Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Big Dog

Exclamation Struvite crystals- Rx diets?!

Addie is having a raging UTI, she's been on Clavamox for 14 days and the blood went away, but she still has an insane amount of crystals in her urine. The first culture and sensitivity we sent off showed enterococcus, the second one should be back in a couple days.

I'm afraid the next suggestion will be a prescription diet. Am I crazy to be seriously avoiding this? She's on Wellness Ocean Formula now and it really works for her (besides the antibiotics giving her major GI issues). She cannot tolerate chicken, and I don't want her on corn. Are the only bladder specific diets from company's like Hill's and Purina?
Oh, and she gets cranberry as well as probiotics and ACV..

And here's a pic of the little gremlin, just because!

Sorry it's so big
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

I took care of a dog a few years ago who had crystals in his urine. I seem to remember that not all crystals are caused by the same thing, so while a diet change may help one type, it won't necessarily help all types. That's why, of course, you have to know what kind of crystals your dog has.

I know with this dog we didn't put him on prescription food, but I don't remember specifically what we did do.

I'd recommend just chatting with your vet about what is it about the prescription food is better for a dog with crystals, and see if you can get that same benefit elsewhere. For example, maybe the prescription foods are better because they're lower in protein; so maybe you can find a Wellness variety that's also lower in protein and see if that works.

You could also talk to him about the long-term prognosis. If you HAVE to put him on prescription food, are you going to have to feed him that for the rest of his life? Cause for one thing, that could get really expensive. Let the vet know that you're concerned, and would like to wean him off the prescription as soon as you can.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

My aunts pom had both kinds of crystals (they were doubled up on top of each other) and her vet suggested Rx food. Her dog however would not touch it. She switched to raw and has been great since.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Behavior Nerd

There was a series of articles in Whole Dog Journal about crystals and how to treat them - I'd def check it out!

My girl, Ziva, has had issues with struvites. For us, switching her food to one with more moisture has been incredibly helpful. We feed Honest Kitchen, usually Thrive or Keen.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Sport Model Pug

Pug people seem to swear by Honest Kitchen for dogs with stones. They have an all fish formula too.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Big Dog

I'm glad to hear there are other options, I really don't want to go the Rx route.
I wish I had access to Whole Dog Journal
The sticky part is I work for the vet, and really like him- but he is not a fan of raw diets, so I just don't want to get into that because of a medical issue.. Idk I have issues with confrontation though hahah
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Pug people seem to swear by Honest Kitchen for dogs with stones. They have an all fish formula too.
Really!? Hmm, off to research!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

not sure if this was the one mentioned, assuming it is though

WHole Dog Journal

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_16215-1.html

whole article is good but this is relevant for sure

Quote:
2. Struvite crystals do not require a change in diet. Because struvite crystals do not pose a problem unless the dog has a urinary tract infection, there is no required treatment for crystals, including dietary changes. If the dog does have a urinary tract infection, a prescription dog food will not cure it.

If your veterinarian finds struvite crystals in the urine and suggests a diet change, you’d be well advised to find a new vet. You have to wonder how many other things he or she is misinformed about. It isn’t just a case of not keeping up with newer research; this recommendation is just plain wrong.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
orange iguanas.

I might be going off on a limb here - I know that for cats, you don't want to feed much fish because it can aggravate urinary tract issues. It's not going to CAUSE crystals/infections per se, but if the cat is already prone to such things, too much fish will only make it worse. Would I be crazy for thinking the same could be said for dogs? Maybe a different protein source would help?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

Oh and for UTI's I would try D-Mannose. Its the sugar from the cranberry that is the actual part that works to help stave off UTI's.