Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

I have always been a one dog kind of person.. I dunno, I guess it just suits me I go home to my family multi dog household and I just think it's too hectic with 3! and these are two little ones and one big one.

I like the relationship. You don't really have to share time, energy, funds, attention etc..
I like the freedom of it. Finding someone to dog sit, being able to travel with one, rent with one, walk one, etc.. its just SO MUCH EASIER!!

Especially renting. Oh god, finding a dog friendly apartment is hard enough. Finding a place that will allow TWO is just about insanity.

I live in a city, so only dogs get plenty of dog play time at parks and such so I don't feel like they are missing out that way. They have dog friends we see everyday

I love that I can go to a cafe and comfortably have my dog sit under the table.
I like that it's so easy to focus on just one and play with one when we are at the park..
There are also things that I splurge on for just one that I would NOT feel comfortable doing with multiples. I could really not handle having two dogs on raw!

Usually, on the weekend, I spent the whole day out and about with my dog. And with one, waiting outside while I run in a store, or sitting under a table while I eat, or sitting on my lap as we ride the metro isn't that big of a deal.
with two.. that would be a problem. I would have to think about shorter walks split evenly, or going back to pick one up to do different errands.. and ugh, I just wouldn't want to deal with it lol

I don't want dogs together, even when I'm home. I like walks to be personal time (plus it's way hard to run with two).. so that would also be an issue. splitting up walks.

There are some downsides of course. When I'm at work or school , my dog is alone and I do worry that he is lonely all by himself. Even if dogs just sleep when you are gone, it must be comforting at least to have each other around. and if i wasn't in a city with such frequent dog park access, I would worry about my dog missing out on being with other dogs.

If I had the space (like lived in an actual house with a big yard) I would consider it more.. because I guess in that sense, them getting out isn't so directly related to walks and you walking them.
and if I was in a relationship where that other dog was cared for by another person, then I would be totally fine with multiples!

but usually.. I'm better suited for one
Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm All Ears

I can't stand just having one, I will never do that again. I also have a dog though that is NOT a good only dog. With all the stress that Mia brought, Summer was pretty much immediately happier once I brought Mia home.

2 is pretty ideal for me. Of course I'll be doing the more than two thing for a while, but eventually I want to get back to 2 dogs.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

I think it depends a lot on the dog(s). Growing up, we had an energetic lab mix that was a lot to handle. FUN dog, don't get me wrong, but it became a chore to get her exercised enough and all that. Having another dog at the same time as her would've probably been too much for us to handle.

I had Luna for several years as an only dog. Luna is VERY easy to live with - she sleeps a lot, doesn't need a lot of exercise, is mostly well behaved, etc. - and in a way it gets boring, LOL. EASY, yes, but boring. So I got another dog.

Keegan would be fine as an only dog. He LOVES other dogs, but would be fine with only humans too (though he'd sure be sad living without his cats, LOL). He's definately NOT boring, and sometimes it gets overwhelming having to deal with him PLUS another dog. I do feel guilty a lot for paying less attention to Luna, I have to make a point to give her attention because she's not going to just beg for it, but she does need it.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I have never had more then one dog living with me full time, but I do enjoy having multiple dogs when I housesit or go to friends houses. Its just fun. There are lots of perks to just having 1 dog though! You only have 1 dog to train, feed, exercise, etc. Its easier to focus on just one dog at the park and on walks. Just 1 dog to train, so more time, focus, and less money. Cheaper. IDK. I would prefer more then 1 dog in the future, but for now I enjoy the 1 dog perks. One thing though, it has been Very lonely since my one dog died. I would have prefered to have another dog at home to cry into and not be so lonely.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

As others said, it really depends on the dogs for me.

When we had Tippy and Matrix, I really enjoyed having Matrix to do the fun stuff with, and Tippy to do the snuggling and cuddling with. Once Tippy passed and we got Mitch, I desperately wished it were just Mitch and I. We just had such an incredible bond, and Matrix really struggled with me not being his #1.
Now we're back to a one dog household for the first time in 9 years, and I hate it. Matrix is older and having a lot of hip problems, and I really miss not having a dog to do all the fun hikes and park trips.

I think once I move out, I'll be a single dog home and add a puppy/young dog when my current dog becomes to old/arthritic to go to the park and things.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Top Dog

I love just having one dog

I really enjoy all the 1 on 1 time I get with Yoshi when I'm not working. She loves to cuddle and just get attention and when my brother's dog was here she was kind of miserable.

Also I find it a lot easier to go on vacations *I always take her* with just her. She's a great road trip partner and it is pretty easy to convince people and places to let me bring her.

I know multiple dog homes work for some but for me the 1 on 1 time with my heart dog means way more to me than having more time with multiple cute dogs.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Whenever I pet sit at a multiple-dog household, I'm always happy to get home to my ONE dog

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

In some ways it is easier to have one dog. It's easier to travel with one, it's easier to make sure that one dog gets all the attention and stimulation it needs, etc. But I love having a multiple dog household, and I loved when I had 4. My current ideal and maximum is two dogs, but in the future I can see myself having 3-5, depending on the dogs. In Millie's lifetime I am definitely not adding another. Fable is already overwhelming to her.
I don't know if this is morbid or not, but I appreciate being able to have a "transition dog." I don't even want to think about losing Millie, but for me it's easier after losing a dog to still have another, instead of a completely empty house. When I lost Lucy I would have gone mad had I not had Millie. Of course that's not how I pictured it. . .Lucy was much younger than Millie and I thought she was going to be my "transition dog."
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

I've pretty much always had more than one dog. When I had just two, it was sad and unnatural, lol.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Durp Dog

I hated having just one. I am still getting use to dividing my training/attention between 2 dogs, but we are getting there. I was focusing too much on "well I just trained(walked, petted, ect) Lacey for 30 mins, I need to train(walk, pet, ect) Nora for 30 mins."