Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 AM
and Fozzie B!

Aww you're getting a Husky puppy!?! I can't wait to see him/her!!! Watching Huskies grow up is amazing... they change so much, and they're the cutest puppies in the world. Also the naughtiest! They are no Goldens, but they're special. <3

I wouldn't feed Orijen or Acana to a puppy. (I wouldn't feed it period, after what happened with Gonzo, and friend's dogs that got very sick on it) Nature's Variety has a really good puppy food. My friend raised her Husky on that and he grew up beautifully! I'll raise my GSD on that kibble and raw.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Aww you're getting a Husky puppy!?! I can't wait to see him/her!!! Watching Huskies grow up is amazing... they change so much, and they're the cutest puppies in the world. Also the naughtiest! They are no Goldens, but they're special. <3

I wouldn't feed Orijen or Acana to a puppy. (I wouldn't feed it period, after what happened with Gonzo, and friend's dogs that got very sick on it) Nature's Variety has a really good puppy food. My friend raised her Husky on that and he grew up beautifully! I'll raise my GSD on that kibble and raw.

Sorry it took me so long to get on here and answer you. My nephew is actually getting two white Siberian Huskies. i just want to make sure he is doing everything right. He was raised with Goldens and little mixed breed dogs so I am trying to figure out the best food to get them on. He does not have them yet it will be another week or so.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
and Fozzie B!

WOW. 2 Husky puppies at once?! That's going to be lots of fun... and trouble!!!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Two Sibe pups at once is definitely asking for trouble and pack-bound dogs, especially for a first time owner! Most people can't keep up with the mental and physical needs of one, let alone two at the same time. Hopefully he is at least keeping them separated for the first year of their life.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Active Pup

Default строительств

большой пост занесу в закладки. с утра прочту
Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 AM
and Fozzie B!

^ LOL....

I agree Lyzelle! Make sure your son spends plenty of time with each puppy individually, or they will bond to each other and become virtually untrainable. Training Huskies is tricky enough!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Top Dog

That's interesting I have never heard of that. Would you say the training would be harder than German shepherds? I have always had plenty of dogs at one time and growing up was the same thing we never bought or adopted just one dog it was always in twos and threes at the same time so they would grow up together and I never had a problem I even asked my parents if there was some problems I did not remember. We had the three Golden brothers from the same litter and before they were fixed they did have a few fights we waited to get them fixed at like 8 months. It was like a sibling rivalry and all the fights started because of attention one of us humans would be giving one of them and someone would end up feeling left out and a fight would break out. After they got fixed there was never a fight. When I was a kid the German Shepherds were outside dogs and they were not fixed but never had a fight. I am really curious are Huskies that different from other dogs. When I trained the Goldens it had to be done separately so I expect that.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Top Dog

Sibes are extremely independent dogs, so yes, definitely different from a GSD or a Golden. They don't give a hoot what you think or what you want them to do! They have their own mind, and the scary part is - they know how to use it! If they don't want to be in their crate, they'll figure a way out of it. They might scream for a bit, but when they get quiet...they are planning escape. If they don't want to eat, they won't. Extremely picky, and you can't wait them out. Stubborn, stubborn, intelligent an independent breed. Mentally AND physically, they are extremely demanding dogs not for the faint of heart. Usually around 10-16 weeks and they are getting dumped at shelters. The majority of the public can't handle them. They really make terrible pets for general owners.

Most pups will become packbound if they are raised together, though, that isn't just a Sibe thing. And especially, two dogs of the same litter are never recommended to stay together. The dogs bond to each other instead of the humans, or in siblings, they usually end up fighting.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM
and Fozzie B!

^^ I agree!

Sibes are a 180 from highly biddable, people-pleasing Goldens and German Shepherds. There's a reason you see lots of Goldens & GSDs competing in Obedience and you NEVER see Huskies! While they are highly intelligent, you must motivate them to work for you (they don't particularly find any joy in "obeying", they are survivors) and make yourself an exciting, positive, confident influence. Independent and primitive breeds are highly independent and instinctual. They can be the most amazing, fun, hilarious pets with the right owner and training but they have to be given individual training, lots of exercise and you have to keep them in a safe and secure environment. Huskies are known escape artists and many will never have a reliable recall off-leash, even with diligent training. They are also known to be very guardy with food, toward people and dogs, so it's important to teach puppies that they do not NEED to be competitive with food and play the trading game often!

Fozzie is half Husky, and he was a pain as a puppy. He did what he wanted, when he wanted... never came when called... extreme food guarding... he was generally an adorable little jerk. But he was also very smart, never had an accident and learned quickly as long as I motivated him with food/play/life rewards! Using clicker training, high value treats, lots of play/tug rewards, NILIF and basically making him obsessed with me, he's the best dog in the world. I'm not saying it's impossible to raise two Husky puppies, if you have the time to raise two puppies and give them each individual attention/training/socializing, but they are not an easy family breed like Goldens. They are however amazing hiking companions, endlessly entertaining, wonderful with children and very dog social when they're bred and socialized well.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
woof!

Wow all this talk about huskies is very good, this is a coincidence since I'm actually looking for info of them because I want to write an article about them for a pet section in the newspaper.

Lately there was a LOT of strayed huskies, so I wanted to touch the subject that they are scape artists and they need something to do and not only be 24/7 in a yard looking like an ornament like many sadly people think.

So I want to know more of their Houdini abilities ;.)

My first dog Oso (the one in my avatar) was a GSD/ Husky mix , he didn't wanted to escape but he had a very hard head, like huskies. LOL