Kelpie vs Koolie vs BC vs English Shepherd??

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Anybody else following this thread but have nothing to add because they own neither of these breeds so just creeping in out of it of this thread like this?

I don't feel like that in this thread but quite often yes....I kinda wish I could somehow just pull that out in RL when it happens :D

So I spent my morning bopping around different places putting together some comparisons.

Ok first off, this was on the Koolie Club of Australia's website

Koolie vs Kelpie - they are so different.
  • The Koolie is so devoted to their owners that they tend to always look for that thank you.
  • Their natures are much more sensitive than the Kelpie.
  • The Koolie doesn’t have as much eye as a Kelpie but what they lack in eye they make up for in strength.
  • The Koolie even if he is calm likes to get the job done quickly, in my opinion they lack patience at times so they need to be steadied down.
  • My Kelpie isn’t strong eyed but has enough to get the job done.
  • Both my Koolie and Kelpie are very good at reading stock.
  • They both have a walk up, Demi (Kelpie) is more natural.
  • (But she has me already as a trained handler Chance (Koolie) had to suffer my ignorance). .
  • Because the Koolie is so keen to work at times they can tend to forget their introduction to stock on the cast and tend to sometimes startle the stock.
  • There are good and bad workers in each breed, and it all comes down to what you require for yourself as far as stock goes.
  • My other Koolie I owned was totally wild on stock it was always a big game to him.
  • He dropped stock and would just let them go and always looked for the opportunity to bite uncalled for needless to say he doesn’t work stock now.
  • I trial both my dogs in yard trials and utility.
  • I am in suburbia so don’t have access to stock as much as I would like to.
  • The Kelpie is very independent in everything she does, that is in her genetic makeup.
  • My Koolie is my shadow.
  • I prefer the Koolie as he is calm and nothing much ruffles his feathers.
  • Where Demi is a 'flibbity gibbet' she just can’t keep still, and has to be moving and working all the time, no off button (she’ll even work the other dogs when there are no sheep).
  • Demi will work sheep for anyone if she knows they are in charge whereas Chance has to know you before he will go to work for you.
  • Working ability does come back to breeding, Chance's daughter Fleck is a natural backing dog where her dad needed to be taught.
http://www.australian-koolies.info/Training Articles/Koolies V Kelpies.htm

Here's a thread on another forum about Border Collies vs Kelpies

Overall, the biggest thing I've found being repeated as core temperaments are

*Natural off switch
*Very up beat/outgoing
*Work for you rather than just the reward but tend to not work well for others
*When young, easily distracted by people and dogs
*People and dog friendly
*Not as prone to bitchiness
*Will try their hearts out for you
*Endless energy and will never quite on you
*Can be soft to their person

But the breed has a ton of variety so that does make this difficult, I think the only thing I've ever seen said by ALL people is the three I bolded.

Members online

No members online now.