Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Island dweller

AkashaO I've never found a dog forum that was like that. The small pet forum I go to is great. Lots of great advice and friendly people. We all know eachother. I just got the Cheers theme song in my head.

enough said
Old 01-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Pap Pup

Saje,

I look forward to meeting more interesting and friendly people in the small dog forum. I have made many new friends on this site and I know that I will have the enjoyment of making new friends along the way.

I think that the original topic of this discussion was missed, as Serena proves in her last reply (#17). Again, I never implied that mixes were sounder than purebreds! And, I surely never stated anything about the purposeful breeding of mixes for the "cutesy designer mutts". I was just speaking about the many mix breed dogs which I have owned or had the privilege of knowing.

I am so tired of this ranting. I will put Mr. Padgett's book on my list of must reads. I will get to that after I complete "Lucile" by Owen Meredith (copyright 1883). Serena, you might want to get a copy for yourself, if you can find one.

I have nothing but respect and good wishes for ALL!

I look forward to chatting with you more in the future Saje.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Island dweller

Serena, very few people know how to linebreed or inbreed. There are so few good breeders and among those even fewer people that know enough about genetics to linebreed or inbreed and even when it is done it's not 100% accurate. I don't think it's a great tool to use in breeding (word play!) to the best of my knowledge the results are negative far more often then positive.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Felurian

Line breeding is used by some of the very elite Fila breeders. The breed was almost lost in its native environs and so many of the dogs were in such weak health that it was difficult to find the dogs needed to save the breed in its proper configuration, temperament and working instincts. And now many of the Brazilian breeders are crossing in other breeds, like the Bull Mastiff, to soften the temperament and even to increase production (the Northern hemisphere doesn't have the market cornered on BYBs unfortunately).

I don't know enough to line breed, so I'll be staying away from that technique and leave it to the Masters.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 01-12-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Pap Pup

Last night a friend (who happens to be a breeder) called me. We were laughing about how fired up people can get over others who have conflicting beliefs or values. She happens to share some of my beliefs but she also has strong feelings about breeding practices in the purebred lines. She educated me (in a very smart, funny and to-the-point way) about some of the underlying misconceptions I had about mixes. But, she also agreed and understood that there are many specific mix types that do have a lot of "benefit" in structure and temperament. She was also very sad in explaining how the many popular purebred dogs are suffering from the "pedigree" breeders who care more about paper lines than true genetic links.

She had me check out www.canine-genetics.com for more information on breeding and genetics. It was very informative. I am so thankful that there are people out there who are mature enough to understand the difference between educating an open mind and hard handedly screaming at a deaf heart. Then, she is an awesome person.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Felurian

Thanks for the link Akasha (you and I really MUST discuss books one day) . I've bookmarked it to read when I can do so without guilt for not doing something else I'm supposed to be doing! I have a feeling it will be very useful in the future when it's time for Fila puppies.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Pap Pup

Renee,

I hope that you enjoy the read. Anytime you would like to discuss view on any topic, just touch base with me.

By the way, your fila baby is beautiful! I had a friend who owned a beautiful Neopolitan Mastiff who was a doll!

Chat with you later!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Agilitydobemom: I hope EVERY SINGE PERSON on theis site reads that. I couldn't have said it better myself. That is why so many dogs/puppies are euthanized every year. Thank you for posting that!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Playful Husky Pup

agree's i get so many mixed emotions from people when they find out that I am a breeder. The usually go with the whole why would you breed when theres so many dogs in the shelters? So then i go inot the whole speal saying how 6 of my dogs were in fact rescues from dog shelters and that I usually onely breed one or two bitches a year for the plane fact that it costs ALOT of money to breed responsibly. I also only breed if the ***** and dog are in perfect health and have the perfect temporment if not then their spayed or neutered and become just pets who pulls sleds.

I just hate that there are so many "backyard" and "commercial" breeders out there who yes breed only for the profit and nothing else. I get labeled because of them and its pretty ridiculas that they have ruined it for the true reputable breeders out there who breed to better the breed. It just makes me so mad sometimes

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I love mixed breeds! All the dogs I have ever owned were mixed and they were all wonderful dogs. I don't think that they are any more unhealthy or unpredictable than a purebreed dog. I love mixed breeds and I don't think I would take my dogs any other way