Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Talking Story from a Minnesota state trooper. Hilarious, but what's wrong with this story?

http://www.merlinsilk.com/2012/02/06...state-trooper/

This is a hilarious story. But as you read it, do you see anything wrong with it? I did. I was thinking it all the way through as the writer explains. As you read past the funny part, you'll see why.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/carrypermit.asp

Made up story.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

So what?! That's hardly the point, is it. It doesn't matter if it's a made up story. ROFLOL!

Aesop's fables are made up stories too, but they carry good lessons.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
So what?! That's hardly the point, is it. It doesn't matter if it's a made up story. ROFLOL!

Aesop's fables are made up stories too, but they carry good lessons.

Aesop's fables never claimed to be true. Making up a hypothetical story to prove a point is one thing, making up a story and calling it true is another.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Well then honestly, no I see nothing wrong with it. The woman in the story was speeding, she deserved to be pulled over.

And yes, the cop should totally be allowed to ask about her weapons. I don't see why anyone would be up in arms over that. When I was pulled over, the cop saw my school district parking permit and asked what school I taught at and what subject I taught. Not offended. When I was in a car accident shortly after moving to Virginia, the officer saw my out of state license and asked when I moved here and what for. Not offended. Cops are allowed to ask questions. If the fake lady in the fake story is choosing to have 3 fake guns in her fake car and carry a fake permit for them, she should be willing to answer fake questions to a fake legal authority.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

I disagree. There is no law that requires her to answer those questions. He had no authority to ask those questions of her. He did have the authority to pull her over and ask for the license and registration of her vehicle and to give her a ticket if he so chose for speeding or whatever....as it pertained to driving.

I've been pulled over before for speeding and then asked where I was going, where I came from etc. I didn't say it, but felt like saying, "It's none of your business. If you are going to give me a ticket, go ahead and do so." If you want to answer a bunch of questions about your personal life, that's your choice, of course. But it is not required. And it is not required that the woman in the story answer questions about what kinds of guns she owns or whether they're in her possession.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Aesop's fables never claimed to be true. Making up a hypothetical story to prove a point is one thing, making up a story and calling it true is another.
How does that change the outcome or the discussion that we're having?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM
such sights to show you

Well just call me chattel, then. I don't have a problem with an officer asking me questions that makes him feel safer doing his job. That's how I would want to be treated. *shrug*

Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Kristen1980

Huh... I did'nt get it... Can someone explain?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen1980 View Post
Huh... I did'nt get it... Can someone explain?
Police are worse than Hitler.