Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Do you have people do your yardwork for you?
No, doing my own yardwork gives me a feeling of pride 7 13.21%
No, it's easy enough for me to do on my own 19 35.85%
No, I don't want to spend the money, but I'd do it if I could afford it 9 16.98%
Yes, I pay people to do my yardwork because I HATE yardwork 2 3.77%
Yes, I pay people to do my yardwork because I'd rather not do it myself 4 7.55%
I have my children do my yardwork for me! 1 1.89%
Margaritas 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Well, living in the very rural desert, I don't have much of a yard, unless you like growing rocks.
The ground is so hard, and only the strongest and climate-oriented plants (mesquite trees, cottonwoods, acacia trees, various cacti, etc.) survive for long. My grandma in Tucson is able to have a beautiful rose garden, but out here, even though it's only an hour away, it's hell to make something like roses grow. My favorite plants are these little weeds that grow into nicely sized trees, lol. There's a Spanish word for the type of clay that makes up the dirt, but I can't remember.
Anyway, there's not much to do at all. Everything that wants to grow, I let it. Ironically my neighbor is a landscaper and he voluntarily pulls our weeds and trims our trees, and I need to tell him to knock it off- I like my weeds!
I wold love love love to have a lawn and a flower garden.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Kristen1980

We have someone come once a week to take care of the grass n pool.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
such sights to show you

No, I love doing it myself. However, the backyard is simply mulched (or now, when we haven't gotten our spring load of mulch yet, dirt) and the front yard is all perennial gardens, so very little mowing or that type of yard work.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

My mom and I switch off mowing...I would pay someone, though, if it were up to me. I absolutely hate it and find it pointless. My mom does most of the piddly stuff, weed whacking and trimming and flowers. Sometimes I go around the fence and cut off the vines that are trying to suck it down. I'm ready to get a few sheep and call it done .

I've actually picked Arizona as my future place of residence because I so hate yard work. Plus you know if I go outside I have to bring the dogs. And then Romeo starts spitting his ball at me and I can't ever get anything done and then he bites the lawn mower soo..yeah no yard work is better.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Ahhhh someone just finished cleaning up my yard for me! Now I can actually enjoy it for a few days until the dumb maple tree helicopters infest it all again.

He cleaned my gutters too

I should really go outside now.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM
<--------Orson

I voted I'd pay someone if we could afford it. Saving for all the college funds takes $ away from other places though *sigh*

Also, once in a while I do enjoy mowing, weeding, etc........I think it's more of the "have to" issue, you know, if you have to do something it sucks the joy right out of it! LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm All Ears

I do it myself.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

I've always been a gardener, as a hobby. I use to have a huge rose garden that I fussed over every couple days, disbudding, spraying, pruning etc. It had about 55 rose bushes and it extended for about 100 ft or so by about 10'. I was a lot younger then and I managed that, a huge lawn and other flower beds plus a vegetable garden with very little help from my husband. That was our first house. It got to be too much work, even though I liked it. I took a rose pruning/caring for class and I produced some amazing roses.

After a couple more houses with large yards, when I chose this house, I purposely chose a small yard, a really small yard that I could maintain more easily. So, although I enjoy growing a nice lawn and will make some more flower beds and incorporate a handful of vegetables in and among the flowers, I am not wanting to be a slave to the yard again like it became in past houses. Mowing is a very small job here. I've already fertilized twice this spring and limed it. That only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to put those things down. It's the easiest thing. If I see a weed, I just take an old screw driver and pry it out before it spreads and try to avoid having to use chemicals if possible.

I'm hoping the weeding and edging, once I get through with the landscaping design won't be too much. If it is, I'll hire my son to help me catch up with that.

So, basically, I like yard work if it isn't over whelming, I'm a pretty good gardener and understand about growing various types of plants and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I'm all finished for the day....even when it's only mowing the shaggy lawn. I stand back and say, "Whew...that looks nice." And it puts a smile on my face.

I can't wait to have a more interesting yard when it gets all designed and finished, trees, shrubs and flowers etc added. I am having someone do that heavy work of setting the thing up in the first place. There's a patio that needs to be installed, along with some other stuff.

I voted it gives me a feeling of pride to do it myself. I am not sure if "pride" is the right word...maybe. I'm thinking more of a sense of accomplishment. And I do find that I'm a tad competitive in that I hope to have the most lush, dark green lawn and brightest flower garden on my street.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

It's my dream someday when I have my own yard to plant buffalo grass so I never have to mow lol. Plus I aboslutely love buffalo grass. It grows naturally all over the place around here and I love its curly bison-y goodness.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

We do our own yard work. We have three acres and live way out in the country, so we don't really care about how the yard looks, TBH. We mow it when it gets too be annoying, but the dandelions are horrible. I actually enjoying mowing when the weather is nice - I mow in my bikini and get a nice tan. No weedwacking/pulling/etc.

Dad also has a 1/4 acre garden he is in charge of, and we have fruit trees in our orchard that he takes care of as well. When mom has time she works in the flowerbeds, but her time has really been lacking lately so they're sort of just growing how they please at the moment.

We do lease out our seven acre field so we don't have to mess with it...does that count as having someone do your yard work? LOL

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~