Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Road Trip.. Do you plan or Wing it? Any tips for motel deals?

Anyone do the traditional old road trip?

We did family road trips for years when the kids were young, mostly through the White Mountains area, often traveling from NS to Maine, NH, Vernont, NY then Ontario and back... We never booked rooms and never had a problem!!

Last summer we did the exact same route on the motorcycles and it was a nightmare motel wise!! So many Mom and Pop motels were closed or run by people who no longer had the same ideas of cleanliness... One night we rode until near 1am and finally found a room for near $300!!!

So this year we are doing two trips, one for Friday 13th in Port Dover that will be a 4 day trip (Niagra Falls/ Port Dover/ Goderich ON & Wasaga Beach) and another 10 day trip to the Tail of the Dragon on the NC/TN border...

Finding and booking motels is frustrating, and it means determining how far between stops... And not getting off course which was half the fun!!! Thankfully for the longer trip we are at the same motel for several nights.. I knew it would be important to book that early because of being in high season for bikes..

So do any of you do old fashioned "Road trips"? Do you wing it or book it?

Crap wanted to have a poll... Hit finish too fast...

1) Wing it all the way!
2) Plan motels
3) Plan "every" detail
4) Book weekends, wing the rest...
5) Acadian Rappie Pie (Look it up)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Felurian

OH! You're going to be right in my neighborhood on the Dragon!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
OH! You're going to be right in my neighborhood on the Dragon!
Really? We are there 4 nights, staying in Maggie Valley!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Felurian

Yup. Very close! Maybe an hour and a half or less.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Yup. Very close! Maybe an hour and a half or less.
I am a bit nervous about it to be honest.. We are riding it on a Tue morning, when it's hopefully not as busy or overrun with speed demons.. I rode Mt Washington so I should be fine... Worried more about other idiots..
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Mutts to you

We generally plan ahead, mostly because we usually have a dog with us, so finding dog friendly motels beforehand is a must. On our annual trip to NC, we drive straight through (and plan to arrive at the beach within the 2 hr. window allotted by the rental agency to pick up the keys).

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
I am a bit nervous about it to be honest.. We are riding it on a Tue morning, when it's hopefully not as busy or overrun with speed demons.. I rode Mt Washington so I should be fine... Worried more about other idiots..
I knew a guy who drove it in a semi with a low trailer, lol.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

I've always planned ahead....at least for most of it. I've taken many road trips. I really like that kind of travel where you can see lots of things. If I hadn't planned most of them out, I think I would have wasted precious time waiting till the last minute for arranging things to see, places to go, where to stay etc. In some cases, motels or hotels aren't a worry, but depending on seasons or what not, that can be a problem if not planned ahead. I've always liked my AAA membership.That can be helpful, especially in case of emergency.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

wing it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
~Lisa~

When we went on our 3 week cross canada trip. We just winged most of it. We had plenty of time to. We stayed at friends houses, camped and slept in the truck. and one night in a hotel. Since we had Blaze. We figured we could still wing it by camping out/sleeping in the truck. we knew he could stay at friends houses with us (all have good dogs and are dog friendly).

If we do our Nova Scotia drive this summer, we will wing it mostly again. As we dont mind camping or sleeping int he truck, even now that we have 2 dogs. Its a adventure IMO

Fromt what i hear of port dover. id deffiently book your hotel for there now. My BF's parents go every year, and tell me its very busy.