Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Just try me..

Default Scary episode with Dekka.. need ideas.

So Dekka wasn't quite herself. Snarked at Dash. Sat and gave me the strangest stare. Hubby got her up on the chair with him and she started to shake. BIG all over shakes.

He put her down and there was something obviously wrong. Her back was hunched, her tail was tucked down and to the side and rigid. She kept standing there picking up one back leg and extending and flexing the leg repeatedly but not touching the floor. Then she switched to the other leg. I was ready to go wake the vet up. When her tail wagged and she started to move. She started out walking very wide behind with little joint flexion, and then was fine. Hungry, happy, waggy normal..

So I didn't take her to the vet (no symptoms to show and no obvious pain when her back and hips were checked). Pinched nerve? Muscle spasm? Anything I should be careful of and/or watch for? ATM she is not being allowed to jump or do stairs. LOL at least we are trying our best. She is also wearing her Back on track coat in case its muscle.

I was first really scared as it looked similar to when she was kicked in the head. The hunchy, the shaking and the weird stiff legged gait so I was worried it could be neurological.. but I don't think that would have gotten better in a few min.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Could it have been a seizure?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Just try me..

Its possible but she was still really with it. And she was moving funny even after she was back to oh yay peoples. I am leaning to no.. but thats a really good thought to keep in mind.

She is EXHAUSTED now.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Behavior Nerd

Partial seizures often manifest as conscious but shaking. That would be my first guess tbh especially with the repetitive leg motions.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Felurian

That would definitely worry me, too, Kerri . . . Especially the part about her being exhausted afterward.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Seizure was my guess as well

ETA: rosey does that at least once a day, for the passed year or two. My guess is mini-seizures

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Just try me..

Maf is here.. she says (from her paramedic training) it didn't look like a seizure do to there being too many symptoms. Also she seemed in control of the leg movements, they didn't seem involuntary.

I will be keeping this as a possibility though to talk to my vet about.

Unfortunately Dekka doesnt' show pain. Even when she was kicked in the head and had a broken (at both ends) cheek bone she was fine with the vet poking it and having it handled. She is stoic to the max.. So we can't rule out pain sadly.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Just try me..

And at the time we didn't think to take her heart rate... (which would indicate pain)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
such sights to show you

Could be a seizure. Makes me think of back pain, too.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Felurian

I hesitate to say this . . . maybe TIA?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian