Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
It's odd. Some of it must be regional (or rather the dogs in the regions tend to come from the same lines).
I would say that's likely. Also certain trainers or groups that encourage the same things. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Let it be

My boy is leash reactive. He will flip his lid on another dog posturing on a lead (we are working on it) but he also happens to be very dog friendly when not on his leash. Dogs can bully the crap out of him and he just comes running back to let you fix the situation. I don't consider that common though.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
It's odd. Some of it must be regional (or rather the dogs in the regions tend to come from the same lines). I'd put the male border collies I know, for the most part, as some of the best dogs I've seen with dog/dog interactions. Including agility dogs. Just super stable dogs in that regard. The females I know tend to be more like Meg - not looking for a fight, but reactive to dogs that get in their space.
I notice the same thing with males vs. females. I also think females tend to get a bit more reactive as they age, and males stay a bit more stable as far as dog-dog interactions go. I've never met a super intolerant male BC.

Interesting to hear about different behavior in different regions.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Merlie Girlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I had this conversation with someone else yesterday but from what I see in the agility world a lot of the issues with performance BCs is people getting severely overdogged ie. people not really suited to a rocket fuel dog prone to motion reaction etc. getting a BC because they do well in agility...then focusing entirely on sport and being focused and in drive 100% of the time so the dog never learns how to function in the world and is in a constant state of arousal when around other people/dogs because they are either stuffed in a crate or out retrieving/tugging/running for the duration of the practice...and it just spirals. Yeah a lot of BCs are more prone to heading down that path than other dogs but I think they are also more often started down that path by people who mean well but don't realize the ramifications of what they are doing.

Just my 2cents though.
Excellent post. I've met some Border Collies bred for "Sport" that were literally aroused 24/7 and were shaky, reactive messes. I would say that it was the handler/owner, but several times these dogs were living far from each other (i.e states) and shared similar breeding. Very few people can handle the "high drive" [imo insane] dogs being created these days.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 PM
woof!

I haven't experienced the other breeds but as for the BC when I went to vacation in California we were at Seaworld San Diego and at the pet show they have a really beautiful tri-colored female, I'm impressed wit her see we don't have BC in my country.

Beauty and brains I'm in love , too bad the energy is way too high or is only the bred for sports BC the ones witout a off switch?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
Beauty and brains I'm in love , too bad the energy is way too high or is only the bred for sports BC the ones witout a off switch?
Nope, my sport bred BC has a great off-switch. BCs from bad breeders are more likely to have poor off-switches, and bad breeders can be found in working or sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Nope, my sport bred BC has a great off-switch. BCs from bad breeders are more likely to have poor off-switches, and bad breeders can be found in working or sport.
I see thanks for the info

How are the show lines compared to the others? maybe is a better for someone who is not able to exercise too mush?

Like in labs lines, for what I understand the show ones a more laid than the hunting/working lines.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Let it be

It sort of defeats the point of having a Border Collie. Mine is super mellow yet he still needs a fair bit of exercise even being on the less extreme side of a BC. He is very much lazy inside but he goes bonkers and starts doing less than desirable things when he's cooped up for too long.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
How are the show lines compared to the others? maybe is a better for someone who is not able to exercise too mush?
I have heard mixed things about show collies and would probably personally avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
It sort of defeats the point of having a Border Collie.
This exactly. If you want a mellower dog with lower exercise/stimulation needs, than your best bet would be to consider a different breed. That's not to say there wouldn't be differences in energy level between lines and breeders because there would, but if you want a dog with less needs in terms of activity I think it would make more sense to look into a breed with similar characteristics (biddable, versatile, handler oriented, etc.) but less energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
It sort of defeats the point of having a Border Collie. Mine is super mellow yet he still needs a fair bit of exercise even being on the less extreme side of a BC. He is very much lazy inside but he goes bonkers and starts doing less than desirable things when he's cooped up for too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
I have heard mixed things about show collies and would probably personally avoid them.

This exactly. If you want a mellower dog with lower exercise/stimulation needs, than your best bet would be to consider a different breed. That's not to say there wouldn't be differences in energy level between lines and breeders because there would, but if you want a dog with less needs in terms of activity I think it would make more sense to look into a breed with similar characteristics (biddable, versatile, handler oriented, etc.) but less energy.
Yeah, I agree wit the opinions.

I will like to own a bigger dog in the future but I don't think a long stroll will be enough for a BC.

Unfurtunly we don't have areas were we can do dog sports aside from a dog "school" that has some homemade agility stuff but they beat dogs and the owner of the place mills puppies and they are in terrible condition of hygiene so I'm not going to support them.

Of dog activities we only have the occasional conformation show or those dress up contest, I guess that's the main reason no one owns a BC here.

My father owns a farm outside the city wit many cattle and some few sheep and pigs, I guess that's the better thing a BC can ask for, however the area has become very risky (mostly for a young woman to go) in the latest years since now there are lot of drug dealers wit their plantations and fights for their terrains and distributions

Many times my father says he wants to sell his properties and buy in a safer area, but I doubt it will happen since he was born and raised in that area.

He does have like 7 dogs, they are mutts but they only scare coyotes away, they don't herd at all.