Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Calling other woman mom....
I have called friends' moms 'mom' no biggie 7 14.58%
Nope, can't do it, feels wrong. 34 70.83%
Meh, it's just a word........who cares? 2 4.17%
Hershey bar with almonds 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Let it be

I only will call my mother Mom. I don't even call my stepdad Dad. I call him Serge because thats how I grew up. I don't refer to my bio father as dad either though. I'm pretty stuck in that and have no desire to call anyone else Mom or Dad.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I didn't technically marry a family, I married a man with the added bonus of more family members. there are lots of people in my life that I am not related by blood to but are my family none the less.

I think it is easier for guys too, Coop. There was never any sort of internal struggle for Brian about what to call my mother lol. For me it was something I would lose sleep over sometimes LOL. If I called someone else mom I'd be up all night thinking about it lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

What bugs me about his family is that they are constantly harping on about how I should make an effort to be part of the family and then they all sit and talk about me when I am not there. (Well, his mother and younger sister do)

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
What bugs me about his family is that they are constantly harping on about how I should make an effort to be part of the family and then they all sit and talk about me when I am not there. (Well, his mother and younger sister do)
well yeah... that totally sucks. My sister is a lot like that so we really just keep our distance from her

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Let it be

Tyler told he I should call his mother Mom because I am the daughter she never had. I was like uhh... Tyler I like your mom, we get along and all but we do not have that kind of mother daughter relationship. I'd feel incredibly awkward especially because if I called her Mom I'd feel obligated to call your dad Dad and he doesn't even speak to me directly. It'd just be weird for me and it'd be so unnatural.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I have somebody at work who adopted me as her granddaughter and I'll call her Nan from time to time. Generally I don't call other people mom/dad, the boyfriend's parents refer to themselves as mom/dad to me (like I'll be leaving to the guesthouse and if I don't say anything his dad will say "bye dad, goodnight" to remind me)

However, we've always grown up calling our non-family family. My dad was "adopted" (aka lived with them for 8 years) by friends of his family, he always called the parents mom/dad and we grew up calling them Nanny/grandpa, and their kids and uncle/aunt. We consider their kids cousins, and they consider my parents as aunt/uncle.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

I rarely call my MIL anything other than her given name, If I call her something else is Ma, never. ever. Mom. That word is reserved for my mom and my mom only.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 PM
orange iguanas.

Nope, only my mother gets the term mom. That's weird otherwise.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
However, we've always grown up calling our non-family family.....
Don't have a problem with that at all. For example, if good old 'Dave' has been a close friend of the family for years, the kids can call him uncle Dave if he doesn't mind! And if good old uncle Dave has kids..........well those kids can be honorary cousins if you want! All that is fine and good, just not MOM or DAD, LOL
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

None of my friends ever called my mom mom. She was about the farthest thing from "mom" any of my friends could ever consider, and she actually chased a good many friends away. So I never had to think about any of that. I never called any of my friends moms "mom" though, either.

There was one friend I was extremely close to, and her family. And, according to them, they very much adopted me into the family(and were willing to sign the papers). I used to spend weeks over there, and it was always a great time. Not just fun, but happy. They'd go see other parts of the family, go on family vacations, and I was there, always. I called all the aunts/uncles Aunt/Uncle ___ and her grandparents by their titles as well. But I never called her parents Mom/Dad. It never really occurred to me to do so, although they called me their daughter plenty of times. I guess by then, mom/dad had taken on a new meaning for me, and I was soured by it. But I did very much, and to this day still do, consider them all more family then my own blood.

As far as marriage, I don't call DH's mom/dad mom/dad either. They're nice, I really like his Dad, but he isn't "Dad" to me. His mom used to pester me all the time to call her "Mom", and I was her "daughter" but that changed somewhere down the road. Maybe after I didn't loan her money. But I'm Daughter-In-Law now. Lol.