Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Bite me.

Default Probiotics- what type?

I have a dog that will shortly be coming off a long (60 days) treatment of antibiotics for Lyme disease. I want to put her on Probiotics, but I hear so much conflicting info about what type is best...

Anyone care to share what THEY use, and why?

For the record- I use Animal Naturals Show Coat, which includes some, Obviously in powder form that is not refrigerated.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

My first choice would be fresh (or frozen) green tripe

Otherwise I usually use a good quality one that I have on hand for myself. There are plenty of good brands, I prefer refrigerated ones.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
My first choice would be fresh (or frozen) green tripe

Otherwise I usually use a good quality one that I have on hand for myself. There are plenty of good brands, I prefer refrigerated ones.
I cannot find, unless I ship it in, green tripe locally.

I have heard that the refrigerated ones are better. Can you tell me why, and what to look out for? Guess it would not hurt me, either lol. IBD is not fun.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Behavior Nerd

I give the dogs the same probiotics I take - Solaray in the past, currently Natures Made Primadophilis, have also used NOW (8 billion version). All are refrigerated.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

In the past I have used regular ones made for humans. I have tried Forti-flora in the past and was not impressed (and after reading the ingredients I will NOT be using it again, ever). I have something right now that I got for Gavroche since he was on cephalexin, but again not happy with it. The human ones are the ones I have had the best luck with. That being said, the dog ones I used did not need to be refrigerated, the human ones did.

Logan can't have probiotics, except for whatever's in Showstopper. He gets diarrhea from all the others. No idea why. It sucks because he really benefits from an enzyme/prebiotic supplement, but most of them have probiotics in them as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

Well, the probiotics are alive....so refrigerating keeps them fresher and more viable. There are plenty of shelved ones that may work and claim to be stable...but I dont know, doesnt really make sense to me. Short term sure, but not for long term storage.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Bite me.

Oh yeah- it's Showstopper not Show Coat lol. Thanks

So- a health store is going to be my best bet? I DID do the yoghurt from the store with LIVE cultures, but heard that was also not so good.

My vet (also my boss) has one available, but it is powdered, non-cold form. Not sure it is much better than Showstopper and it is SUPER expensive, even with my discount. Now, if it works the best, I don't mind paying...but I need to know it's the best, and I don't think this one is.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Well, the probiotics are alive....so refrigerating keeps them fresher and more viable. There are plenty of shelved ones that may work and claim to be stable...but I dont know, doesnt really make sense to me. Short term sure, but not for long term storage.
Thank you!

My favorite Joint supplement people make one now, but again, not refrigerated.

Quote:
Milled Flaxseed, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Furctooligosaccharides, Dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Whey, Natural Flavorings
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Sport Model Pug

I use Dr.Mercola's http://shop.mercola.com/checkout/shoppingcart.aspx

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I have tried Forti-flora in the past and was not impressed (and after reading the ingredients I will NOT be using it again, ever).
Glad to hear this. We use Forti-flora at work and I've never noticed any benefit from it. Thought it was just me.

I'm interested to hear about other options, I'll be following this thread.