Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Rhinoplasty (nose job) anyone?

I am going in for a consultation tomorrow.. the surgery is a gift (so no. I am not actually spending money on this.. so no worries. I can think of 1000 more interesting ways to spend money lol)

I'm not sure if I am going to go through with it, but I figure I'll go in and ask some questions. they are going to take some pictures and show me what I'll look like with some changes

I have never really hated my nose but I've never really loved it either. Now that I really look it the tip is kind of weird and fleshy I guess.. I dunno

Anyway, if you've been through it..advice?

The doctor is world renowned and has a great reputation for this, so I'm not too worried about that, I just I'm kind of nervous I guess lol I dunno

Last edited by Fran101; 04-19-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Wild At Heart

Omg, I'd never be able to do it! I'm absolutely terrified of even break my nose, I can't imagine having voluntary surgery on it. lol

Good luck with the consultation though

Harleigh <3
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

I'm no help, but wondering whether or not this is a myth - my younger sister has been looking into nose jobs for a while now (a year or two?) and she says that a surgically altered nose is easily damaged. Not just immediately following surgery, but rather from that point onwards. Apparently you aren't even allowed to smoosh it down (ie: when you're pressing your face against a window, etc.). Not sure, though, because she gets her information from people in Korea, where she hopes to get hers done if she ever does.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Personally unless it was something I really wanted, then I would not do it. If it was a case of something that really bothered me and I felt that getting the surgery would really improve my self image, then I would consider it. But if it wasn't something I felt that strongly about then I would definitely not go in for plastic surgery. Why would I go through the pain and recovery for something that doesn't really matter to me?

I kinda don't like my nose. It's pretty big and bulbous, but I dont think that's enough reason to get a nose job.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

My mom got hers done as a b day gift for her sixteenth bday. Her nose was bad though! I wanted mine done for years and am so glad I didnt do it because I suddenly loved my nose all of a sudden. It's what makes me look like my dad a bit(strange I know).

Bf had his done to but that was after a bad reconstruction and it's still goofy.

If you want it get it done. But if it's not something you really wan it's a lot of pain and a chance you won't even like it.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

I had one at 22! Whatcha wanna know?

I had my nose broken on 4 separate occasions due to soccer-inflicted injuries. I also had a genetically-given deviated septum. I couldn't even remember being able to breathe out of both sides of my nose. I could only breathe out the right side, and that was quesitionable. lol

I had an ENT, who specializes in cranial-facial surgeries, do my rhinoplasty. People thought I was nuts, but I went with him because he was the only doctor who told me he could get a "B to B+ nose" (my nose was given a solid "F" on their grading scale). The other 3 docs, 2 ENTs and 1 highly-recommended plastic surgeon, all bragged about how I was going to have an A+ nose after the surgery. So I picked the realistic one that lives in reality.

The surgery went well. My nose was straight, the trademarked family hump at the top was gone, the tip was straight again (that was the hardpart...I had so much damaged cartilage from all the breaks, he could only do so much and shave down so much without actually doing damage), and I personally think I have a cute nose. I have before and after pics around here somewhere. I may have to go pick up some copies because I'd like to see the changes again.

I had the infamous packing for I don't remember how long. Maybe 2 days? I did have a teeny bit of bleeding, but hardly anything. I just HATED the packing. I had a panic attack at one point because I felt like I was suffocating. Btw, your throat gets sore as a mofo.

The absolute worst part of the whole process is having 800 yards of cotton packing pulled out your sinuses via your nostrils. Ok, so maybe not 800, but it sure as heck felt like it! It burned and hurt so bad that I saw white spots. It's the first time I ever passed out (it was brief...I was only out for a few seconds), I have a very high pain tolerance.

The splint/bandages stayed on for another 10 days or so. My nose was sore, but I don't even remember taking pain pills other than the first 2 days (I don't think I did take any more after that). I had some pretty bad bruising under my eyes, and especially on my left side of my face, but I had a plate put in my cheekbone in the same surgery, so that's probably why (yet another soccer injury).

I was in a wedding 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery, and although I still had swelling, everyone just loved it. In fact, I had more people tell me, "You look great! Is something different? Ummm, did you get a new haircut or something?". Of course, that's what my doctor said you wanted after a surgery like this. You want people to notice something is different, but you don't necessarily want them to know exactly what the difference is.

I had minor swelling for at least 4 months, but that was mainly swelling I noticed but no one else did.

Sadly, I've broken my nose since then, and although no one can tell, I can. It's ever-so-slightly crooked again. Unfortunately, my doc said the best thing would be to leave it. If he went in again, chances are my fragile cartilage (from the major first surgery) would warrant some reconstruction, and I sure as heck didn't want to go down Michael Jackson's path.

But I can breathe out of both sides of my nose. And at the same time! It's still awesome!

Oh, and my insurance footed the $9,700 bill for mine.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm All Ears

My dad has his done because it was broken badly as a kid (baseball bat to the face) and it was not only very crooked but he was having trouble breathing b/c of a deviated septum. He looks much better with a straighter nose (it was done before I was born).
Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

you are SOOOOO GORGEOUS (if i was 20 years younger & singler, i would have faked a personality & tried to talk you into dating me). if it's not medically necessary i hope you don't do it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Personally unless it was something I really wanted, then I would not do it.
That's what I think, too. If you want it because YOU really really want it, then fine. But if someone said "Your nose is ugly, here, get it fixed" and you don't feel that strongly about your nose, then I wouldn't do it. It's not just the money, it's the pain and recovery time and all that good stuff too.

I don't think I'll ever have an elective procedure because I'm afraid I'd die under anesthesia. Unless it's life or death, I'll opt out.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Why put your body through MAJOR surgery to change sonmething you "have never really hated"?

It's personal choice and I am not against people doing what they want to their own body, but seems a bit pointless to me if you weren't unhappy...

eta.. I think if someone gave me a gift of surgery.for a.body part I didn't even hate, I'd be a bit upset too lol.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein