Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM
orange iguanas.

I second the Mixed Chicks recommendation. That, or DevaCurl - I've used both, and on my hair both brands yield the exact same results, but I use DevaCurl now because I get it discounted.
They're both "supposed" to be used as a 3-step product. Shampoo, condition, and then Mixed Chicks has the leave-in conditioner as their final step, whereas DevaCurl has a gel (but it doesn't dry crunchy like typical gels). But IMO the leave-in conditioner/gel is really the only product you need, I don't notice any difference with their shampoos and conditioners. A little goes a long way too, I've been using DevaCurl since March 2011 and I've only had to repurchase it once.

Otherwise my hair is pretty similar to yours... sometimes it would dry and look nice, but 99% of the time I only looked presentable if it was straightened or in a ponytail.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Taxiderpy

Blackrose, our hair is identical! lol.

I had the same detox issue when switching to crap free shampoos. My current hair regimen is to wash it every day using some baking soda dissolved in warm water, rinse it out, then do a final rinse with a splash of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. When I have time, I'll make a gallon or so of rosemary tea and use that to mix with the vinegar for the rinse. The rosemary must make a big difference, because when I use it people are always like, "whoa your hair looks beautiful!" and when I don't they don't say anything. lol.

Once or twice a week I'll wash with real soap, but not regular shampoo. Usually it's Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap 50/50 in water, with a teaspoon of grapeseed oil and another tiny splash of apple cider vinegar. I wash the dogs with the same mixture and it gets them really clean, the vinegar makes it really easy to rinse the suds out. The peppermint oil also feels awesome, like icy hot on your scalp.

About a month after switching I stopped having random frizz.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'll look into getting some of that Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner.

I don't have a problem with it tangling - I'm sure if I slept on it all of the time without every brushing it I would, but typically going a day doesn't make it horrible. lol

Quote:
I use Biolage (sp?) shampoo for color treated hair and I love it, it smells like vacation and makes my hair feel clean.
I think I've tried their conditioner before (got a free sample or something) and I really liked it. Can't remember if I liked the shampoo, though, once we had it...hmm...but I do know I liked using the conditioner in conjunction with whatever shampoo I had at the time.

But, even thought I know shampoo probably makes a HUGE difference, I may just stick with Herbal Essence since I don't have anything bad to say about it. I can spend $5 on a 24oz product versus $16 for a 16oz product...and cheap is really what I need right now, unfortunately.

Also, coming from someone who never ever blow dries her hair...what is a diffuser? Sounds like it would be beneficial for when I do blow dry, but I've never even heard of it before. LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

I third the Mixed Chicks products. They are pricey though, but a little bit of the leave-in conditioner goes a LONG way. I love love love it and I hardly ever worry what crazy poof my hair will turn in to since using the product.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Blackrose, our hair is identical! lol.

I had the same detox issue when switching to crap free shampoos. My current hair regimen is to wash it every day using some baking soda dissolved in warm water, rinse it out, then do a final rinse with a splash of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. When I have time, I'll make a gallon or so of rosemary tea and use that to mix with the vinegar for the rinse. The rosemary must make a big difference, because when I use it people are always like, "whoa your hair looks beautiful!" and when I don't they don't say anything. lol.

Once or twice a week I'll wash with real soap, but not regular shampoo. Usually it's Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap 50/50 in water, with a teaspoon of grapeseed oil and another tiny splash of apple cider vinegar. I wash the dogs with the same mixture and it gets them really clean, the vinegar makes it really easy to rinse the suds out. The peppermint oil also feels awesome, like icy hot on your scalp.

About a month after switching I stopped having random frizz.
I think I'm going to give that a try, Romy. I've a huge bush of rosemary out here, too.

How long do you brew the rosemary?

After discovering argan oil I don't EVER see going back to products! Once in awhile I use a little curl enhancer, but I've even quit needing to use an root lift since I got the crap out of my hair. Most of the time if I want to do a curl enhance though, I just use amla.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian