Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
There is speculation that Aussies have quite a bit of Welsh to them, particularly Welsh Bab-Tails.
By the first link or so, I thought they resembled Aussies more than Border Collies.

This may be a bit of a stupid question, but how are they different than Border collies?

It always fascinating to me to see the different herding dogs that look similar, but to see how they really are different.

And maybe this should be a different thread, but...

Border Collies - crouching, use eyes a lot, gathering dog, more on the serious side temperament wise, not huge barkers.

Koolies - seem to be much more upright workers, a lot of eye not common for the breed (?), works by standing on -backing- the sheep (?), more on the 'happy-go-lucky' side temperament wise, likes to talk.

Aussies - more of an 'all round farm' type help, more of goofy/happy/silly side temperament wise, not sure of the upright vs. crouch style since the few I have seen have been both, not much eye.

Maybe this should just be a new thread, LOL. Would be interesting, everyone answer the same questions for the breed they're in to.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Jen, I've only read a little about them, but what I know is that they don't really have a "specialty" like BCs with sheep. They have a wider variety of animals they herd. They're also more like Aussies in the way that they don't have a "hard eye" and they use their bodies more.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandog View Post
I can give you the name of a breeder in OK than moved from Wales to the US - she brought a few along with her.
It's probably the same lady I've met, but if you don't mind PMing me that's good too.

Jen, I don't know totally. In a sports setting they act very similar to me from the few I've seen.

Working they are supposed to be a loose eyed herder. No crouch, no eye. They also are not just sheep herders, they herd everything. They head and drive (or the resources I see say some dogs head and some drive within the breed). I've also read that some Welsh sheepdogs back sheep like a koolie. The BC museum link has a good article with pictures of a Welsh sheepdog working stock.

The Welsh sheepdogs I've seen are very much more border collie like than Aussie like when it comes to SPORTS. Working though I'd think they'd work more like an Aussie or Koolie.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Here's a couple interesting working videos (to me at least)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YAk...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Qm8...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mJi...feature=relmfu
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Water Junkie

Oh, those are cool! Thanks! Yeah, wow, they definitely look like Koolies in regards to work (from the little, sadly, I've seen of Koolies working).

And I must say, the middle dog is absolutely beast. Working so close is a huge amount of pressure on the dog, and the dog shows no hesitation, no fear, complete control.

What is their temperament? Happy, serious, bouncy?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm All Ears

The ones I know seem more towards the serious side though maybe not as serious as a BC. Definitely not bouncy like an Aussie but not so blatantly intense like a BC.