Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

No oldies here. Dance is my oldest and she's only five. The others are three (Ripley) and four (Keira). I am looking forward to the day I actually have a dog that makes it from puppyhood to old age (I've had seniors, but we got them as older adults), but at the same time, I wish I could prevent it from ever happening and keep them around forever.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Grace (stafford) is 11 1/2 years old. I guess she is slowing down a bit... she sleeps more during the day... I didn't think it possible!

However, she is traveling really well. Still plays like the puppy that never grew up, loves having her dash around the yard with Abby and wrestling in the kitchen. Takes a tonne of car rides and lazy walks.

She has a pre-existing cruciate ligament injury (had surgery when she was three which was successful) that can cause her some trouble in winter (arthritis) BUT we all say that she was worse in this respect before we got Abby (we got Abby when she was about 5 - so in her prime and Abby is turning 6 this year (6!!!)) When Abby came on the scene, she spent more time running and carrying on and at first we were worried. But truly it did her the world of good. In trying to protect her, we weren't giving that leg enough self exercise. We do massage for her leg if she is feeling it and on 'bad' days we can give her a painkiller. But I think we have given her about 3 tablets in the last 5 years. So I'm really happy how she is going. And she is such a happy dog.

I cannot believe she is 11 1/2. She was 5 when we got Abby! Time has flown by too quickly. I can't believe Abby is 6 either. The longest years with her were puppyhood to 2 years old because I found her difficult with her reactivity issues and I was an inexperienced trainer and had never had a dog like Abby. But from 2 - 6 years, after we had built up this great bond? It's gone in the blink of an eye. And Grace feels the same. I swear for five years I was saying she was 6 years old and then all of a sudden she's nearly 12!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Rumor is 7. She doesn't act old, but she has definitely started to look old. I swear I just woke up one day and her face was grey. I lost my last Doberman at 8, so every now and then I panic just a little bit.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Zobby just turned six, which blows my mind. He's starting to slow down and sleep a lot, but I don't know if that's from age or because he's now running 2-3 miles/day plus playing with Elsie.

The GSD I grew up with is 14, and he's starting to lose feeling in his hind legs. :[ He's deaf, and blind on one eye, too. He still plays with the puppy and Elsie just fine though.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

My old man Gyp is turning 13 in September, and still going strong, despite a case of Vestibular Disease about a month ago.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
LOL, Grace. I'm so sensitive with Millie I'm being even more of a freak with Fable. I know I am going to be a disaster. I almost broke down when she turned 3 months. "She's getting so OOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDDDD!"
Isn't it crazy?

When Trent was a puppy (him being my first dog), I would say every day "I cannot wait until he is 2 years old and mature"... and well, once he was 2 I stared at him daily thinking "rewind, rewind, rewind"! LOL!

I love him right now at 3 years old because NOW he is beginning to really mature, but I hate the number. And I'm going to keep on hating it as it goes up!

That being said, I never would have guessed some of our Chaz dogs are at the age they're at. Millie and Maddie come to mind right now, but I swear half the dogs mentioned in this thread, I had put at 5 or 6 years old maximum.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
...ice road...

Technically, my oldest is Jessi - She's 11 or so. She's just as spry as ever, like little dogs have a tendency to do be until they're 20! lol

Bindah is next in line, she's 6. She's still going strong and playing like a pup!

Ruger is 5, and he's the "old man" of the bunch... Such a prime example of a crappy bred dog Mentally he's still a party hard puppy... it's just his body won't keep up
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

Hobie is my oldest at almost 13. He is doing well but his knees are getting super bad.

I lost Red when she was 6...she would have been 8 in October. That one still tears me apart weekly.

Judge will be 5 in August. Time flies.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

My oldest is Belgian Loki who is 13+. She's still in good shape and spirits, although she doesn't hear well. Her dam is 17 1/2 and still doing ok for such an old girl. Jagger is 10 but doesn't look or act old at all. Ziggy almost 9 but I don't really consider that "old" necessarily. He doesn't seem any different than usual, although he's whiter for sure.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer turns 8 in a few days!

Beau turns 8 in August.