Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Default Backpacks?

I had a GraniteGear (or maybe RuffWear?) pack a while back, but I can't seem to find it. I can only assume it's at my mothers' house. That's okay, because I really didn't like it anyway.

The one I had made a habit of sliding back or down, it was only secured in the front and under by plastic buckles. The straps were ridiculous long, and it was only a medium, but after 10 minutes or so I had to readjust because they came loose. The packs themselves were really unstable, not secure at all. And the whole thing was lined in fleece, so Zander overheated pretty quick. I think I paid around $40 for it, and it was really durable, but the fit and overall design was terrible.

So I'm looking for a new one! Price isn't a huge issue, but $100 or under would be nice. It'll just be a general pack for him to wear while walking and when we hit the trails this summer. Breathable would be nice, of course, and a somewhat secure and sleek design, so it isn't bouncing all over the place.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or any brands they really like/hate?

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Lord Cynical

What do you plan on having him carry?

I have Ruffwear Singletrak backpacks for my dogs, and I LOVE them - they don't hold a ton of stuff, but that's actually perfect for what I need.

Here's my review, with photos:
http://www.prairiedobecompanion.com/...ingletrak.html

Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

Just water, portable bowl, extra leash or whatever, nothing big or out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the suggestion, I really liked the review. I like the design too. I'm a bit cautious about the front strap part, but I couldn't see it causing it as much trouble as my old one, since this one looks like it goes down between the front legs.

Lyz and Zander

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

@SizzleDog I read your review and had a quick question. How long have you had it and has it held up? I've bought Yoshi a couple backpacks. One wasn't great quality the second seemed decent but there seemed to be a lot of wear just from basic use.

I do like how they sit on the dog.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Lord Cynical

I've had them for maybe 8-9 months. So far, so good... seems like ruffwear packs are made quite well.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

Have you had any issues with the straps coming loose? That was my major complaint on the last one, I always had to readjust it because the straps would slip through and come loose. A few reviews on this pack say the same thing.

Lyz and Zander

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Resident fainting goat

This one has the best reviews on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-00028-Wa...5407963&sr=1-1
No personal experience but I tend to trust amazon on most things lol

plus at $25.. you can't really beat the price lol
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Have you had any issues with the straps coming loose? That was my major complaint on the last one, I always had to readjust it because the straps would slip through and come loose. A few reviews on this pack say the same thing.
Nope, I've never had to redo the straps... but perhaps body shape has something to do with it.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie had the Approach Pack from Ruffwear and she ended up outgrowing it when her chest finally dropped, I had it for about 6 months and now a friend's dog has it and it's going strong, I used it for rollerblading with her and never had to adjust the pack positioning or any of the straps at all, it was always super comfy for her and she didn't mind wearing it at all.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug