Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Big Dog

Default Emotional Problems?

Hi, everyone! I have a little situation with Chili, and I'm not sure what to think of it! She's a nervous little dog much of the time, especially when my husband and I both can't be in her sight. Last week was particularly busy for both my husband and I, and I can't say that we were able to spend as much time with her as we wanted. However, we've had weeks like that in the past and Chili has handled them well. Since this Friday, we can't both leave her sight without her barking and howling like crazy. When we are all downstairs together, she kind of gets a "snooty" attitude with us if we are just sitting and relaxing. She wants us to play with her...no lying around or sitting on our laps or anything like that. She's been very needy, but the main problem is that she has woken me up the past two nights at almost exactly the same time barking and howling. The first night, I took her downstairs to calm her down, and all she wanted to do was play. The second night I decided that it would be a good idea to just let her "cry it out" and she finally stopped after almost an hour. What could be causing this abrupt change in her? I feel like we are letting her down somehow, but I don't know what to do about it! Nothing has changed with our routine, other than we bought her Christmas presents and let her see them before we wrapped them up for her and put them under the tree. We've gotten back to a less hectic routine, and we are spending as much time with her as we ever have. Anyone have any suggestions, insights, information...I would really appreciate them! I hate seeing (and hearing) Chili so distressed!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Felurian

Has Chili been spayed?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Big Dog

No, we're getting her spayed on the 21st of this month, actually.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Top Dog

Maybe after her pay she may act less needy.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Felurian

She may be starting her first heat. They get PMS just like we do; needy, moody, sometimes aggressive or bossy, they don't know what they want - just that whatever it is, they don't have it . . . and, since they're dogs, you can't give them chocolate!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Corgi bum

Oh no!!! PMS and no chocolate!?!?!?!? How will she make it through?LOL
Old 12-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Hey..at least you don't have a cat going through heat..OH GAWD! :O
Old 12-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
She may be starting her first heat. They get PMS just like we do; needy, moody, sometimes aggressive or bossy, they don't know what they want - just that whatever it is, they don't have it . . . and, since they're dogs, you can't give them chocolate!
I was just about to say that ! LOL my dog got VERY needy and whiney when in heat at 6 months old. You should call your vet, because my vet would not perform a spaying (???) while my dog was in heat. I had to wait and make a later appointment.

Things to look for are excessive licking themselves (well, not excessive, but they will try to keep themselves clean) and any blood spotting.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Big Dog

She does get that way when she goes into heat, but since she went into heat back in mid-October I haven't really been expecting her to do it again this soon. I hope she's not because I really want to get her spayed soon! I'll just keep an eye on her for those "telltale" signs!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Felurian

LOL! Pitbulliest - I've never had a cat go through it, but how about a Fila? Whining, crying, pacing, up in the middle of the night, wanting attention 28-9 (way more than 24-7!), climbing in my lap . . . and then, two months later, the second one starts! Oh, and they time theirs with mine . . . you know how it is when you have a bunch of females living together . . .

At some point, chocolate ceases to work and wine becomes the only logical answer. Or chocolate and Spumante!

I don't know who's crazier at this point, me or Bimmer!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian