Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog Idols?

Being an agility-addict I have several handlers that I aspire to be like some day. I read/watch everything of their's that I can get my hands on, I attend every seminar within driving distance. My current idol is Silvia Trkman, I love her positive attitude to everything, I love how she adapts her training for each of her dogs, and I love how helpful she is even when you haven't paid for advice.

So, sport/working people, who is your idol in your respective sport?

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Not a sport, but I wish I had half the talent that Jay Sisler had when it came to training in general.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Slave to the Aussie

stacy peardot goudy

Just last week I was at a seminar with her. Awesome!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
stacy peardot goudy

Just last week I was at a seminar with her. Awesome!
Love.love.love her! Been to several seminars and plan on going to a few more this summer.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

Emily Larlham (Kikopup) She is just awesome. her dogs are awesome too and her training philosophies are so refreshing

Not to mention, oh god the patience to be positive only all the time. I WISH. I am really going to 100% try but I don't even know if I'm capable of never saying "no!" lol
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Love.love.love her! Been to several seminars and plan on going to a few more this summer.
Me too
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I don't have any at this point. I wander around enjoying information...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, training wise and handling wise, I'm not sure I really have one. There are so many people I admire, but I've yet to meet someone I look at and say "That is It".

However, there is a woman who attends a bunch of the same trials I go to. I won't say her name, since she isn't a "public figure", but she is without a doubt the most pleasant, positive, friendly person I've ever spent time around. She never gets upset with her dogs, she never appears frustrated, she always has a kind word for everyone. I watch it and think "this has got to be fake" but I believe it is fully genuine. I try to remind myself how much I admire that every time I want to be nasty or upset.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Emily Larlham (Kikopup) She is just awesome. her dogs are awesome too and her training philosophies are so refreshing

Not to mention, oh god the patience to be positive only all the time. I WISH. I am really going to 100% try but I don't even know if I'm capable of never saying "no!" lol
I really like her and her philosophy too. I am trying to be 100% positive and the more I work on it the better I get at it. Lately I rarely ever say anything negative to him and I am at the point where it definitely never happens in training. I can say that I have began to notice a definite difference in his attitude towards working with me in that he seems to enjoy it more, and I do believe he tries harder and provides a wider range of behaviours because he isn't worried I will react badly. At our trial this weekend, the judge who is apparently known as being 'harder' came up to me at the end of our run and said that it was obvious to her that my dog and I have a very close bond and work really well together. Having seen the differences now with Spy, I look forward to being able to start my next puppy off with these methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
However, there is a woman who attends a bunch of the same trials I go to. I won't say her name, since she isn't a "public figure", but she is without a doubt the most pleasant, positive, friendly person I've ever spent time around. She never gets upset with her dogs, she never appears frustrated, she always has a kind word for everyone. I watch it and think "this has got to be fake" but I believe it is fully genuine. I try to remind myself how much I admire that every time I want to be nasty or upset.
I wonder if this is the same person who I "idolize". (Initials are D.C.?)