Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

Default Food Suggestions!

If I had the ability and freezer space to feed Raw/BARF on a continuous basis, I totally would, but I can't. And with the recalls and Zander's not doing totally well on CORE...I'm on the hunt for something new!

Currently he is on Wellness CORE, the fish formula. He's overall okay, but he still has goopy eyes and he fluctuates weight pretty easily. He's definitely on the fluffier side, and only getting 2 cups total a day. And his poop isn't ideal either.

Only requirements are:
--Not terribly expensive (I'm only looking at a 30lb bag every three weeks, though, so I'm okay with a $60 limit or so.)
--Grain-free (including oatmeal!). Preferably low-carb in general, actually.
-- Either fish or red meat formula available. He's allergic to both processed lamb and processed poultry.

I'm okay looking at ordering online, but I'd need suggestions as to where.

I've been looking at Acana, Annamaet, and a few others, but I'd like some other reviews, suggestions, and opinions as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Top Dog

Panzer eats raw but I feed Solo Orijen and Acana. Orijen has a fish formula and a red meat formula and is a step above Acana, though made by the same company. I find that Solo does equally well on all formulas of both brands.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

I was pretty happy with the couple bags of Nature's Variety INSTINCT I tried. It's in the $40-$60 range depending on sales. I think I even managed to get one bag for around $35 with coupons from Petco. I still feed canned Instinct on occasion. I'm not sure if there is a fish formula, but they do have a few different ones. I think chicken, beef, rabbit? and maybe venison? Can't remember for sure.

I now feed Victor dry, but it's not widespread yet, so where you're located it's very possible it isn't available yet. There are only limited varieties, though, no fish and no strictly red meat formula. They do have a high-protein/low-carb formual that's 42% protein. It was too rich for my dogs so I dropped down to the regular ALS formulas which is 33% protein.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:58 AM
*Now with Snark*

It's pretty rough trying to avoid the diamond recalls right now. Maybe Acana or Orijen would be the best way to go until this all blows over? Shoot - even purina pro plan selects chicken and brown rice might not be so bad.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Top Dog

As far as price goes Earthborn Holistic is priced like TOTW.

Nature's Variety Instinct or Acana would probably be my first choices if I had a bigger budget.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking long term, so I'll keep looking into Acana and Nature's Variety INSTINCT.

Is Earthborn Holistic available at Petco? I do actually have one of those here, so it might be something to keep in mind for a cheap&easy option should I forget to order food, it doesn't come in on time, whatever.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking long term, so I'll keep looking into Acana and Nature's Variety INSTINCT.

Is Earthborn Holistic available at Petco? I do actually have one of those here, so it might be something to keep in mind for a cheap&easy option should I forget to order food, it doesn't come in on time, whatever.

Petco does not have Earthborn, but they do have Nature's Variety.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I was pretty happy with the couple bags of Nature's Variety INSTINCT I tried. It's in the $40-$60 range depending on sales. I think I even managed to get one bag for around $35 with coupons from Petco. I still feed canned Instinct on occasion. I'm not sure if there is a fish formula, but they do have a few different ones. I think chicken, beef, rabbit? and maybe venison? Can't remember for sure.
The chicken instinct isn't badly priced, but their Salmon and Beef/Lamb are pretty high. I know a 25 pound bag of Salmon Instinct retails for over $70 per bag here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
As far as price goes Earthborn Holistic is priced like TOTW.

Nature's Variety Instinct or Acana would probably be my first choices if I had a bigger budget.
Earthborn is really nicely priced, but not particularly low in carbs. They have a fish formula (Coastal Catch) but it is higher in carbs and their red meat formula has both bison and lamb, so that wouldn't work.

With Orijen and Acana you would be limited to Pacifica/6 Fish as their red meat formulas both have lamb in them.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Also, FWIW both Solid Gold and Wellness have put a 100% stop to any of their foods being processed by Diamond.

About FRIGGIN time!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

I've always had the best luck with Acana. We are using the grain inclusive (which does have oats) but we've had good luck with the grain-free Acana too. Pacifica would probably fit your bill.

Also, Nutrisource/Pure Vita and Precise may have a few formulas you could use - both, I've heard, are in the same price range as TOTW (maybe a little more? Not sure). But they're both smaller family owned companies, no recalls, made in-house, etc.

I would think if you're looking for low carbs though, Acana and Orijen would be it. NV Instinct is high priced around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Also, FWIW both Solid Gold and Wellness have put a 100% stop to any of their foods being processed by Diamond.

About FRIGGIN time!
Oh, they both have? Nice!

I know Canidae is moving to a new facility too.

Brit & Jackson