Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Mutts to you

Default Well, that's over with...

My annual almost-step-on-a-snake-and-have-a-heart-attack incident. Was walking back down the driveway after putting the horses out in pasture and nearly stepped on a black rat snake. Wasn't very big, only about 3 ft. but I still managed to leap and shriek like a girl (oh, wait, make that a middle-aged lady who just added another gray hair). Anyway, I went one way and he went the other so it's all good. Except I didn't have my camera to take pics of him... boo!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

LOL.

Two weeks ago, while scooping poop in the very back of my pasture, a baby Water Moccasin (aka Cottonmouth) took off right from underneath my shovel. I had a Psycho moment and repeatedly jabbed the ground (unfortunately covered in leaves so I couldn't see anything) with the shovel...over and over and over and over and over again.

I know we have snake lovers on this forum, but I have no shame about killing anything venomous around my home. I actually caught a LOT of flak on another forum, but if it's their kids and animals, so be it. But I'm not going to have my boys playing with Copperheads and Water Moccasins (which, btw, are two very agressive snakes...they don't usually try to flee).
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm a huge snake lover and I have no qualms over killing a venomous snake if you feel it is potentially putting you, your children or your animals in danger. We have a ton of copperheads on the trails where I take the dogs hiking and they will just slither right across the path so you have to keep an eye out for them. We also have the water moccasins around here as well as your non venomous rats and corns etc.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Mutts to you

Yeah, Missouri just has 3 poisonous snakes - copperhead, cottonmouth and timber rattler. I've seen cottonmouths and copperheads but, knock on wood, haven't seen a rattler on our property. Our original group of barn cats used to tell us if there was a snake in the vicinity - if we saw 3 or more cats sitting in a circle, we knew there was a snake in the middle. A couple of times, they were venomous and we did kill them.

I'm not a fan of snakes, they give me the heebie-jeebies but I know the non-venomous ones are beneficial, it's just the OMG! Snake! reaction when we surprise each other.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

I adore snakes, but kids do come first. In our area, the only poisonous snakes are rattlesnakes, and they're not nearly as dangerous.

It upset me when our neighbors beheaded a six inch gopher snake because it was on their property, but I just told them that if they found another gopher snake, let me know, and I'd remove it. About two months later, they came over and had my sister (who was 9 or so) take the second one they found. We put it down one of our gopher holes.

I like 'bugs', but black widows on our property get smashed. Their egg sack things get smashed. If it were just me and Donny, we'd probably only kill the indoor/garage ones, but with the dogs, they're not welcome here, no matter how interesting they are.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Felurian

I'm with you totally, Mia.

The black snakes I love. They help keep the venomous ones out. Now, if I could just convince my idiot parents to QUIT KILLING BLACKSNAKES!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Taxiderpy

You guys have blacksnakes and water moccasins and copperheads?!?! *is jealous*.

We just have garter snakes and rubber boas, but I have NEVER seen a wild rubber boa ever.

I shouldn't say "just" garters though, because ours rock. I caught this one in the road near the courthouse a few years ago:

We did have pacific rattlers in eastern wa. I really liked them. My aunt used to pay us to catch bullsnakes to put under the chicken barn. She sacrificed a few eggs to feed them once in a while, but they kept the rattlers out of the hay and away from the birds so it was a good trade.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Felurian

And racers and green snakes and various and sundries, lol. The blue racers are gorgeous but you don't get to look at them for very long Technically we aren't supposed to have them here, but we do.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
You guys have blacksnakes and water moccasins and copperheads?!?! *is jealous*.

We just have garter snakes and rubber boas, but I have NEVER seen a wild rubber boa ever.

I shouldn't say "just" garters though, because ours rock. I caught this one in the road near the courthouse a few years ago:

We did have pacific rattlers in eastern wa. I really liked them. My aunt used to pay us to catch bullsnakes to put under the chicken barn. She sacrificed a few eggs to feed them once in a while, but they kept the rattlers out of the hay and away from the birds so it was a good trade.
WOW, that is a gorgeous garter! Ours are normal-looking, and we see a ton of them.

We too have water moccasins, in fact we almost stepped on one in the creek last year. Thank goodness I watch where I step!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Lord Cynical

See? Boring.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)