Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Default Orijen and Acana too much protein for Husky?

Our Goldens are on Orijen now but we are not sure what to give the Husky puppy when we get him. Would the protein levels be to high in Orijen and Acana?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Its not the protien that is a concern for growing pups, it is the cal/phos ratios.

Acana Pacifica and Prarie harvest are both appropriate.

However I know of tons and tons of people from Sibe specific sites that have raised their pups on Orijen.

Just be very careful not to overfeed. Their metabolisms are MUCH different than the goldens you are used to. For example, my 20lb mini aussie foster eats as much as my 50lb sled dog....
If you get a lot of loose poo, you might be overfeeding. Thats generally a good guideline to guague from.

By and large combing dehydrated "raw" foods with actual raw parts seems to be very widespread in responsible owners of the breed. Also there are huge numbers of owners who feed prey model raw. I know someone with a pack of seniors who feeds homemade too. By and large they seem to do best on as close to real food as possible. This is just what I've observed by owning, knowing other owners in life, and from what I've seen on breed specific forums.

If it were me I'd just feed properly balanced pmr, as the number of northern breed people who throw up their hands and end up there anyway are quite large... might as well avoid the issue entirely and start with what they are supposed to eat. But tons of people prefer the convience of processed food, so once again thats just what I would do not necesarily what may be the right answer for you.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Not a Border Collie

Not a husky, but Quinn has been on Acana GF formulas, rotated, since she was a young puppy. I did originally start her on Orijen Puppy but that proved to be a little too rich for her, so we switched to Acana Grasslands and she's been on Acana ever since.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

The only thing protein levels will really affect is the energy level. I've seem some Sibe pups go running on walls without adequate exercise, especially if they are being fed a high maintenance/energy food.

But it's basically everything Monkey said, it should be fine.
Small emphasis on the quantity, though. It is really easy to overfeed. Zander only eats around a cup of Wellness CORE twice a day, and he's maintaining...if not gaining a bit of flab. He's typically 65-70lbs, but he's probably pushing 75lbs at this point. But I assure you, he's still a crazy Sibe. Their metabolism is really interesting.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Top Dog

Lol you do not want to know the amount Lily ate on Evo. Granted she's smaller than Zander at 47-50lbs ideal weight.

She eats about 0.75-1lb a day of raw and I'm actually thinking of cutting her back a little or buying some more tripe since thats so low cal and good for them, she's getting fluffy (har har) for her which is a real oddity given how much exercise she gets. Scout's pretty thrifty too and has finally hit her adult metabolism thank goodness, but it seems Lily is freakishly so even for a sled dog. She's not even all Sibe either! So weird...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Thanks. I have also heard of dry foods that you can NOT add water to because it will cause bloat. I assume he will be eating mush and I wonder if I can add water to Acana? This also has me wondering should he just eat canned food? Maybe the blue wilderness canned food?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't suggest Blue at all. It made my Sibe sick as all get out, and took him a month to recover. And after working close to the company, I'm completely turned off.

I wouldn't see why you can't add water to dry kibble? A high quality kibble shouldn't expand that much. Why do you want him on soft food?

Lyz and Zander

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Dont quote me on this, but I am pretty sure the latest study suggestd one way to help bloat was to add a wet topper, like canned, to dry kibble. I feed raw so didnt pay that close of attention to it, but pretty sure the dane board (where bloat of course is a main topic) talked about that.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

^^^ I could see that. If they are inhaling their food + a lot of air, water or soft food might slow them down a bit. To be honest, I haven't kept up with the bloat studies or rumors lately. I need to probably get on that.

Lyz and Zander

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

I'm thinking the breeder will be mixing the dry with water but I have not talked to him about that yet so maybe he will be on dry by them. Thanks for the info about Blue wilderness it sucks though because I use that as a back up food if I can't get Orijen. I will have to find another back up.