Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

When I just had Argon, I felt like I barely had a dog at all. It was more like having a sock that you could take for walks. I think I might have put too much pressure on him to be something he just isn't.

Having a second dog worked out best for both of us.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Blue_Dog

I've never had more than one dog some I'm biased. Though me might be dog-sitting a young lab for a weekend in June-ish so we will see how that goes.

I do like it though. I like knowing that I can devote my time to Sam instead of worrying about dividing it up, worrying about who is eating where, or if I will need to C&R, etc. I'm sure it's a blast and I don't look down on it one bit. Right now I just can't imagine it. Maybe in the future. :P
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Just try me..

I think the owner's situation makes a big difference. Sure 6 dogs sounds like a lot, and when Maf is here (like now) that makes it 8. But living in the country with dogs who can go off leash I can just go wander off with 5 of my own at a time or 7 with the extras..
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I think the owner's situation makes a big difference. Sure 6 dogs sounds like a lot, and when Maf is here (like now) that makes it 8. But living in the country with dogs who can go off leash I can just go wander off with 5 of my own at a time or 7 with the extras..
That does make a huge difference.

Having 2 dogs in an apartment is hugely more work than 1. You have to throw on shoes (and bundle up in the winter, or take an umbrella in the rain) oodles more often for potty walks, have to train two dogs to walk on leashes nicely next to each other on often narrow sidewalks and busy streets, teach two dogs not to feed off each other's barking when a bus comes by, etc.

In a suburban house, it's easier, but it's still twice as many baths, twice as much muddy paw cleaning, much more vigilance on daily walks, a bigger pain to cart them to the dog park to run, etc.

If I lived in the country where I could just let them outside to run off steam, I think it might be a different story.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
This is true. Most people out here have multiple dogs. When I had Millie, Lucy, Harley (Rottweiler), and Rosie (Rottweiler), it didn't feel like I had a lot of dogs, even though 4 is a lot for some people. If I lived in a NYC sky rise apartment it would been different.

I know just as well as anyone that small dogs need the same stimulation and care a big dog does, but I think size can play a role. I want both more Rotties and chihuahuas in the future, and I can picture myself with 5 chis and that being easier in few ways than 5 Rotties. (Of course 5 Rotties would make me happy too, lol.)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

I can't believe having just Mocha or Missy or Muffin... So, no, I can't imagine having just one dog right now.

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Everyone I've asked have told me that they never looked back after getting a second (or third, or fourth, or fifth, etc.) dog and could never imagine having just one. This reassures me for when I will get a second dog, because I know Trent (like Sit Stay's Quinn) will not be happy about it.

However, I definitely just had one of those great weekends working and hanging around with him that make me wonder. He's my first dog, and I feel incredibly comfortable right now having just him around. So right at this moment, I think I really just want a one dog household, but we all know that's not going to happen
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
...ice road...

Quote:

This!

I grew up with multiple dogs, and I've never have it any other way. I'm way too active for just one dog.. I'd kill the poor thing lol I had one dog for a few months in Oregon, and it was such a desolate feeling! I have 5 right now, with 3 more on the property... And it still doesn't always feel like enough!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Top Dog

I had three for a few years, and there was always some tension between a couple of them, but in general it was ok. When I had five, two old ones, a young adult, and two pups that ended up the biggest of them all, it was just too much. I ended up finding the pups a home that worked out great. They lived to almost 15 and had 4 cats to play with in a huge house with a huge yard to run around in.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Active Pup

I've grown up with always having 2-3 dogs at a time plus the occasional foster. Right now while I'm at college its very strange having only one dog but its much more convenient. It's so much easier walking one dog and finding time to train one dog but I'm really missing having more dogs around. I also think the dogs like having another dog around. Even my dog that doesn't play with other dogs or really like other dogs is so much happier when we are back home with the other dogs in the house. I think 2 is probably my number and it depends on the living situation. When we had the three at a time we lived in the country and could take them on off leash walks plus had a lake for them to swim in. Now in the apartment I have to actually walk with him on a leash and I have to actually take him out for potty breaks instead of just opening the door for him to go out in the yard.