Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Default Parenting- money for good grades?

An acquaintance has her 4 youngest kids with her (she has an older son who's living on his own). A 12-year-old, a 13-year-old, a 15-year-old, and a 17-year-old. For each A they get on their report cards they get $20 and for each B they get $10.
Do you think money is a good reward for good grades? If yes, why? If not, what is a good reward? Do you think there should be a reward at all?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

I don't think its something I'd do, I'd prefer to give days out or activities as a reward, but I know when I was a teen, I'd definitely have worked harder if I knew there was money at the end of it.

My Photos
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

I got money for good grades. But not per grade. It was all A's or nothing. I got $20 for all As. I would not pay per grade so that they might get an A in one class and a C in another yet still get money. And definitely not THAT much money.

My parents also didn't want me to have a job outside of school to earn money, because they wanted me to focus on getting good grades in school, which in turn got me scholarships for college.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

no , because each child's learning capabilities are different.

all would happen would frustrate the kids who have a difficult time as it is and make the ones whom learn easier to fly through there work and lord it over the other ones.

of course if i only had 1 kid then maybe , but with this group it is not fair. or even right.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

We got money for good grades. It was started to try and persuade my sister to work harder for better grades, and to be fair they had to give me money too

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

We did get money for grades, but it wasn't based on the number of A's. It was based on previous report cards and if there was improvement. I have 3 siblings and my brothers, no matter how they tried, never got A's and I was getting all A's all the time. So to be fair, it was based on improving and the money was always fair but not excessive.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

We got paid, but it was like $5 for an A, $3 for a B, yelled at for Cs, and beaten for Ds, and disowned for Fs. (Okay the last three may be an exaggeration).

I think the incentive idea is nice, whether it be money, gift, or a trip of some sort. Even for kids that may be "troublemakers" or have difficulties in school, there's always something that can be worked on that they may get a reward.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Never got paid for grades, knew people that did. I don't think I would though. I don't even care that much about grades. All this has turned into is learn this material to get this letter on this test, then get this letter for this class then it will get you this for college and they come out not knowing ****.

Learning how to learn is much more than putting it down on paper for a test. Learning how to think and work hard at things is much more important than some grade. And no, I don't think the two go hand in hand.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I don't think I'd pay my kid for grades (at least not PER grade), but I'd do something special to celebrate their good report cards. Maybe go to their favorite restaurant and do something else fun and special. To me, celebrating the success of a finished semester or quarter shows more than handing a child $48 for their assortment of As and Bs. I don't like the idea of "paying" kids to do well in school. Do well in school because you want to do well, and there will be something to celebrate when the report card comes out.

My parents would give me money for a good report card (I always had As and Bs)... it was usually about $50 and of course I liked getting it lol. I did well in school anyway- they didn't have to use money to motivate me.

I've always thought it was silly when parents paid for each A and B, to be honest.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I got money for grades when I was younger (this subsided by the time I went to highschool/waldorf school, as they don't get grades).

I didn't get THAT much though. I got $2 of an A and $1 for a B.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.