Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM
such sights to show you

Perfection is suspicious. I agree with others that I would find the honesty appealing rather than off-putting if I were looking for a breeder.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

I hate to say it, but honestly I would be somewhat wary of buying a puppy where there complications, bottle feeding etc. Not to say I wouldn't go through with buying the pup if I were on the wait list necessarily, but I would be worried that the rough start in life might predispose it to other problems later on. And I would definitely want a pup that thrived from the beginning.

Despite that I think the right thing to do is to disclose... you'll find other puppy buyers and I think everyone appreciates disclosure whether it's what they want to hear or not.

Just IME with life disclosure = security... you never have to worry about someone finding out a "dirty secret," a reputation of full disclosure is good for quashing rumors etc.

And I think lizzybeth is right on when she says people (pet people anyways) will appreciate the drama of it. People tend to really like hard luck cases, it's an interesting story... and even people like me, if they've been on the wait list and are all hyped up are unlikely to bail And even if I felt too uncomfortable buying a pup from this litter, I would have nothing but good things to say about your integrity. Like Laur said, when breeders are honest you just can't help but really respect them.

Once the situation itself is out there, I think the blog is interesting and will probably make people more drawn to and attached to the pups.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

I think all the detail would make me feel even closer to the breeder and the puppies. Just like when we all watched a member on here's puppies grow up via puppy cam. What would make me suspicious is seeing a picture of mommy and her brood and then 6 weeks later see pictures of the pups and have some no longer exist without explanation.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Big Dog

Thank-you. I have always leaned towards openness and honesty, and sometimes it bites me in the bottom. My friend just wants to make sure that I don't get myself into trouble, but she and I do think differently in many ways. I really hope I don't turn away buyers (honestly puppy sales are the only thing that's going to let me pay my vet... he's making a ton off me at the moment - good thing I like him lol), but I certainly don't want people coming back to me later about stuff either. I don't want to be whiny or such, just up-front about things.

Why must every litter have something that goes wrong? Just one completely straight-forward and simple litter would be nice... lol
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Honestly, seeing all the work and heartache that is going into this litter would make me want to pick you as a breeder that much more. I know you just arn't doing it to make money, but devote your life to ensuring these puppies live a long, healthy life.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Just try me..

Transperancy is best IMO. I agree that if everything is out in the open there is no chance that someone will come back at you later. Sure you might lose a puppy buyer now, but your openness and obvious dedication to the dogs will gain you far more in the future.

Last edited by Dekka; 04-27-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: accidentally a word
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Show Dog

I too like hearing the honesty and struggles of others, regardless of what it is.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

I'm kind of thinking the puppy buyers you may loose by being honest and upfront are probably puppy buyers you dont really want in the first place
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I'm kind of thinking the puppy buyers you may loose by being honest and upfront are probably puppy buyers you dont really want in the first place
I agree. I don't think it's a bad thing to be upfront and honest with people.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I have to agree with this. And I'd like to add that if you try to change who you are, and write in different tone--it would likely come across as insincere. You are who you are--don't change that.