Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

I have five, but I doubt I will ever have five again. When I think back on it I did really enjoy just having two. The future is so up in the air (my youngest is only 17 months old) and the oldest is roughly 8 at best guess. We have in fact planned that as they pass we will not get another dog until we are down to just Shambles (who could be as old as 11 by the time every one else has gone) and adding another then, or just not adding any period and only fostering. A dog free foster is like a gold mine at my work for DA dogs stuck in the shelter.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 AM
<--------Orson

I think a one dog household suits me as well.

We had Phoebe for about 6 years before Orson came along. It was quiet and orderly, LOL, and I liked it! Then we added Orson and the order exploded! Now Phoebe is passed on and it's just Orson. He is still not 'orderly' but the work level has gone down, and it does feel different to concentrate any/all efforts towards one dog instead of two.

I'm not against adding another dog right now, but I'm not actively seeking either.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

There have only been two times in my life where I only had one dog and I always thought there should be two...it just seemed like something was missing. When I was a kid, we started out with one, but she had pups and we kept one so there was a two dog household from when I was very young.

I've had various numbers of dogs at different times in my life. A few years back I had 4 at a time. It was a tad on the hectic side, but really quite workable. It was mainly difficult to travel with all 4. Otherwise, we took off leash hikes mainly, and that made it easier than walking them on leashes individually or all together.

Now I'm down to the two Chihuahuas. They're really no harder than having one dog. They're so easy. I like that they have each other for buddies too, besides me. I enjoy seeing them play and snuggle...they get along so well. I have a feeling that if I were down to one, I'd be sorely tempted to get another. Two seems to be a good number for me. Although, maybe it would be wiser to just have one at some point because I'm getting older and lazier. One would be easier I guess, but I just don't like the dog to be solely dependent on me for companionship. I like being able to leave for a few hours and know that they have each other. I find these tiny dogs much easier than big dogs in most ways. It would be a different feeling to me to have just one....not sure if I'd like it...maybe.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

I like having two, but I like the giant age gap we have with Schaffer and Kailey. He was ten when we added Kailey a year ago and, though still playful, mellow and well-behaved. That way, I can focus on the new dog (as far as behavior) without worrying about the old dog so much.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
One dog is so ridiculously easy, if they're not Frodo.
I fixed it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
I have five, but I doubt I will ever have five again. When I think back on it I did really enjoy just having two. The future is so up in the air (my youngest is only 17 months old) and the oldest is roughly 8 at best guess.
For some odd reason I thought you were talking about CHILDREN here, and was confused that you did not know how old your oldest child was

As for me. I'm totally a one dog person, if it's the right dog. If the dog fills all my wants in a dog, then I would never look for another. Right now Frodo is not that dog. My next dog is going to have more energy than GOD, lol. I hate that when I want to go hiking on my days off, I know that we have to plot out a path where Frodo doesn't have to go too far. If he was 12 years old I'd say that's fine, but I do find it annoying being that he is only 6 years old.
Because of his various other issues (DR/mild SA/etc.) and the fact that he would be a complete brat if I left him home and took another dog somewhere, I won't be adding another young dog until Frodo passes. I'm still toying with the idea of adding a senior dog so they can act old together, lol.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Plus One

We've never had one dog. Ever. We've always had at least 2 but generally around 4. Now we've got 7 and I think longingly of the days with only 5. Sometimes I wish I only had one but then when I spend a few days at my grannies with one dog and the poor dog is always exhausted because we're always playing, hiking or training. Personally I think 4 would be the perfect number for me. Two golden oldies and 2 young active dogs.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
YES. I much prefer one dog. I have had numerous fosters, watched my in-laws dog many times (there could not be an easier dog than he was), dog-sat for friends...and I am ALWAYS relieved when they go home!...
Same here. Really, the only time I haven't been relieved a visiting dog went home was when we babysat our friend's Golden. Rocky was as much a part of our family as our dogs that we had at the time (first Heineken, our Siberian/GSD and then, after he died, Mick). If it's the right dog, there is a very slight chance we would consider a second one, but a one dog household is ideal for us.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Meh there are pros and cons to both.

I love having just Boo around in that it makes it a lot easier to just pick her up and go places. I don't have to worry about food or bones lying around and training is made so much easier without feeling bad about one dog being left out.

Of course, I also love fostering temporarily because I enjoy watching the dogs play, it's nice to have the different personalities around, and I love watching the puppies grow and learn.

But you should've seen the looks when I attempted to walk my two foster pups (2 summers ago) and Boo to Starbucks. Crossing the highway, I had a puppy in each arm and Boo on a leash beside me. Crazy dog lady much?

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

We have three at home and when I'm not there I think it's too many. We worked it out by dividing "ownership" of the animals. Mammoth is mine, Bailey is "Hannah's" (though actually Dad's), and Liberty is Dad's. This keeps guilt down while ensuring that even the difficult dogs get enough attention.

With only myself, I couldn't imagine having more than one dog. I just get so attached and I don't think I could divide my time evenly between more than one.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn prefers being an only dog for sure. She is so much more happy, relaxed, and cuddly at my boyfriend's house than she is here. She loves having us to herself and being able to let her police duties slide.

Unfortunately I would like a second dog lol. I can see her liking the next one better than she does Dally, though. For one it will be a male, and it will also be raised to her liking (will be brought in as a puppy).

Quinn - English Shepherd