Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

We have a lesser cockatoo named Napoleon and he is a small funny little spawn of satan.
Some guy sold him to us on the side of the road because he didn't have any change.

He has a cage but we never close it, he goes in there to go to the bathroom but other than that he simply walks around the house much like a dog would.

He is an enormous responsibility. He requires a lot of attention and is basically more like having a toddler than having a pet in many ways

He speaks quite a bit, but nowhere near as clearly as an african grey would (his voice is high pitched and squeaky).
He is friendly with everyone but can be sassy (like if he doesn't like what you hand him he throws it at you lol)

As much as I love him, I doubt I would ever own a parrot again.
They are fascinating but frankly, the more I'm around him.. the more I'm amazed how smart and sensitive and social he is, and the more I just..I dunno and please don't let anyone be insulted by this.. I just, I don't feel right having a large parrot in a cage in my home as a pet.
I look at him sometimes and really wish that I could find a way to reverse time and let him be born wild somewhere and fly free with a bunch of other cockatoos

I never felt that way about my parakeets or other pets...but he's just so different.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Fran I agree with you, I never felt that way about Kenny, or Lola... And they are "Large" parrots... But Dixie, and Snowbee (The U2 I babysat) always made me feel like they loved us, but were meant to be free... They just seemed, I don't know, like they were missing something...
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Top Dog

NEVER AGAIN!
We currently have 1 sun conure. We've also had two Budgies, they were MESSY, cute, but MESSY!!! The conure, Bellissimo, is aggressive, loud, messy, "inappropriate" (why we give him boxes to "play" inside), and... just mean. He rules the house when he's let out on weekdays, he's not allowed out when my father is here because he attacks him.

I'm sure to bird lovers we are "just doing something wrong", I don't care, we wont be getting another exotic again. Because I'm sure you will all now attack me for "being a spoil sport" in your nice thread, I'll offer some pretty pictures, he sure is beautiful at least, and funny.

Beautiful Bellissimo by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Bellissimo by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

And an old video of him "protecting his box", for whatever reason he HATES the little camera, doesn't mind the DSLR, just HATES this one:
http://youtu.be/waeoLNl2wkw
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

I am currently owned by a female Senegal Cleo. Who I believe is ahhh 14ish years old. I would own another one again. She is technically my 2nd, I had a male first and had gotten her Preferably one that is a little more hands on. She is what is considered a breeder fail. She wouldn't breed to any males beat the hell out of them basically wanted nothing to do with them. BUT she isn't supper cuddly like a hand fed baby would have been. I can handle her with out being bit, but she does prefer to not be held. I will open her cage up and once in a great while she will climb out and sit on my shoulder. But it is always her choice.
I will say she is a mouthy thing. She says some things you wouldn't want your grandmother to hear. She definatly has an opinion about everything and usually voices it. But I still love her.
She was umm feeling "frisky" in that picture. It was shortly after my other senegal had died.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM
*Now with Snark*

I cant say if I will have caged birds again. I know you couldn't pay me to own a Quaker or parrotlet. I also don't know if I have the heart to own a large parrot that moay outlive me even if I live100 years.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Twin 2

I've got a Sun Conure named Calypso and I adore him but I don't think I'll ever have a parrot again. He's an absolute clown, huge jerk with a big attitude and a sweetheart if he likes you. He's also pretty well adjusted I think for a parrot. Outgoing, likes most people including strangers and takes most changes in stride, well, we do get a day or two of disgusted glaring sometimes.

But he's just too much work to be perfectly blunt. He's out a lot but that's pretty much irrelevant, he needs so much more attention and mental stimulation and physical work that I just can't find it in a day to do when I have the dogs too.

That's not to say he doesn't get attention, he gets a ton of it but I've just grown to really dislike the idea of caged birds in pet homes. For those that dedicate their lives to them I think it's wonderful, but I just don't feel like I'm fair to him.

But on a happy note, pictures!!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

My brother taught Napoleon to say "YOLO!"
..and it's scary how he says it at the most appropriate times lol

He jumped off the side of his cage, which he knows he's NOT supposed to do (he is supposed to climb down and use the ladder) and RIGHT BEFORE JUMPING I hear him go "YOLO!"

I can't stop laughing!! LOL
Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

such beautiful birds

I miss mine I had an orange winged amazon named Barney,,and two tiels, all hand tamed, allowed to roam around, they were fine with the dogs/cats and vice versa..They all passed at varying times.

So now to fill my bird void, I'm getting some baby chickens next month