Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Lab pooped in bathtub

Ok, I'm new here and haven't had a chance to do the intro (I will!). I have rescued a yellow lab from death from the Humane Society in my home town. He'd been taken off the adoption floor due to "stress" and me, being in rescue, knew he could be a good dog if taken out of that stressful situation. He was due to be put down on a Friday, I got him out the Thursday night before. Long story short, I was trying to get him on schedule with gradually changing his food over to what my Golden was eating. Maybe I did it too fast, or maybe it was a reaction to a raw egg I gave him in his food. He sleeps on my bed with me (as does my Golden) and is always there when I wake up. I woke up and he was nowhere to be found... until I started calling his name and he comes crawling out on his belly on the floor from under my bed! I thought, what is up with that?! Anywho, I put them out to go pot-pot as is our normal routine. And let them back in when I'm getting ready to get into the shower. I went into the bathroom to start the process and knew he was standing on the other side of the closed bathroom door. I opened it to see what he was doing and he started cowering. I love on him and tell him he's ok and shut the door to begin my showering routine. When I pulled the shower curtains open, I was SHOCKED! There was what looked like 6-8 cans of pumpkin pie filling filling the tub!! He had MAJOR problems during the night and didn't know what to do and chose the bathtub to go in! Is that WILD or WHAT?! I've never posted on a dog forum before and would love your input! He was picked up as a stray but must have some real smarts!? I was so happy he deciphered that the tub would be the best place?! He knew Mommy "went" in there (not the tub!)... who knows??? Any input on something like this? BTW... he's the BEST dog... he's found his forever home with me :-)
Amy
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Thank you, Serena! I'm glad to have found this site! Don't get me wrong... I LOVED on him and LOVED on him for choosing the bathtub! I thought that was so totally smart and wanted him to know that. He even had to move the curtains to the side to get in because it appeared totally undisturbed when I found the mess! And to top it off, my boyfriend (at the time) who didn't even live here... when I told him about this AMAZING thing he did, acted like I should be mad at him!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

No, Serena, you don't understand. I am SO GLAD he went in the bathtub. To me, that shows how smart he is that he HAD TO GO and knew where was the best place. He's NEVER messed in my house and I have an 8-5 job (which really means 7:30am to 5:30 pm that he has to hold it). He's never had an episode since this. He had a diahrhea problem and he dealt with it how he saw best. I hadn't had him for very long and he still knew how to best deal with it. I think he must be very smart by doing this???? That's why I posted what happened. What do you think?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Alpha Dog

Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums Amy!
What a funny story!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Felurian

Welcome, welcome! What a funny story! And what a bright dog! That took real reasoning thought. Hopefully, his diet will begin to agree with him and he won't have any more big problems he has to solve on his own. And you can always use Clorox in the shower. I think you used your heart and picked a real winner. Sometimes you just "know."

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Love my pets

I loved your story! I only wish my Max had chosen the bathtub when he was younger. He decided to go all over my living room; what a mess to clean up! I commend you for rescuing him and giving him a loving home.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Are you dead yet?

LOL that just cracks me up.. He knew, all right.

But, I'm with Serena on this one.. I would stop praising him for going in the bathtub, and start working on teaching him to come and LET YOU KNOW if he has to go to the bathroom, so you can let him outside.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:22 PM
3 Big Dogs

Default Shower Poop

Funny how some dogs just know... funny story and glad you could see the humor in it too. One of our dogs is the same way. He knows when he has done wrong, but maybe it couldn't be helped, like knocking something down with his tail and he will lay low. Glad he found such a nice home!!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Big Dog

Oh my goodness! I just about fell off my chair!!! How wonderful of you to have saved this fabulous dog's life, and to have seen the potential in him! once in a while, Jersey will have a poo in their room over night and she always covers it with a blanket. But first thing in the morning , she'll stay by that blanket until I pick it up, like, "I done a bad...It's under there" That's why they always have at least one extra blankie...If Jersey makes a stinky, Serene won't share hers! I guess sometimes, when you gotta go, you gotta go!! Your guy's just smart enough to look for a good location!!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Active Pup

On the flip side of the coin. Our husky-shep mix is also very smart, and uses reasoning. As a way of showing anger for being left home, especially if we take another dog for a ride, even though it may be to the vet She is likely to poop in the middle of our bed I know it is anger because the times she has had accidents she trys to get out and it will be by the door Awful hard to punish when it is unknown how long ago the deed was done! If we lock her out of the room she does not look for another way to show us her anger. I ruled out scent attraction as it has been on different mattresses even old style full motion waterbeds! being the oldest dog at the time I took her in I never had the same oppurtunity to train her the way I prefer but all dogs need a home. She is now granny old and has not done this in many years. Brent