Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Sounds like a typical country farm dog to me. I don't at all think he's neglected and certainly not abused. It may not be what we'd choose for our dogs and I'm not saying it isn't risky but different people see different things as risky.
^ This is my sentiment as well.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
LABRADERP!

Sounds like all the dogs around where I live, hell Beau when he was much younger between 6months - 2 years old lived like this (Where I lived there were no leash laws). He was free to hunt and do Beagle things! He had lots of friends and loved every minute of it. When we moved and had to keep him from roaming...it's like a piece of himself went away.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Sounds like a typical country farm dog to me. I don't at all think he's neglected and certainly not abused. It may not be what we'd choose for our dogs and I'm not saying it isn't risky but different people see different things as risky.
This. It's not that I'D choose, or how I'd raise a dog, but I wouldn't call it abuse. I think it's neglect to a point, but just another way of raising dogs I guess.

My step-dad and moms cockapoo basically lived like this. We have 3 acres and behind us is 90 acres of farmland. She NEVER wanted to come inside so we'd often leave her outside. *I* never liked it, I'd try my hardest to get her in, but she'd go run under the deck and it was impossible to get her. However, she got ran over when she was almost 5 years old. She chased cars... it was inevitable, I was devastated but I almost knew it was going to happen one day. So... to me, that's the risk you take when owning a dog and raising it like that. However she was a happy dog, loved all of us, slept in my moms bed every night, loved playing with Jackson, was brought to the vet at least yearly. I would've chosen different for her, but at that point, she was already so set on her ways.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Just try me..

I would say its benign neglect and a great life... till something goes wrong. I like the idea of a note on the collar.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It is a bit reckless, but I don't think I'd label it as abuse. Honestly I'm torn about whether to truly call it neglect. It's one of those... completely different cultural norms of dog ownership than I belong to, I can see both faults and positives in it.
Quote:
^^ Agreed. I definitely wouldn't call it cruel at all.