Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilitydobemom View Post
There has been alot of disscusion on this forum as to how are breeders classified and what makes them what they are anyways I found a website yesterday explaining how breeders are classified

Hobby Breeder : A breed fancier who usually has only one breed but may have two follows a breeding plan in efforts to preserve and protect the breed they are raising produces from none to five litters per year breeds only when a litter will enchance the breed and breeding program raises the puppies with pleanty of enviromental and human contact has a contract that protects the breeder, dog, and buyer runs a small clean kennel screens breeding stock to eliminate heredity defects from the breed works with a breed club or kennel club to promote and protect the breed and cares that each and every puppy is placed in the best home possible

Back Yard Breeder (BYB) : Dog owner whos pet either gets bred by accident or who breeds on purpose for a variety of reasons usually ingnorant of the breed standard, genetics, behavior, and good health practices byb's can easily become a commercial breeder or a puppymill

Commercial Breeder : Usually has several breeds of dogs with profit as a primary motive dogs may be healty or not and kennel may be clean or not dogs probably not selected for resembalance to the breed standard or for good temperment most sell to pet shops or brokers who sell to pet stores

Brooker : Buys puppies from a commercial kennel and sells to retail outlets ship pups by the crate load on arilines or by truckload throughout the country must be licensed by USDA and must abide by the shipping regulations in the animal welfare act even though they are required to be licensed some are not and that is against the law

Bunchers : Collect dogs of unknown origin for sale to labratories or other buncers considered much lower on the evolutinary scale because of much suspiscion that they buy stolen pets, collect "free" pets, and adopt unwanted pets from animal shelters for research at veternarian colleges and industrial research labs

Puppymill (pm) : Breeder who produces pups hand over fist with no breeding program little attention to puppy placement and poor health and socillization practices may or may not be dirty but is usually overcrowded and dogs may be neglected or abused because the breeder can't properly handle the amount of dogs they have often put down hobby breeders to make a sale

This website would be helpful to prospective puppy owners in deciding who they should buy their puppy from and how to tell who they are buying there pup from I am also going to list the website it would be great to check it out and it has some great information on buying from petstores and why it is not a good idea

Dog Owner's Guide: What is a Puppy Mill?
Very intresting classification and very useful site! Thanks a lot!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't plan on buying a puppy, I see so many puppies just being given away that I worry about what will happen to them, so when we're ready for a puppy i am going to take one of the "free" ones so I know at least one will be safe and fixed. I could imagine that any puppy who is paid for has more worth to the average crap owner then one who just came free. They get the free puppy because it's just so cute and it's free! then realise a puppy grows, pees, chews, and actually costs them money then don't want it anymore. It's sad :-(
Old 01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhayNette View Post
I don't plan on buying a puppy, I see so many puppies just being given away that I worry about what will happen to them, so when we're ready for a puppy i am going to take one of the "free" ones so I know at least one will be safe and fixed. I could imagine that any puppy who is paid for has more worth to the average crap owner then one who just came free. They get the free puppy because it's just so cute and it's free! then realise a puppy grows, pees, chews, and actually costs them money then don't want it anymore. It's sad :-(
Yes, but even by taking a "free" puppy you are supporting the breeder.... the puppy is no longer his problem. So if you do take a free puppy, make sure the breeder is someone you don't mind supporting.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Just try me..

Many resesearch projects don't use pet store mice or rats, they use specially bred mice and rats. Same for research projects that use dogs. Lab beagles. Resources for Beagle Lovers Not saying its ethical or no.. but they aren't stolen pets etc. They are carefully bred with known factors (like the mice)
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Yes, but even by taking a "free" puppy you are supporting the breeder.... the puppy is no longer his problem. So if you do take a free puppy, make sure the breeder is someone you don't mind supporting.
hm I never thought of it that way. I suppose their motives are what one would have to think about. An accidental litter I wouldn't mind helping them out by giving a puppy a good home, but if they are doing it regularily I that would be a problem. Thanks for giving me that to think about.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhayNette View Post
hm I never thought of it that way. I suppose their motives are what one would have to think about. An accidental litter I wouldn't mind helping them out by giving a puppy a good home, but if they are doing it regularily I that would be a problem. Thanks for giving me that to think about.
And if it were an accidental litter, I'd have to see proof that they are getting their dogs spayed and neutered, to prevent this from happening in the future, before I take a dog from them.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Active Pup

Lightbulb Ask questions, check out the living quarters.

There are several things to consider when choosing a breeder. You can get the answers by asking a lot of questions. A good, quality breeder will know all about the breed and can answer any questions you might have. Ask to see where the puppies are living. Ask to meet the puppy's parents. A good breeder should be happy to let you see for yourself that your puppy is being housed in a hygienic environment and that the parents are healthy.

If the breeder seems not to know the answers, get suspicious. If the breeder refuses to let you see the parents and living quarters, go elsewhere.

Expect the breeder to ask you some questions as well. A breeder should care about the destination of the puppies. He or she will want answers about your home, other pets, how you will care for and raise the puppy, your previous experience with dogs and with this breed in particular.

If the breeder is not satisfied with your answers, you can expect to be denied the adoption.

These are just some of the key areas to consider when choosing a breeder.

Unqualified, uncaring breeders who are in it just for the money will be anxious to make the sale. They will tell you what they think you want to know, rather than the truth.

The biggest key is that a respectable, qualified breeder will actually care about you, your home, and the life you plan for the puppy he or she bred so well.

Sylvia
Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 AM
and Spy.

I think it is also worth mentioning that a lot of BYB's AREN'T in it for the money. Lots of times they are actually nice people who just don't understand and are ignorant of the homeless dog situation, of dog ethics, general dog info, etc. They mean well and are nice people, just completely ignorant about breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Active Pup

I am very impress this site. SQL server is very nice, so thanks for this post. Very impressed with the knowledge you are posting here. I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Last edited by Renee750il; 09-15-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weivenus2012 View Post
I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.
That's pretty obvious!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep