Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Exclamation Would you stop using your microwave?

If you were convinced they do what these articles indicate, would you quit using your microwave altogether? I don't know if these studies are good or not. But it's kind of creepy to think about. Do you use a microwave or have you stopped using one? Have you never used one? I use mine quite a lot, but mostly for re-heating foods. I can't think of much that I cook from the beginning using a microwave. It's very convenient, cuts down on washing pots and pans etc, but these articles are kind of spooking me. Maybe I'll quit using mine. What do you think about this information? I just did a quick look but if you have something more current or better, please post it. I think it's worth looking into.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...e-hazards.aspx

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/...microwave.html
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Very rarely do I use my microwave to begin with, so I doubt it'd make a difference

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Just try me..

Those aren't studies. But they are very biased articles that in some cases mis represent studies...

However I tend to nuke only water. Steaming is best, but compared to boiling there is little difference.

ETA.. for example using BPA is bad in microwaves, but it is equally bad when storing food cold, or heating in general.. it has nothing to do with microwaves as the article would lead you to believe.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

We don't have one. The only time I miss having one is when I have leftovers, the microwave is the easiest way to reheat them.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
What do you think about this information?
I think that the pure, unadulterated joy of watching Peeps puff up to astronomical proportion before exploding into pastel-palleted clouds of sugary napalm balances out the inherent fear of jiggling my biophotons.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
I think that the pure, unadulterated joy of watching Peeps puff up to astronomical proportion before exploding into pastel-palleted clouds of sugary napalm balances out the inherent fear of jiggling my biophotons.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

I think I'll slow down with it's use because if it wrecks the nutrients in things, what's the point of trying to eat healthily? I guess it's not that big of a deal to re-heat things on the stove. At any rate, anything using high temperatures isn't all that great either for preserving nutrients. We've probably already got the deck stacked against us a little bit because the soil that vegetables and things grow in, in many areas has been depleted of a lot of essential minerals, such as selenium for one thing.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Well, it's the opinion of some pretty classy looking references. I mean....the food and drug administration? Don't you all value our government watch dogs?

Well, let's see if we can find some better information? I'll race ya. But first I have to go take the dogs for a walk.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
<--------Orson

I found it interesting where it talked about certain things being lost in food...........like broccoli for instance.

I own a tupperware microwave steamer and use it quite often to steam veggies, including broccoli. It makes me sad to know I could be destroying a big part of the reason I'm serving it in the first place

I don't think I'm getting rid of the microwave, but I am rethinking my use of it for our veggies..........steamed or otherwise. We'll still use it to heat soup and leftovers though.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Well, it's the opinion of some pretty classy looking references. I mean....the food and drug administration? Don't you all value our government watch dogs?

Well, let's see if we can find some better information? I'll race ya. But first I have to go take the dogs for a walk.
I don't trust studies that are funded by lobbists to show what they want to show. This is well known to be an issue. Also it is very common for articles to reference papers and get the take home message completely wrong I have often looked up these sorts of references and found that the paper in question actually refutes the article!

So while it would be interesting to go through the actual studies, based on these articles I really wouldn't be changing anything. These articles have enough obviously misleading information it makes me distrustful of the rest. Which is sad if they have validity.