pet store) and that worked out well.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

It bothers me.
aside from the health aspects, it's the whole IDEA of selling animals to people on impulse that makes my mad
and that's what pet stores are all about!

They don't give people the right info, they don't screen people, the employees have NO IDEA how to care for them or what to tell people and they cater to people who just walk in, see something cute and decide "I want to buy that pet today!" which IMO is wrong.
Pets should be thought out and planned for additions. Not something that you pick up at the pet store just because and aren't prepared for.

Especially when it comes to parrots, it makes me sick :/ probably because we have one but they are way too intelligent of creatures to just be stuck in tiny cages with people who have NO IDEA how to care for them and how much human interaction they need.

Puppies, kittens, hamsters, birds.. I don't think anyone should be able to walk into any place, throw down a credit card and leave with a pet no questions asked. regardless of where that animal came from.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Lord Cynical

Snakes, no. Especially not when you're dealing with species not native to this country, as most of those are wild-caught. Captive bred snakes are generally healthier and more adaptable to habitat conditions and feeding. Not to mention less parasites!

I do feel bad for snakes at most pet stores. Improper husbandry seems to be the norm... and that's a sad sight to see.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
No I would go there myself and pick it out for sure Are there airlines that allow you to have them under the seat (because that would be super, and they're one of the few critters that actually would fit under the seat)? The pet policies on international flights I remember are dog/cat.
Somebody who used to be a member with the rescue moved her ferrets to Canada from the UK, and she just carried them on with her. I believe you may have to specifically ask about them, though.

They're stupid easy to get through, as long as they look healthy, they're good to go.

*disclaimer*: I've never actually brought a ferret on a plane, let alone to another country, but this is what I understand from people who have done it and from breeders in the UK

Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Somebody who used to be a member with the rescue moved her ferrets to Canada from the UK, and she just carried them on with her. I believe you may have to specifically ask about them, though.

They're stupid easy to get through, as long as they look healthy, they're good to go.

*disclaimer*: I've never actually brought a ferret on a plane, let alone to another country, but this is what I understand from people who have done it and from breeders in the UK
Yeah I think when I checked I used that horrid long thing on the Canada Border Services Website and my impression was it was ridiculously easy as well.