Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
and Spy.

Default Parrot People

What have you owned, what do you own, and what do you plan or hope to own someday?

I'll start.

I have had two lovebirds, one passed away from a tumour in October, and the other is still with me. The one that passed away was a male, SUPER friendly, hand-fed, etc... The one I currently have is female, not very friendly, and a rehome/rescue who I don't believe was hand-fed. Either that, or they did a super crappy job of it.

Photo: Hand-fed friendly male on left (Skittles), female on right (Peachy... Hate that name but never changed it )

I love lovies, but I want something a bit bigger for my next bird. I plan to get a Crimson Bellied Conure, hopefully not too far in the distant future. I have been drooling over them for about a year and a half when I stumbled across photos of them online, and they sound like exactly what I am looking for. Here is a photo:

http://philregalo.com/ProductImages/...nconurebig.jpg

I may end up thinking about a second bird (once the current lovie is gone and I have the CBC), but am unsure at this point and will wait for the conure to mature. I am not attracted to the idea of having a ton of pets at once, but am still open to the idea of having another. Not sure on species but will do a boatload of research and think it through very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

I've had a cockatiel, cockatoo, and two Quakers. My family was a bird family.

I will never have a bird ever again. The squawking(or screaming in some cases)....oi vey.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I've had a cockatiel, cockatoo, and two Quakers. My family was a bird family.

I will never have a bird ever again. The squawking(or screaming in some cases)....oi vey.
After a cockatoo... Don't blame you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
such sights to show you

I have a Senegal parrot named Magic who is... 23 years old now. Have had her since she was a wee baby. (Probably a her based on coloring, but have never bothered to sex her.) All of the dogs and cats who have ever lived here are terrified of her, she's basically a miniature T-Rex.

When she is gone someday I don't plan to have any more birds.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

This.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnLPDcLGHs

For hours. And hours. And hours.

The dogs went into hiding. The people were emotional wrecks. The cops were called.
It was a female, and she got attached to my mom's husband. When he wasn't in sight, she did this. Oh, and he worked night shift, and slept during the day. It was a nightmare.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Currently we have Lola, a Spanish speaking Double Yellow Headed Amazon, she is a sweet bird who adores all of us but LOVES my son... She belonged to an older lady who passed on, she has started speaking English but still says a ton in Spanish that I have no clue what it means!! She also sings "Oh Canada" in a shaky old lady voice, it's adorable!

I had an African Grey I adored... Total complete love affair.... Sadly we lost him at only 6 years old, the avian vet tentatively determined he had a heart attack

I also prematurely lost an Citron Crested Cockatoo, she was fine one day, sickly the next... They were not able to save her and her breathing was labored, though we can't prove it we firmly believe we lost her due to damage to her lungs from the house fire :-( my Avian vet saw her shortly after the fire and was worried about that, she also plucked and self mutilated after the fire, which she had never done previously, she did stop after a few months but was never quite the same..

We have had a few birds we took in and re-homed when friends or acquaintances were not able to keep them, one of the most interesting was a rainbow lory, he was a complete clown!

Last edited by LauraLeigh; 05-08-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Pictures:

These are all I could find fast, the one of Dixie is when she was very young:

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
This.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnLPDcLGHs

For hours. And hours. And hours.

The dogs went into hiding. The people were emotional wrecks. The cops were called.
It was a female, and she got attached to my mom's husband. When he wasn't in sight, she did this. Oh, and he worked night shift, and slept during the day. It was a nightmare.
I baby sat an Umbrella for 2 weeks, EVIL bird!!! They are truly not always the best pet and seem to do the worst in captivity of all the parrots except possibly the Moluccan... Dixie was loud at times, and typically 'Too clingy but Snowbee the Umbrella.. Well it cured me ever wanting one!! Honestly I'll likely never own a 'Too again period, even Dixie who never, ever bit was way more work than Kenny or Lola... I'd like to own another Grey, but my heart is not over Kenny..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

I have two cockatiels, a Caique parrot, and a Starling. All are very good birds, I love them to death. I am actually taking a 'developmentally challenged' Canary Winged BeeBee Parakeet, he is still being hand fed, but he is all mine .

I'm not sure about future birds..I really like Indian Ringnecks...maybe one day. I'm not a 'big' bird person, I just don't have the cajones to handle big macaws and amazons. And cockatoos are absolutely not, I'm really on the fence about if they should be pets at all.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

My Mom has a Indian Ringneck we re-homed to her, her name is Chevy, she's a total brat, but has tons of personality and they love her!

I fully agree on the Cockatoo issue as well...

In her Temporary Cage, before we made the treck all the way to NS to deliver her:

A close up: