Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Default One dog households - does anyone prefer this?

I've been house sitting for a friend and have just brought Abby along for the stay. (Usually we live with my parents' dog Grace.)

It's been wonderful! I love the freedom of doing whatever I want with one dog without having to think about the logistics of it all (which probably makes me very lazy lol) Abby has some resource guarding issues, so there are times that I have to separate the dogs.

I also love devoting all my time to one dog. Not that I resent having to look after two (Grace is so much more loving to be honest), but Abby and I have done so much more fun stuff together in the space of a couple of days.

I was saying in Paige's adding another dog thread that I traditionally like more than one dog - because I love having dogs and also to provide some company for the dogs when I'm not around. Grace is not getting younger and although I hope she has quite a few more years to go, I often wonder how Abby will cope being on her own.

She warms to other dogs, but there are some issues and extra careful planning to be done if I were to consider adding another dog and I'm not sure if I really want to. I guess I'd have to wait and see to see how she will cope being an only dog, but my gut is telling me that she'd be just fine. She'd go spare in a multi dog household I think, but having one companion she gets along with is fine.

Does anyone prefer a one dog household?
Have you ever had only one dog before based on the needs of a particular dog?
What did you miss about having multiple dogs?

I love to dabble in training with Abby although we don't compete. In the future, my dream is to have a dog to dabble in some competition, but as far as companionship and the fun we have, Abby is all I really need.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

When I had a one dog household, it didn't feel right. It felt empty, quiet, and far too calm and controlled. My most comfortable number is 3-4. Perhaps I am a tad insane.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
When I had a one dog household, it didn't feel right. It felt empty, quiet, and far too calm and controlled. My most comfortable number is 3-4. Perhaps I am a tad insane.
Lol, not insane! With the right dogs I would be fine with three I think, going by my experiences with looking after my grandmother's dog. It didn't phase me. I haven't personally tried four!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Let it be

I'm a one dog household and I do like a lot of the perks to it. I only have to walk, train and feed one dog. I never have to worry about anything because my dog is awesome and rarely puts a toe out of line. He's smart, he's fun and most of all he just fits really well.

It comes with a lot of positives but if I wasn't pregnant right now I would have added a second around the time this baby is due. Ah well!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I agree, there are a lot of perks to having one dog. I had just Chloe for about a year, and very much enjoyed it. It's a lot easier (IMO) BUT I live with my parents, one dog is mine, one is my parents, I dont have a whole lot of say in training Violet, and I think it would be easier/more enjoyable if both dogs were mine, trained the way I want them trained, and the breed of dog(s) that I prefer. I lovelovelove Violet, don't get me wrong, but she isn't my ideal breed or ideally trained to what I would prefer. It causes some tension, and is definitely hard at times having more than one dog when you don't really have a say in BOTH of the dogs.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

YES. I much prefer one dog. I have had numerous fosters, watched my in-laws dog many times (there could not be an easier dog than he was), dog-sat for friends...and I am ALWAYS relieved when they go home!

The logistics of one dog are just so much easier. Walks, feeding, training. I can take all the agility classes I want, without feeling the guilt of leaving a dog behind, or having to take half the classes with Lucy. I can always bring her with me when I go to visit family, because none of them have qualms with a small dog visiting. Two though, and I'd feel like I was seriously imposing and they'd never come.

The cost of vacation boarding would become prohibitive. It's already $40/day to find a dog sitter here for 1 dog. If I had to pay $80/day, I think we'd be shortening our vacations.

My dog enjoys other dogs, but she's so much happier when all the attention is hers. She hates sharing laps, belly rubs, and the bed at night. Our house is just happier all around when she's an only dog.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad to hear that some of you do like it or prefer it. It is a tad difficult when the second dog isn't yours, I'll admit, Dixie'sMom.

CaliTerp - Yes, the whole no guilt thing is great and because my walks, training sessions etc with Abby require a lot of my concentration, it's can be hard to have another dog come along. I spend a lot of time doing stuff separately with dogs, although I'd rather be doing most of them together. With the right dogs it wouldn't be an issue, but Abby is a bit different.

I am really starting to think that Abby would adjust fine to being an only dog. She's certainly taken to it this weekend like a duck to water.

The more I think about it, the more appeal it has to be honest.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I agree, there are a lot of perks to having one dog. I had just Chloe for about a year, and very much enjoyed it. It's a lot easier (IMO) BUT I live with my parents, one dog is mine, one is my parents, I dont have a whole lot of say in training Violet, and I think it would be easier/more enjoyable if both dogs were mine, trained the way I want them trained, and the breed of dog(s) that I prefer. I lovelovelove Violet, don't get me wrong, but she isn't my ideal breed or ideally trained to what I would prefer. It causes some tension, and is definitely hard at times having more than one dog when you don't really have a say in BOTH of the dogs.
I think this is me.

Jackson is my only dog and about three nights a week, while I'm in school, we live at my dads house with his two dogs. It gets very annoying quickly, because their dogs aren't trained/fed/exercised/socialized the way that I would to my own dog. So it ends up becoming a hassle as Jackson is a copycat and often follows their lead in excessive barking, and all the other nonsense and then I can't wait to be back home for from Friday-Tuesday morning with just him and I.

I also am always really glad to bring a dog back after dogsitting for a long-ish period of time (days or weeks) and it's like "whew!" when we get rid of them and back to my one-dog household. However, again, these have all been dogs that I wouldn't choose for myself (breed-wise, and personality-wise) and also not trained the way I would, so I THINK if and when I add a second dog, and it's MY choice of dog and MY training, etc, etc, it will be a different story.

So anyways while I go through my "I REALLY want another dog phase... " then I begin to appreciate how amazing my dog is and how (fairly) easy he is, and just... one dog in general is easier because I bring him almost everywhere that he can go, etc, and one is definitely easier than two in that aspect.

But I also know I won't be waiting until Jackson is no longer here to get another dog, so at one point, I will add a second. It's just a matter of me being financially ready and more stable.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

I've never had a one dog household, but we have had just one dog here and there for a night (usually when we're going on a trip - we'll drop the Dobes off the night before and Dance is still home) and it feels weird. Really nice actually in a lot of ways, but weird nonetheless. One dog is so ridiculously easy. But multiple dogs is what I'm used to and as much as I enjoy my occassional nights with just one, I enjoy getting back to multiples.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
orange iguanas.

I think it depends on the dog(s).

I feel like I only have one dog. Lucy is so low maintenance that she hardly requires much thought. Food, potty breaks, and a couch to sleep on are the only things she needs. She doesn't want to go out and about, she doesn't want to run around and exercise, so I don't feel bad leaving her behind while I take Juno out to do those things. If anything, I only feel bad because I WISH she was more keen to participate in those things with us.

In theory I think I prefer a multiple dog household because when I do happen to get both dogs out and actually enjoying themselves, it seems way more fun than when it's just me and Juno. But their energy levels balance each other out, and they get along and co-exist together wonderfully so there is no added stress there. If they were at each others throats all the time or if they were both bouncing off the walls with energy, then yes I would probably prefer to just have one dog lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013