Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

Default What would you do?

I work in a small clothing store in the city where I live. I work about 15 hours a week next to school, which is perfect for me because I still have enough time to study. I LOVE working there - most of the people I work with are pretty cool, and we really don't have much to do.
Our store is connected to a bunch of other small store in the city (Actually most of the smaller clothing stores are connected and belong to the same company (let’s call them X) )
Now, I don't earn a lot of money an hour (6€), but I really don't have much to do. I was promised a raise to 7,50€ an hour5 months ago - I haven't gotten one yet. That alone pisses me off, because I open up the store 2-3 times a week along with someone else, but I have the responsibility for the store, which means if money goes missing during that time, it's taken off of my pay check.
That alone would be enough reason to quit, but like I said I love what I do - and most of the small clothing stores are connected anyways, so that wouldn't change much.
Anyways, so last Wednesday, we get a call from our boss, that they caught someone working in another of their stores stealing. Now, at the end of each shift and before each break (and at the end of each break) the person in charge is to check everyone’s bags - an then let someone check their bag.
It’s also known, that they like to spy on us through our security cameras, just to check if we are doing our job. Here in Germany that is forbidden by law. It's never really been a problem though - and I haven't really cared until Friday. I had opened up that day - so I was on the first floor working. We have to keep our doors open no matter if its -20°C or 40°C outside - but at the same time we have to wear a t-shirt from the store. Anyways, so our doors were open - but it was FREEZING and raining and just generally disgusting outside, so we closed our doors, because it was FREEZING.
2 minutes later I get a call, asking why we closed our doors. I just told them that we were all freezing (there were 3 of us) and that it was raining in. So obviously that were spying on us (we didn't have any costumers at the time).
On top of it all, they like to call us up and tell us off on things that aren't true, or don't happen. They are just rude in general.

Now I really like my job. I like the people I work with and I like the girl in charge of our store. 3 people have quit already (last Friday to be exact), that are allowed to open up and are allowed to use the cash register. So now there's only 3 of us left that can man the cash register and are allowed to open up.
Would you quit? I feel horrible for wanting to quit, because like I said I really like the girl who's in charge of our store - but really it's getting out of hand. It's certainly not worth the money anymore.

(Sorry that was so long. You get a cookie if you read everything )

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Love my pets

I personally wouldn't want to work there under those conditions, but in the end the decision is up to you.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM
such sights to show you

Personally I would quit. It's nice to be concerned about your co workers, but at the same time emotional blackmail isn't a good basis for making decisions about your life.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

If you don't need the money desperately, I'd quit. 6E an hour is only 90E a week...not enough to get so upset over each week.

I'd go find a volunteer job in your chosen career field that will increase your resume's strength instead, if that's at all a possibility.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Mutts to you

I'd quit and be highly tempted to tell someone in the media about the spying. Most of the local news stations here have investigative reporters who love to air stories like this, especially if the other employees who quit can verify your story. Who knows? Maybe adverse publicity will make the parent company rethink their policies. It won't help you but it might help future employees.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Felurian

I would definitely leave if needing the money isn't an issue, now, before you get accused of something. And, if possible, get a letter of recommendation (not a promise of one in the future) from your immediate boss. Document everything that is going on so they can't easily tar you with being one of the thieves.

And really, if the spying is against the law there, I'd report it, maybe even file something against them, if for no other reason than to get it on record and cover my own ass. That's definitely creating a hostile work environment. I've had to work in a situation like that before, in a music store with a co-worker who was a thief and a dope dealer, but fortunately my boss knew what was going on and knew, even when the girl took $40 out of my register, that there was no way in hell I would ever have done it.

Cover your ass and get out would be my best advice.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

I think it's odd that it's illegal to use the cameras to make sure employees are doing their jobs. Why is that?

Anyway, if you are unhappy I would find another job.

Last edited by Samantha's pet; 04-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM
swimming upstream

I'd be inclined to leave--these kinds of situations eventually blow up, and you get caught in the cross fire.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

I don't NEED the money to live - but I do need the money to live comfortly. It's not to difficult to find a job, so I'll probably end up looking for a new job and then quit...
The situation is a time bomb - most of my co-workers are getting more and more annoyed by the situation - even my immidiat boss - who, by what I can tell will be gone with in the next few months.

Quote:
I think it's odd that it's illegal to use the cameras to make sure employees are doing their jobs. Why is that?
Basically, your right to privacy. Obviously your going to be on a security camera if you're working in a store - however they aren't allowed to use the security camera to monitor their employees - only to monitor costumers.
There was a huge scandel here a few years ago where some discounter chains spied on their employees and wrote down what individuals were doing during work (for example how often they used the restroom - and for how long, or how often they took a drink of water). Here the company you work for is not allowed to monitor such things - they cannot forbid you to drink (water) at work, they cannot forbid you to use the restroom - and you are entitled to an break if your shift is over 5 or 6 hours long. Like for example, if my shift is 7 hours I'm entitled to half an hour break - and if I work a 9 hour shift, I'm entitled to a 45 minute (lunch) break.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Are you dead yet?

I would quit, report them and find a new job. I wouldn't want to work in that kind of environment either, and if jobs are easy to find, I'm sure your coworkers can find new ones too if they are as unhappy as you are.