Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

I enjoy salads as a snack, but I can't take them seriously as a meal. And salads with meat in them is gross to me. Hot chicken/cold veggies and dressing creep me out majorly. I also can't stand cold PB. Or cold syrup on hot pancakes. Nope. Instant hurl.

But I do like getting creative with salads. I typically just pick up whatever looks decent in the produce section what whatever is in season. I'll eat iceberg lettuce plain...LOL. But my base in salads is usually spinach. Veggies are all over the place, just whatever looks good. My stable side is usually cottage cheese and a pickle.

Dressing....I used to love Italian. Used to really, really, LOVE the Toasted Asian Sesame one. And I found a great Olive Oil, Basil, and Feta Cheese one that's great too. But now I don't do dressing anymore. I can't find one that is Primal friendly(they all have soybean oil), so I make my own with some spices, olive oil and some type of vinegar.

I also like potato salad, tuna salad, fruit salad....just about most types of salad, as long as their texture is consistent. No hot/cold or heavy/light combos. No. Never.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

I love most salads. Some of my favourites are baby spinach, strawberries, blue berries and tomatoes with a balsamic vinaigrette. Romaine lettuce with cucumber, tomatoes, feta and chicken breast with a dijon/white wine vinegar dressing, or greek dressing. Chickpeas with celery, cheese and greek dressing is yummy too.

In the summer, one of my favourite salads is cubed watermelon, feta cheese with fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I loooove salad. Lite Caesar dressing on bagged lettuce, cherry tomato, cucumber, and carrot. <3

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
APBT crazy!

Caesar salad is my favorite! I don't do anything special to it, lol. I usually get it at resturaunts. I love raw spinach leaves in salad, too. I prefer that over iceberg lettuce. A nice garden salad is good, too. I like to put sunflower seeds in salads sometimes, too.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Mine are rarely the same way twice, lol.

One rule: NO ICEBERG LETTUCE.
I totally agree with this!

Other than that I love salads...I enjoy adding nuts to mine. Like toasted almonds, spinach, dried cranberries, goat cheese crumbles with a nice raspberry vinagerette *Yum*.

There is so many things and variations you can try...no salad has to be the same twice

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Yep, if you have lots of choices for ingredients, salads don't have to be exactly the same. I also like mixing veggies, something tart...balsamic vinegar say, something a little sharp, like onions... and then adding a cut up apple or some berries... something else on the sweet side. Some feta or crumbled blue cheese is really yummy too.

Some of your ideas remind me of things. Some great sounding combos.

How about a Waldorf salad? I forget to make these things. That's a good one too!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
~Lisa~

i love salads. mine are never fancy lol lettuce (normally a spring mix type. no iceberg blag) carrots, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, green and red peppers and chicken. with some type of vinigerette normally roasted red pepper. i hate thosy creamy kinds of dressing, unless its ceaser on a ceaser salad.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
If it has lettuce in it, yes.
I also don't like "pasta salad" or "chicken salad" or even "potato salad" because I generally don't enjoy cold foods, and there's also a texture issue involved with a lot of 'em. My mom makes chicken salad and just the smell of it makes me nauseous.

So... yup... I do believe I hate every kind of salad!
Ugh, this is me. I can't stand ANY kind of salad. I'm a texture person all the way though. I won't even raw veggies, only cooked or mushy (like in soup, or mixed with roast beef, or something of the sorts).

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

Oh I love salad. Probably my favorite is a dinner salad that I make, with pecan crusted chicken sliced over baby greens and baby spinach. I add finely chopped red onion, shallots, feta cheese, olives of any kind if I have them, cherry or grape tomatoes, and a light honey mustard vinaigrette. It's so good, really filling and even people who usually don't like salad seem to like this.

Eating low-carb, I find that any protein that I used to enjoy on a sandwich, i can also enjoy on a salad! If I used to eat a lunch meat sandwich, now I just make a chef salad! Less than 20 carbs for a big salad and with an oil/vinegar dressing, they're very low in calories too.

Waldorf salads are DELICIOUS! I also really like a fresh salad with a yogurt-based dressing because I'm not a big fan of mayonnaise. I use a base of crispy lettuce (my mom uses iceberg but I use romaine hearts), apple chunks, walnuts and either sweet baby carrots or celery. This is actually a breakfast I really liked before I had to cut back on it due to the carb content.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

I hate salad, and don't eat any salad item! Yuck. Infact, I don't even like most veggies. I like raw carrots, and sweetcorn. That's it!

My Photos