Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Active Pup

Default Are there ANY breeds that match what I'm looking for?

Whether it's from a rescue, breeder, shelter or rehome, I'd like to have an idea of what dogs would match what I'm looking for.

I'm just looking for a companion. I'm not interested in agility, hunting, etc.

My criteria:

Size: Anywhere from 40 to 100 pounds. It has to be a medium/large dog.

Coat: The shorter and less maintenance, the better. I don't mind shedding, but I really don't like dealing with longer coats.

Exercise/Energy: Moderate. I'd like a breed that's fairly mellow indoors and doesn't need a job or 4 hours straight of exercise. They don't have to be lazy, just manageable energy as an adult.

I have no problem with puppy energy though.

Temperament/Personality: A cat like personality would kind of be nice. I don't want a dog that's super affectionate or needs to follow me everywhere and wants to climb all over me. If they're in the mood for a little cuddling or affection that's fine, but not all the time. I'd still like some goofiness though.

I don't want them to happily walk away with any stranger either, a little aloofness is good, but I still want them to warm up to strangers.

A breed that's alert. I'd like a good watch dog, mainly barking. I don't want them to go any further than that.

Living Conditions: A small/medium house with a medium sized yard. Weather would both be hot and cold, so they'd have to do well with both.

Other:

- It'd be nice if they could be trusted off leash, but I'm used to dealing with both our dogs who are a beagle mix and husky/hound mix. I'm used to all the hound issues and don't mind barking at all.

- Being easy to train would be nice, but I don't mind dealing with some stubbornness.

- Getting along well with other dogs and cats is something I'd like, small animals I don't mind so much, but other dogs and cats is almost a must.

- Sturdy/hardy built. I don't want to worry about them getting hurt/sick easily.

They don't have to match everything exactly, of course. I'd just like some ideas. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Let it be

To be that sounds like it has adult rehome all over it or a good rescue. Not a specific breed. Can you contact rescues in your area? Preferably ones that use foster homes so they know the dog?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM
*Now with Snark*

The right lurcher might be the ticket.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think a Lab might fit the bill. Yes, before they mature into sane adults their energy level is quite a bit, but as adults they are just fine. All of the Labs I've had (so...two LOL, and a Lab mix) were also not "ZOMG, I will be your best friend, TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU" to every person they met. At the house they would alert bark, then politely greet the visitor. In public they were happy to meet people, but just as happy to ignore them. Blackie (and Sadie) had a protective streak and if they saw someone/something suspicious around the house they would not tolerate it.

So the right Lab from the right breeder (or an adult rescue) would work, I think. Maybe a Chessie, but I tend to think of them as more energetic and less dog friendly - but they are also more reserved with people and much more protective. You'd have to make sure their energy level would be something you could handle, but I think they're worth a look.

ETA: I was also going to suggest a German Shepherd, but I really don't know what their energy level is like. Obviously a working line GSD wouldn't be what you'd want, and I'm not sure if there are really any "pet" lines out there breeding structurally sound dogs so...
A Shiloh Shepherd also came to mind, but they mainly come in plush coat, I think. I'm not sure if there are any smooth coated Shiloh's...but if you wouldn't mind the coat, I'd suggest looking in to them as well.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I think a Lab might fit the bill. Yes, before they mature into sane adults their energy level is quite a bit, but as adults they are just fine. All of the Labs I've had (so...two LOL, and a Lab mix) were also not "ZOMG, I will be your best friend, TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU" to every person they met. At the house they would alert bark, then politely greet the visitor. In public they were happy to meet people, but just as happy to ignore them. Blackie (and Sadie) had a protective streak and if they saw someone/something suspicious around the house they would not tolerate it.

So the right Lab from the right breeder (or an adult rescue) would work, I think. Maybe a Chessie, but I tend to think of them as more energetic and less dog friendly - but they are also more reserved with people and much more protective. You'd have to make sure their energy level would be something you could handle, but I think they're worth a look...
Funny, I was thinking Lab, too, until I got to the walking away with a stranger. My black Lab was one of the best watch dogs I've ever known. He wouldn't have gone off with a stranger, and I'm pretty sure Mick wouldn't have, either. Caleb, well, his philosphy is everyone is a friend, so, yeah, so I'm not so sure there.

While I'm not a big fan of them, a Chessie might be a good choice. From what I've read and heard from people who have them, they tend to be kind of a one person/family type breed.

GSDs- I'd be real careful there. Nothing against them, it's just that there are so many poorly bred ones out there with real questionable temperments. A good, healthy GSD, with a stable temperment can be hard to find.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Big Dog

My walker hound might not be a bad type for you. He's affectionate, but willing to go relax in his bed. He's got energy and wants a nice run, but isn't nuts or unwilling to settle. He's super smart, will bark at people coming in but is completely non-aggressive, and honestly is a really fun boy. Because of his past he's a bit shy of strangers, and certainly wouldn't walk off with one. The shelters are full of these guys and I'm amazed how nice he is. Also the other walker I fostered before him was very similar. He was from a better background, but also was sensible about strangers - not likely to just walk off with one, but not fearful either.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Behavior Nerd

Other than the alert barking and off leash, a greyhound might be a good fit. A Treeing Walker Coonhound might also be a good fit.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Twin 2.0

I was thinking a TWC myself.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]While I'm not a big fan of them, a Chessie might be a good choice. From what I've read and heard from people who have them, they tend to be kind of a one person/family type breed.
A Chessie could fit the bill, but I'm not sure I'd recommend a Chessie to a casual dog owner. Yes, they are more protective than the other sporting breeds but they can also be a challenge to train/live with.

It really sounds like an older rescue of any of the breeds mentioned that has been in foster care would be the best bet, that way you'd be getting a known temperament.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Taxiderpy

A rhodesian ridgeback could be a really good fit with pretty much all of your requirements.