Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Maxy24's Avatar
Maxy24 Maxy24 is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,040
Default Xylitol

Does anyone else think that xylitol doesn't get enough attention? I mean everyone on planet Earth knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, my aunt freaks out if a chocolate chip falls on the ground. But chocolate isn't even that bad. Xylitol, from what I've read, is super bad and by the time you notice something's wrong your dog is in liver failure. I have not met anybody, outside of forums of course, who has ever heard of xylitol. Today I was talking to my mom and she informed me that Tucker ate a sleeve of her sugar free cookies today. Xylitol was the first thing that popped into my head and I asked her to check the ingredients, luckily there was some other sweetener instead. But my mom didn't know what on Earth I was talking about and didn't really want to check the label, she figured if he isn't vomitting there isn't a problem. If he had been vomitting she probably would have just assumed it was an upset stomach from eating so much. I don't think she understood how toxic it was, especially for a dog of his size.

I feel like xylitol needs some news attention or something. Especially now when everyone is on a diet and there are so many diabetics who are all eating sugar free stuff. But I don't think most people would know to check for it.

This is mostly of a rant/reaction to me being scared about mom leaving sleeves of poison cookies around the house for my dog to eat.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,367

up until recently xylitol hasn't been used in much. I still don't think it's all that mainstream in use. probably why not many people know much about it. until a couple years ago, I hadn't seen it in anything but a nasal rinse that was being pushed by some dentists and recently in some gum. But not a lot.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036

I agree that it needs more attention. The biggest place I see it is in gum like Trident, and has been for years. It's also starting to be in OTC meds, and possibly more dangerous than whatever the drug is if the dog gets a hold of it. .
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,393

It's in TONS of brands of gum, and I don't think it really gets the attention it deserves, either.

Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is online now
orange iguanas.
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,777

Agreed. Everybody gets a little worried when the dog eats a chocolate chip cookie. No one knows about xylitol.... my nephews were eating some fruity flavored candy mint things, the dogs were super interested in them and one of them ended up eating one that got dropped on the ground. I checked the ingredients to make sure there was no xylitol in them and my mom had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Juno CGC 2009 :: Sawyer 2015 :: Cajun CGC 2013 :: Lucy 2006
Run free, Molly :: Happy
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM
BloodhoundBlake BloodhoundBlake is offline
Active Pup
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18

My dog ate a thrown chewing gum yesterday. Should I be worried?
A great Bloodhound is produced by a responsible breeder and developed by dedicated owner.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
StarryNY StarryNY is offline
Active Pup
Join Date: May 2012
Location: US
Posts: 2

It's not quite as common as other things like Chocolate, although more prominent in gum (which, I don't see many dogs going after). I'm remembering a brief account my supervisor had on his dog eating a bunch of expensive chocolates that he mananged to get into. Fortunately, there was no issue with that but egads. Chocolate happens to be in the house more so than xylitol..that and it's an odd sounding name that's harder to remember than chocolate. O_o
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Kat09Tails's Avatar
Kat09Tails Kat09Tails is offline
*Now with Snark*
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upper Left hand corner, USA
Posts: 3,453

Well right now statistically one of the most common things that poisons dogs in the home is tic tacs according to ASPCA poison control. So I think yes, it probably needs more attention as the fatal dosage for a dog is mindshatteringly low.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
elegy's Avatar
elegy elegy is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,720

Oh absolutely.

Several months ago a friend of mine who is reasonably dog-savvy posted on Facebook that her dog had eaten a whole pack of gum out of her purse. She thought it was funny and her dog would have fresh minty breath. She had no idea that it could be potentially disastrous!

The gum *did* have Xylitol in it, though not as much as some have. She made the dog vomit and the dog didn't require further treatment. But it could have been scary.

We've had a couple dogs with Xylitol toxicity at work. They've all been chewing gum eaters.
Bean FDCh-G
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Sweet72947's Avatar
Sweet72947 Sweet72947 is offline
Squishy face
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9,155

My sister actually has a bag of Xylitol that she used to leave next to her coffee maker on the counter. Well, one day Daisy went counter surfing and ate some of the bag. This wasn't discovered until my mom got home from work at 5:00pm, and we didn't know when Daisy got into the Xylitol. We were all so worried, but all that happened to Daisy was a bit of a tummy ache, and then she was back to normal. This is the dog that has in the past gorged herself on chocolate and other sundry things, and never had anything worse happen to her than a little diarrhea. I swear she has a Stomach of Steel. My sister keeps her Xylitol in the cabinet now. That stuff is NOT anything to mess around with, even in humans, it can give humans a pretty bad case of the runs if they eat too much of it!
FOHA - Adopt!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site