Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Active Pup

Smile Looking for small dog advice =)

Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting a very small house dog for my family on Christmas.. not like a Chihuahua but more like a Yorkshire terrier. I was curious about how difficult house training would be, and if the hardwood floors are ideal, or would become damaged by claw marks. Also I'm concerned about the possible chewing habits.

Any advice on what kind of dog breed to buy or information on an indoor dog's behavior would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

http://dogbreedinfo.com/yorkshireterrier.htm hope this helps

Old 11-26-2005, 03:55 PM
It wasn't me

the floors shouldn't be a problem. just keep the nails cut and you can file them too. i suggest getting an adult or mature dog from a shelter or rescue group that is already house trained. Search your local ones for small breed dogs and find one that melts your heart. But do a little research on what breed or mix will be appropriate for you and your family. One might need more stimulation and exercise while another might want to be by your side all day long. I think it's nice you may get a dog for your family but a lot of consideration needs to take place. making the house safe for the dog, making sure you and your family can devote time to a new pet.

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 11-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Active Pup

Thanks Juicy for the link, I'm definity leaning towards a Yorkie.. they're so cute, and hopefully not very destructive lol.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

http://dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm This might also help you in selecting the right breed.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Active Pup

I would love to adopt a homeless dog from a shelter, and if he were already trained that'd be great. I've had two dogs in the past, but neither were the appropriate size for staying indoors so I was curious to know if small dogs chew a lot.. and if so, could it be managed with chew toys, or is it just a stage all dogs go through?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:17 PM
GSDGurl

All Puppies chew alot but lots of toys and some deterent spray such as bitter apple can save the day.Also crating the pup while unable to supervise will help.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:23 PM
:( only one :(

Hello and welcome to Chazhound! A Yorkshire terrier is a wonderful little dog and people here already gave you great information. I just wanted point out that getting a puppy or dog during Christmas holidays isn't such a great idea. During all the hustle and bustles of the season, pups go through lots of confusion and stress. It's better to wait till after the holiday when things are much calmer for the wee pup. If the pup was a Christmas surprise I find a better way to surprise people about the new furry friend is to wrap up items for the pup, like bed, dishes, leash, collar with maybe a special card attached to it indicating the soon arrival of the new dog.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Active Pup

Thanks Giny, I was actually considering adopting sometime early next month, before things were to get busy so our new pet could adapt to his/her new surroundings.

I'm also wondering if there are any big differences in personality between females and males.. Maybe it depends on the breed, but I've only had male dogs, and I'd like to have a girl so I can give her a girly name lol.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Walks into Mordor

I wouldn't worry about male or female. Just go by the individual pup's personality, that's the most important thing. Another question: are there young children in your family? If there are, a Yorkie might not be the best breed right now. A toddler or young child could accidently hurt a toy dog.