Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

In regards to the diarrhea, most young kittens do get loose stools when they're switched to formula and/or canned food. Was his belly full when you found him? Sometimes the mother cats move their litters and she may have been in the process of moving kittens.

It's almost what we like to call "kitten season" here, where everyone drops off kittens they've found to the vet clinic. One year we had 15 at one time (11 with ringworm)..horrors.

ETA: in the meantime, you can probably offer some plain yogurt or Benebac to help with the tummy issue until he can be seen at a vet
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Email rescues, somebody will help you out. Honestly, he needs to get in before Tuesday. All this diarrhea he's just going to get dehydrated, and he can be getting infections

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Are you dead yet?

It doesn't sound like he's especially healthy, but nearly every malnourished rescue kitten I've bottle fed has had awful stool and an inflamed butt for a few days after going from NO food to rich, unusual formula. I would not panic, but I would give him a little squirt of nutri cal a few times a day, and try to get some extra liquidy formula in him if you can. Most kittens seem to do ok with a little dab of nutri cal.

BTW no kitten eating formula is going to have firm stool. At best it'll be a soft "tube" of poop. TMI I know but I've never ever had a kitten with hard poops on formula. I do get better results with homemade formula than I do with the dry powder stuff though.

He does need to be wormed and checked out, though, I agree. See if any rescues can help you out.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
APBT crazy!

How is the little guy doing??
Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

He is doing pretty good. Just posted another thread of him in the cat and pet forum with some updated pics.

He is eating like a champion and he is really starting to come around and socialize more with us. The dogs adore him.

He has a vet appointment today to do an overall checkup and a fecal. He definitely looks wormy and I think he looks like he has a hemorrhoid. Poor guy. Been putting vaseline on his bum which has helped calm the inflamation a bit but he should get meds for it today.

Stopped by the vet by my work yesterday and they said he looks just about 4 weeks old.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle