Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Resident fainting goat

I do have to kind of agree with Xandra, if I was a buyer on the waiting list.. I would be CONCERNED, not turned off, by all this stuff going on. Not that you were honest about it, but maybe about the robustness or socialization of the puppies

So perhaps make it extra apparent and make a note of saying that regardless of the rough start, these pups are where they should be and healthy developmentally and temperament wise and that this wasn't an issue of a weak dam or sickly puppies (which is what many people do think when these kinds of things come up and they don't know any better), but just delivery complications.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Durp Dog

I like the blog. It shows that you are willing to go to the ends of the earth for your dogs. That you truly care and do your BEST you possibly can for your dogs

I was just adding together the vet costs, alot of breeders would have jumped ship at the sight of the vet bills. Bloat x2, c-section, the pup you took back to help, bottle feeding (god I know it's expensive for one kitten, much less a big litter of large breed pups!), momma being hospitalized, ect. And we haven't even got to the shots, wormings, checkups, ect.

You are amazing, and your blog proves it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Big Dog

Aww thanks. Yes... it has added up... I think 4 sold puppies might pay for it all lmao Ah well, we do what we have to. I can't abandon my girl, or here puppies. I've decided to attempt to find a foster bitch if I can, though if not they seem to be managing. Two more weeks to solids...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Love my pets

I think honesty is a rare trait these days. I applaud you for being open & honest. You are the kind of breeder I would want to adopt from since I knew you would be honest.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would prefer an honest blog from a breeder myself. It wouldn't turn me off one bit. If anything, it would make a breeder more attractive. For someone who buys a pup from you, how cool to have such a detailed account of their first weeks of life, even if things didn't go as everyone would have liked.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I would buy one of your puppies in a heart beat. I like the honesty.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

NO! NO! it would not turn me off. If anything it would probably be a deciding factor. As others have stated honesty is a good thing(drama not so much). If I was a potential puppy buyer, I would like to know the good, the bad and the ugly that is going on in the litter. And any of your puppy buyers have got to know that bloat is a real potential (as it is with ANY deep chested breed).

Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Taxiderpy

When I see a breeder put on their website or even mention to me that they had a problem with osteo, or bloat, or whatever, my trust in them skyrockets. No line of any dog is 100% free of disease, and accidents happen even to the hardiest ones. If a breeder is upfront about all that, then I trust them not to hide possible issues.

Also, there's something so appealing about a case like Renee's. We're sitting on the other side of the screen, thinking about them and rooting for them. I feel a lot more connected to your puppies because of it and I've never met them or their parents or you. lol
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Big Dog

I was so happy to have really positive news to post today Renee has been ok'd by the vet to nurse the puppies again, and is desperate to be back with them. She's so much happier with her babies.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

Bloat is a lot more common than some people realize. I think it's good you are putting up what happened to you there. If someone is turned off by something like bloat they should probably be looking at a different breed.