Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Active Pup

Default Guarding home with ON/OFF switch

My dog Pitbull 1 year guards home barks on every noise behind door. But my neighbours have small annoying dogs and they sometimes randomly bark and my dog catches up and then barking just goes on and on unless i stop her.

I read before about way to train dog to guard home on command like tell her start guarding when need to and when dont say stop guarding and she stops. Can someone tell me how this type of training called so i can find more info on it? Or if you have link to article please share.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 AM
and Spy.

The best security your dog could probably offer you is to alert bark (which it sounds like she already does) and have a command to 'cease barking'. So when Spy (my BC) barks at the door, he knows that when I say thank you I am letting him know I appreciate the warning and he can be quiet now.

Training your dog to seriously guard your house is asking for liability problems, IMO. Typically a barking dog is enough to dissuade potential bad guys. In this case, I think your best option is to teach her to stop barking on command and just enjoy her as a family pet rather than a guard dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Basically you're asking the dog to respond to a "watch 'em" command with a bark?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Active Pup

Ignore the dog while it is barking. When you yell at the dog while it is barking, it thinks you are barking with it, and it is also getting attention from you.

Get with friends, and get them to walk by and make noise outside--stand in front of your dog with treats, and give her treats when she is quiet, ignore her when she barks or growls.

Also, give the dog more to do in the house so the outside noises are less prevelant--one of those balls where they have to roll it around to get treats out can keep a dog occupied for a long time, and stimulates them, which is what they need.