Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Top Dog

Do you have carbon monoxide detectors?? Maybe he's trying to warn you of something?

Other then that, his shaky/fear based behaviour sounds a lot like how my dog was after his first seizure.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 AM
<--------Orson

How's he doing this morning?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Top Dog

I'm late to this but I hope he's doing better this morning!!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Maybe he got bit by a spider or some sort of animal and it freaked him out. Or I don't know. I hope he feels better soon! That would kinda freak me out.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
How's he doing this morning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I'm late to this but I hope he's doing better this morning!!
He's a little better this morning. He's still a bit more quiet/aloof than usual, but he isn't shaking like a leaf and cowering around the house anymore. He was even willing to eat his breakfast at his usual place inside. I was still scared that he would refuse to come back in the house after I let him out to go potty, but he came right back to the door as usual. He was a little slow to actually enter the house, but still did when I called him. Right now he is trying to help Justin eat Cheerios, which seems to have lifted his spirits a little bit more.

He did refuse to sleep in our bedroom last night, but came upstairs easily when I went into the nursery to get Justin out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny82 View Post
Could the baby monitor be picking up a new signal? I know you said its been in your home since day one but maybe its catching an unfamiliar signal that is upsetting?

Would it be safe to turn the monitor off for a few minutes as a test to see if his response/behavior has a favorable change?

I wish I could be more helpful.

I hope Morgan feels better asap. Poor boy.
It's certainly possible that there is a new signal interfering with the monitor, but as things were happening last night I didn't know how to change the channel without accessing the base unit (which was in the sleeping baby's room).

We went to bed last night and Morgan kept trying to escape the bedroom, so we did turn off the handset. It didn't make any difference; he was still trying to paw his way out through the door. We ended up throwing an extra bed downstairs and just let him sleep alone all night. I felt so bad.

I suppose, though, that this does indicate that this actually does have something to do with the monitor. Because he was mostly okay (even if a little on edge) upstairs until my husband brought the monitor up to go to bed.

I am going to try changing the channel on it today and see if that makes a difference. While it's not a huge deal if the monitor has to be off overnight (the nursery is right across the hall from our bedroom), we really can't hear anything from downstairs during the day so we really do still need to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I would think something like mold wouldn't be a sudden change... more like something that happened over time...
Definitely peculiar, I agree that it's most likely that something has happened in the house and he's alarmed by it. You may never know what. Sometimes dogs get freaked by stuff we don't even notice. Maybe at the same time the baby monitor made noise he saw something that just looked different to him?

I hope he wakes up tomorrow and has forgotten the whole ordeal! Do you have any Benadryl on hand? I would be tempted to pop him one and see if it helps sedate him some...
He's actually already been on Benadryl for a few days (a week, maybe?) for his itchy allergies. Now I'm worried it's the Benadryl that made him crazy... so I skipped it this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
This may be a little far fetched, but could he have gotten stung by a bee or wasp that got into the house? This happened to a dog of mine a few years ago and he behaved like that for a couple of days afterwards. Not from an alergic reaction, but fear. Hope it's nothing serious.
I've checked him all over and didn't find anything amiss. I'm definitely going to see that the vet is also thorough. Of course, she always is, but I will mention it to her today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehold View Post
Stupid thought... maybe he saw a ghost? But more seriously, I hope you figure out what's bugging him. Good vibes headed your way.
I definitely felt like I was living in the movie Poltergeist last night. His behavior last night was really, really freaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Do you have carbon monoxide detectors?? Maybe he's trying to warn you of something?

Other then that, his shaky/fear based behaviour sounds a lot like how my dog was after his first seizure.
We do have carbon monoxide detectors, and they are working. I had that thought, too, in the midst of my other paranoias with his strange behavior.

And I really hope it wasn't a seizure. I kinda doubt it was, but I really can't rule out anything right now. I'm SO glad he has a vet appt. today!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakash View Post
Maybe he got bit by a spider or some sort of animal and it freaked him out. Or I don't know. I hope he feels better soon! That would kinda freak me out.
I haven't seen any mark on him to indicate that he was bitten, but like I said before, I'm definitely asking the vet to take a close look at him.

I'm just glad he's acting more normal than strange this morning. Something still isn't quite right, but honestly I don't know if it's just me worrying or if he is actually still weird. He's definitely not freaking out the way he was last night, though.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

I missed this thread before, but I'm sending vibes that the poor baby will be okay. It is sure a mystery, isn't it. Maybe the Benedryl is causing some kind of reaction. (?) Who knows? I hope the vet has some insight to offer.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I missed this thread before, but I'm sending vibes that the poor baby will be okay. It is sure a mystery, isn't it. Maybe the Benedryl is causing some kind of reaction. (?) Who knows? I hope the vet has some insight to offer.
At this point, my best guess is that he spontaneously decided that the monitor was a speaker from He!! or that the Benadryl made him loopy enough to come to that conclusion. He's never had adverse reactions to either in the past, but who knows what goes on in his head. Poor guy.

He is acting much more normal even since my last post. He even tried to get me to play in the upstairs hallway!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Wondering if the monitor could be putting out a high frequency pitch that is hurting his ears. How is he off the property all together? I am glad he is getting more back to his old self. Fingers crossed for a great report from the vet.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Wondering if the monitor could be putting out a high frequency pitch that is hurting his ears. How is he off the property all together? I am glad he is getting more back to his old self. Fingers crossed for a great report from the vet.
I wouldn't be surprised if the monitor makes some kind of noise that we humans can't hear, but we've had it in the house for nearly 10 months now without it causing any sort of crazy. I did change the channel on it, so I'm crossing my fingers that will cut back on the interference. I haven't used the monitor at all today because his behavior scared me so much. Instead I've just been staying close to Justin's room during naptimes.

Taking him out of the house was no big deal, until we got to the vet's office, of course. He's usually nervous at the vet, but today it was even more so... he was back to shaking uncontrollably. Our vet was wonderfully patient in working slowly with him, giving him time to calm down, etc. She checked him all over and didn't see anything weird. Well, we did find that he has a knick in his ear, but it was an old wound and well scabbed over. Probably left over from rough-housing with his dog-cousins a couple weeks ago. Anyway, it's not likely that it has anything to do with the sudden anxiety. (Though it does add to MY anxiety, because I have no idea how on Earth I could have missed an ear wound! I'm constantly looking at his ears because of his history of infections.)

She didn't really have any idea what could have triggered it, either, though gave me some pointers on what to watch out for as we try to solve the mystery. In the meantime, she recommended we keep giving him Benadryl (both because allergies are bad this season, and also because it should help keep him somewhat chill), and she did prescribe us a few doses of Xanax to give him if we notice him starting to have another meltdown. Hopefully we won't need to use it, but we'll see how he is the next few days.

Right now, Morgan is acting fairly normal, though maybe a little more timid than usual. He's eating normally, not trying to hide outside, not shaking/panting/drooling... but he's also not his normal bubbly self, either.