Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Do you have people do your yardwork for you?
No, doing my own yardwork gives me a feeling of pride 7 13.21%
No, it's easy enough for me to do on my own 19 35.85%
No, I don't want to spend the money, but I'd do it if I could afford it 9 16.98%
Yes, I pay people to do my yardwork because I HATE yardwork 2 3.77%
Yes, I pay people to do my yardwork because I'd rather not do it myself 4 7.55%
I have my children do my yardwork for me! 1 1.89%
Margaritas 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Taxiderpy

I loooove working outside. Doing yard work is my idea of any awesome day.

Probably my favorite is pruning fruit trees. Around here people often neglect them which makes me sad. I love being able to work with the same tree for a few years in a row and get it looking nice and producing really well.

That, and just plain weeding/gardening. It was something we'd spend the summer doing at my aunt's or grandma's house. Both were ultimate gardeners and it rubbed off I guess. lol

Lawn mowing is physically hard on me unless it's one of those power mowers. Those things are freaking awesome. Usually I wouldn't do that part though, because it was just me and kids all day and it was really unsafe to mow the lawn with children outside and I couldn't leave them unsupervised indoors.

Ideally, I'd have everything all landscaped with gardens/terraces that don't need mowing, with the exception of a kid play area and dog paddock. I've toyed with the idea of getting spring lambs to deal with mowing some day. You don't have to weedwack the fence lines then. lol
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaJD View Post
I see how it is, you sleep with someone to do it! lol

precisely lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Let it be

My landlord does all the yard work except dog poop pick up. I do both our dogs because mine is out there more, they are the same size and really I would not be able to tell whos is whos.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

Yesssssss! I hate yard work. I realized that it is so much better for me to just pay $300 and have someone rake up all the leaves than for me to spend 3 saturdays in a row doing nothing but raking leaves for 6 hours a day. My time is worth way more than that to me.

If we didn't both work full time, I'd have less motivation to pay, but seriously--I get zero joy out of getting dirty and sweaty and sneezing my head off from allergies, and I get a lot of joy out of having a free Saturday, so it's a no brainer!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yesssssss! I hate yard work. I realized that it is so much better for me to just pay $300 and have someone rake up all the leaves than for me to spend 3 saturdays in a row doing nothing but raking leaves for 6 hours a day. My time is worth way more than that to me.

If we didn't both work full time, I'd have less motivation to pay, but seriously--I get zero joy out of getting dirty and sweaty and sneezing my head off from allergies, and I get a lot of joy out of having a free Saturday, so it's a no brainer!
This is EXACTLY how I feel. Yard work makes me absolutely miserable.

The weather gets REALLY hot here in the late spring/summer/early fall months, so I'd have to wake up right as the sun is rising to do the yard work without overheating. That is not worth it to me at all. I'd rather pay to have people do it for me. They're faster and better at it, anyway.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

My Dad pays for our garden to be mowed, so yeah, technically, its paid for, just not by me.

My Photos
Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I voted margaritas because I do both. I do like working outside, and I love growing things. But I also pay someone because I'm out of town so much for SAR that my yard would get seriously overgrown if I didn't. So I maintain my fruit trees and whatever else I'm growing at the time, and I have someone else do the mowing and edging.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

Mowing the lawn doesn't bother me, because it's fairly effortless and only takes 30 minutes once a week. But the leaves, oh the leaves. And the weeding. And the pruning of bushes that have spider webs and bees in them. And trees that drop pollen on my head when I so much as look in their direction. UGHHHH, no thank you.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Mowing the lawn doesn't bother me, because it's fairly effortless and only takes 30 minutes once a week. But the leaves, oh the leaves. And the weeding. And the pruning of bushes that have spider webs and bees in them. And trees that drop pollen on my head when I so much as look in their direction. UGHHHH, no thank you.
We have 2 giant oak trees in the yard... so the leaves are TERRIBLE. The first year we raked them ourselves and then said we were never doing this again! We have a lot of bushes around our house and yep, like you said, the spider webs and bees are terrible.

And then the pest control, weed control, and fertilization is something I wouldn't want to do myself. I'd end up frying the yard or putting the stuff on unevenly. It's a LOT of work, and the company that does it for us has done an amazing job.

My allergies are terrible after working in the yard. After doing yardwork, all I want to do is fall asleep from all of the pollen!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Water Junkie

Everything is done by us. I enjoy being outside doing work, especially in the various garden beds we have around the house and in the yards.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l