Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Default Excuse me? Apparently I'm very selfish and don't love dogs.

Tonight my neighbor came over to ask me to take care of her dogs while she went to the lake. (No problem there, I adore her dogs.)
Then she asked to meet Fable. She asked me where I got her and of course I rambled on and on about my little girl and finding her. I mentioned how I had always wanted a GSD and was over the hills happy to find one in a shelter.

THEN she started ranting uncontrollably, telling me how selfish it was to choose a dog at the shelter for being purebred and that's why there are too many mutts dying and that I was just another one of the purebred lovers, not a dog lover. Oh, and how she did a good thing by getting her mix at a pet store because people like me are too selfish to want to pay over a certain amount of money for a mutt and the poor thing would have sat there forever.

First of all, WTH do you say to that?
Second, she has a purebred Rottweiler, one she bought from someone shifty who met her in a Walmart parking lot to give her the dog.
Third, she used to BREED Rottweilers, aka OMG PUREBREDS!
Fourth, I adopted a dog from a shelter. The fact that she was highly desirable as a purebred puppy doesn't take away from the fact that she made room for another dog by coming home with me.
Fifth- Does she not remember any of her life- as only having one mix in about 30 years of dog ownership? Did she not understand what a hypocrite she's being? And most importantly, is she smoking crack?
Sixth, I didn't adopt Fable just because her breed or because she was purebred. There was a lot more to it than that.

So. . .that was my very odd night. I better leave the forum since I don't give a rat's ass about dogs.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Top Dog

Bleh. I hate when people are so obviously hypocritical. Maybe she was projecting her own guilt onto you to try to make herself feel better?

Regardless, you know you did a good thing getting Fable. And Fable knows she's got a good thing going
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Professional Nerd

People are so weird.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
First of all, WTH do you say to that?
"Well, since I'm such a terrible monster you probably don't want me taking care of your dogs. Good night!" *show to door*

At best, it will be like hitting "restart" as she backpedals and you can have an actual, logical discussion about it if you like. At worst, she's flustered but you're no worse off then you were before except she's probably not going to bring it up to you again.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

That's like if you rescued someone from a burning building, or grabbed someone from being hit by a bus, and someone said "you didn't save the RIGHT person". It's ridiculous. Why can't someone get a purebred from a rescue? They're just as in need of a home as any other dog, and plenty of them die daily in shelters.

People are just ignorant. They hear something and don't actually THINK about what really makes sense, and then shove it on other people. I know I've said this before on here but the owner of the grooming place we take Violet has told us TWICE that Violet is unhappy because she is an inside dog. Wtf? She has access to our fenced backyard, and anytime she wants out, she is let out. She WANTS to be inside most of the time. But the lady insists that "dogs like that" are meant to be outside, and she must be miserable. Lmao. She says this as her lab is kenneled in the back room, crying. People just say things. Don't take it to heart. You SAVED Fable. You did an amazing thing.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Mutts to you

Geez, I probably would have been flabbergasted, too (and not come up with a really good retort until later), although I've been told I DON'T have a poker face and people can clearly see what I'm thinking. Probably would have looked at her like she had two heads and not a brain between them...

I am curious, though - did she still expect you to come over and watch her dogs after chewing you out? That would take some chutzpah...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like she wasn't thinking very clearly. Crack very well may have been involved.

It's a bit like when people tell others they're a terrible person for adopting a puppy and not an older dog. Really? Either way, you're saving a life. Might as well get something you're going to be happy working with.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

I'd try not to let it bother you. I've had (multiple) people in public gush over Elsie and then ask, "Where did you rescue her?" When I said, "Oh, no I didn't--I bought her. From a breeder," they literally stood up, turned around, and walked away without another word.

Sometimes other people really care deeply about where you got your dog/how old you got your dog/what breed(s) your dog is, when honestly, it's not really their problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Original Twin

I've had people talk smack about Saga's ears and the fact that she is a purebred. AFTER they know she was a pound puppy. "Cropping is such a horrible thing, I can't believe you would support that by having that dog." A) I wasn't the one that cropped her ears. b) I don't actually have anything against cropping. C) Adopting her made room for another dog. I have been called a snob because my rescue dog is a purebred. Apparently, it isn't REALLY rescue unless you are saving some unidentifiable mutt with only half of one leg left.

People are just stupid.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Big Dog

That is just bizarre...