Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Well I didn't even see a video I could watch, so I was trying to figure out how people made all this from the picture. LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Top Dog

From what it looks like, no not at all.

Blowing compressed air in the dog's face? Not animal abuse even if the dog didn't like it, and the dog wasn't even shying away from it, it's jumping at it, tail wagging (though I wouldn't say the dog looks particularly overjoyed... a bit hesitant maybe). I squirt from a nozzle in my dog's face (more like he jumps in front of it to bite the spray)... it comes out hard enough that I sure wouldn't want it sprayed on MY face lol, but Roman goes bonkers for it. I bet he'd like compressed air too, maybe I'll give it a shot lol.

As the reporter says "kicking AT" the dog... that could be animal abuse if he was making hard contact but it didn't look like it there. Just because a shoe is making contact with a dog doesn't mean the dog is distressed (and an animal being somewhat distressed is not cause for charges IMO). I slap Romans sides and hit him with the top of my foot sometimes, and I know lots of decoys use some pretty decent stick hits. Some dogs like it rough. Even if they don't sometimes there is a miscommunication between species... the human goes "I'M A MAN PLAY WITH ME LIKE A MAN, DOG," the dog goes "Meh, no thanks, not my style." Yes there's a limit but I don't think it was crossed here. Certainly the guy does not seem to be trying to hurt the dog.

The punching... that is where it starts to cross the line, it seems like he gets the dog a little too hard for it to be play. Still not animal abuse though IMO.

Honestly I think there was a combination of the guy wanting to play with the dog in a he-man fashion and a bit of teasing going on there. He certainly wants to play with the dog on some level because he is tugging with it.

Personally I think if they really want to fine the guy he should be fined on "dude you're an idiot grounds" rather than "omg the poor dog how dare he" grounds. But really, a visit to his house from the SPCA workers saying "hey, I see you got attacked by a dog there... we have video of you teasing it before it, you know, bit you. That was pretty dumb, do you agree? yes? yes. don't play with dogs like that again unless they are enthusiastically enjoying it. If you can't tell don't play with roughly at all. Go take your manly urges out on another man. It's better that way. good day." if they really felt there was a problem... charges? no. I hate how touchy feely and intrusive the law gets when it comes to companion animals.

ETA yeah, there were no posts when I started typing... I hate when that happens Lol
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Wait.. what? That entire video was a guy playing with the dog. The dog obviously gets over stimulated when he "attacks" the person. Why the hell would he plead guilty to animal abuse? Making a note to never move there because they will hang me from the gallows when they see how I play with Shambles.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Top Dog

I feel like this is bordering on absurd. The guy is definitely playing roughly with this dog, and his body language sucks (leaning over, aggressive posturing), but I think it's quite a jump from inappropriate play to abuse. I agree that somebody should have a sit-down "you're an idiot" talk with him, but that's it.

Some of the comments are absolutely irate. I wonder if they even watched the same video that I did...?

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

It looks like a guy trying to roughhouse with a dog he didn't know and wasn't his, and he may have pissed off/aroused the dog at the end to where it did go after him. I don't see cruelty, just some guy being stupid and learning not to try and roughhouse with some random dog lol.

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Top Dog

It looks like rough play to me. I play rough with Gavroche ALL. THE. TIME. and he freaking LOVES it (Logan's more of a fetch and chase dog, not a rough housing dog, unless it's with other dogs). I could easily see Gavroche getting a little TOO into it and going ober the edge, but that's why I pay attention and don't let it escalate to that point - he gets too nippy or serious we stop for a bit. The "punch" didn't even look like it made contact.

I think it's ridiculous for them to make that much fuss over it. Sheesh.

ETA: When the dog bites, it's after he plays tug. My guess is he was guarding the tug. The dog won tug of war, the guy went to get the tug back, and NOPE.

Last edited by Saeleofu; 04-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I just read some of the comments... wow, those people are idiots.

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

I almost got involved in the comments, but I got involved in comments on a news article involving dogs once.

Once.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Looks like the dog was having fun until the end...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 AM
and Spy.

I think it was totally inappropriate and towards the end I don't think the dog was playing anymore, but I also don't know from the video whether or not the guy was just a total idiot or whether he had bad intentions. While parts of it seemed like really rough play, other parts went beyond the realm of play, imo. The whole interaction seemed pretty stiff and tense, also.

Too little info to go off of for me to feel strongly one way or another about what the guy was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.