Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Are you dead yet?

The dog doesn't go after the guy until it looks like the guy leaned over him and put his arms around the dog's middle.

Soooo abused...
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Puppy Dog

I was all ready to jump on this alleged animal abuser. And then I saw someone playing with their dog a lot like *I* play with my dog. I push at her with my feet, shove her around, put my hand over her muzzle and shake her, try to pry her mouth open and steal the toy from her. It's how I've built tug drive and it's an AWESOME game for Dahlia. She loves it.

The dog seemed to LOVE the air and was jumping up at it to bite at it. The dog was rough-housing with him and tug is NOT abusive. The only time the dog looked slightly uncomfortable was when he hit at his face (he did the "shake off") but then was back into tugging. The end looked like a guy who was overwhelmed by the dog's tug drive and a dog who was really HOT and wanted that tug like there was no tomorrow.

And then the guy JOGGED away. Sad that they're calling THAT animal abuse. How long until I get arrested for abusing my dog? I play my tug game on walks with other people around all the time. I hope no one videotapes ME and reports me for a game.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

The video of this, had there been one, would have looked a lot more violent than the one linked, but Elsie was having more fun and was a lot less afraid than she was in the photo below;

where I asked her to sit near a (10 foot) cliff. (I didn't force her, but I could tell she was a little hesitant to get that close. When I released her, she did a hilarious dance of SURVIVAL!)

And does this,

mean I'm running a dog fighting operation?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Lab Love

i think he was being too rough, but it was almost like watching how I play with my dogs.

I don't blow compressed air at them, but I squirt them with a hose. I don't punch them, but I do grab at their skin and 'rough up' their fur. People are too sensitive. The guy was definitely being a dick (looked like the punch connected) but animal abuse? C'mon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
If that's "tormenting," and worth a 5 year ban from owning pets, plus psychiatric treatment...then I should be sitting in a padded cell right now and for the rest of my life, never to own pets again, because comparatively, I beat the everliving shart out of mine. Daily.
basically this.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

It looks like the dog thinks they're playing...and I think he was only jumping at the man because the man had a white thing in his hand that he held quite high up that the dog wanted??
Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
It looks like the dog thinks they're playing...and I think he was only jumping at the man because the man had a white thing in his hand that he held quite high up that the dog wanted??
I can tell you that when my dog is in real tug drive mode and I hold the toy up, she leaps for it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I play with Knox way rougher than that. Way rougher. And he loves it. I wouldn't play with a strange dog that way, because I don't want to get bitten by a dog I don't know. And Knox has nailed me a few times for pushing him over his frustration threshold.

So, I don't think that's abuse.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysania View Post
I can tell you that when my dog is in real tug drive mode and I hold the toy up, she leaps for it.
OH YES! Gavorche is quite the jumper when we play tug, and Logan is starting to get more into it, too.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Is there room in that cell for me too? I(and only I) play that rough with Ivan at times. I've used my leg to push Ivan away, I've shoved him and the spotted bugger keeps coming back for more.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 AM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
If that's "tormenting," and worth a 5 year ban from owning pets, plus psychiatric treatment...then I should be sitting in a padded cell right now and for the rest of my life, never to own pets again, because comparatively, I beat the everliving shart out of mine. Daily.

You and me both! I seriously hope no one ever films me playing with my dogs

At no point in that video is that dog uncomfortable, abused, OR aggressive. It looks an excited, under-trained young dog paired with an excited, uneducated young guy... A couple of young, dumb boys roughhousing is all I see here.